Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs. Cthulhu

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Gigantis
Sazer

Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs. Cthulhu

Post by Gigantis »

I thought we already had a thread for this, but I couldn't find it.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_roo ... hulhu.html

Man, it's crazy to think this could have actually happened. The entire concept of Godzilla fighting Cthulhu has run rampant in vs debates and kaiju fan fantasies since.. forever, really. And only NOW are we finding out that it was genuinely considered to be a movie. The idea of Cthulhu in the classic, thunder thigh built Heisei era suit is honestly hilarious to imagine.. But at the same time, it's a double edge sword. The beam spamming of that era definitely wouldn't have given the concept the epic fight it deserves, and the more adventurous route the Heisei era was going probably wasn't too suited for the much darker Lovecraft stories.

Still, Cthulhu's in the public domain, and Toho nowadays doesn't seem like it'd be afraid to tackle the strange, horror toned themes Lovecraft had gone for. Maybe its only a matter of time..

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Re: Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs. Cthulhu

Post by StardustGenius »

Maybe a future IDW comic series? They're currently going to lose both Transformers and G.I. JOE as a property. Might as well draw audiences with another big crossover.

lol or maybe even a MV movie if they're that insane.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

In the beginning, Godzilla was first imagined as a giant octopus before turning into a dinosaur. This fact, and that Cthulu has an octopus like appearance, makes Cthulu an interesting choice of antagonist.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

StardustGenius wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:50 pm lol or maybe even a MV movie if they're that insane.
HP Lovecraft’s cat or bust.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

A crossover, clash that works for me. I had it on the brain since THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS episode, "The Collect Call of Catathullu". IDW had wanted to do it as part of their 2012 crossover theme event, INFESTATION II. Featuring various characters under their umbrella facing off with all sort've Lovecraftian threats. But Toho put a kibosh on that entry as many here already know. I'm still surprised though IDW didn't resurrect the meeting between Godzilla and Cthulhu for a miniseries. The Monsterverse has touched upon some of the themes in their flicks with "the previous inhabitants of the Earth" phrase popping up from time to time. With Cthulhu, and the Olds One being public domain characters, I don't think the powers that be at Toho would have much problem with the crossover.

Also, can't help but think of Clint Lee Warner's excellent fan fic featuring the two clashing. Showing how well it'd work.
https://www.kaijuphile.com/fannest/fict ... hu_1.shtml
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Man, a lot of these scrapped projects that were revealed recently sound more like fan fiction than something Toho was actually considering. Godzilla vs. MechaMothra, Toho Godzilla vs. TriStar Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Junior Godzilla and now this. What's next? Godzilla vs. The Giant Claw?
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Cthulhu goes full PD in 2024, along with Mickey Mouse. Once that Happens, Toho will be free to use the character.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:27 am Man, a lot of these scrapped projects that were revealed recently sound more like fan fiction than something Toho was actually considering. Godzilla vs. MechaMothra, Toho Godzilla vs. TriStar Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Junior Godzilla and now this. What's next? Godzilla vs. The Giant Claw?
Toho resurrects the Condor as La Carcagne, and the two kaiju fight it out in Hokkaido.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:08 pmCthulhu goes full PD in 2024, along with Mickey Mouse.
One can drive any human that gazes upon him to insanity, the other is Cthulhu.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Until 2024, we'll just have to be happy with Crustaceous Rex. It's the closest enemy to an octopus or squid that he's fought.