Unofficial English Godzilla Monster Apocalypse and Project MG Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Unofficial English Godzilla Monster Apocalypse and Project MG Discussion

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Hello everyone! As you may or may not know, there's now finally a way to read both of the previously Japan only prequel novels in English. Yours truly took the time to use DeepL Ai Machine learning to translate the entirety of both novels. While not perfect (this was a one man job) I'm overall satisfied with how it all came out. I think they're in a state where you can read and enjoy the story, and feel like you aren't missing something.

You can find them on my Tumblr, or other places. Do not post any direct links here.

Despite me taking so much time to do this, I have mixed feelings on the two novels. They do a lot of really interesting things with Godzilla, and the Toho Ips. I think some people will be a little disappointed in the lack of firsthand monster action, but I think it has some of the weirdest and darkest ideas for the Godzilla series that simply cannot be done in a film. They are worth a read, at least once, and I'm hoping to get into the more nitty gritty of it once more people have read them.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Re: Unofficial English Godzilla Monster Apocalypse and Project MG Discussion

Post by KingCornetto »

Really appreciate you taking the time to do this. I’ll check it out when I finish the books I’m currently reading!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Oh snap, I'd given up hope on these a long time ago. Looking forward to reading them!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

LSD Jellyfish a question: for those who have seen Wikizilla's videos several times representing and summarizing the events of the novels, is there something different and something different has gained, who will read the texts or Wikizilla already has a better method?
I'm trying to say it without sounding like an ungrateful idiot.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ryu wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:54 am LSD Jellyfish a question: for those who have seen Wikizilla's videos several times representing and summarizing the events of the novels, is there something different and something different has gained, who will read the texts or Wikizilla already has a better method?
I'm trying to say it without sounding like an ungrateful idiot.
I think if you're just interested in the monsters, you probably won't get more out of it. It's rare that a character actually sees a monster firsthand and sees them. Most of the novels are recounting events. I think that's going to be disappointing for some people.

However, what the novels excel at is highs and lows of tragedy, despair, and hope. I don't think you'd get that by just reading a summary. There's many things various countries do in reaction to the monsters arriving that I think is really fascinating. Lots of interesting world building stuff and alternative histories. All the military strategies and their successes/failures are fun to read about. It's also full of some of the darkest stuff I've seen in Godzilla media, like child soldiers!

I think if you're reading it for the latter reason you'll find these to be worth reading. Plus they're short and easy reads I think.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.