Short film: Godzilla vs Gigan Rex (2022)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
rationalorphan
Ronin

Re: Short film: Godzilla vs Gigan Rex (2022)

Post by rationalorphan »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:03 pm
FlawedCoil82 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:10 pm I didn’t enjoy Shin Godzilla having different forms, his immense power-up (beams shooting out of his back and tail?!) and then the fact that he needs to take a nap (same with Godzilla Earth) after he unleashes his power. I thought he looked alright, minus the useless skeleton arms and when his mouth opens wide like a snake. He just wasn’t a creature I could have any empathy for or care about.
Eh, suit yourself I guess. I for one have enjoyed a majority of the Reiwa era so far and am glad this franchise is evolving instead of just repeating the same old things over and over.
I think the Reiwa era has been going super hard so far. I can’t wait to see what the future has in store especially with the yamazaki film on the way.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

rationalorphan wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:56 pm
FlawedCoil82 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:10 pm I didn’t enjoy Shin Godzilla having different forms, his immense power-up (beams shooting out of his back and tail?!) and then the fact that he needs to take a nap (same with Godzilla Earth) after he unleashes his power. I thought he looked alright, minus the useless skeleton arms and when his mouth opens wide like a snake. He just wasn’t a creature I could have any empathy for or care about.
Eh, suit yourself I guess. I for one have enjoyed a majority of the Reiwa era so far and am glad this franchise is evolving instead of just repeating the same old things over and over.
I think the Reiwa era has been going super hard so far. I can’t wait to see what the future has in store especially with the yamazaki film on the way.
I just hope the design lacks any traces of Shin Godzilla, Heisei Godzilla and Legendary Godzilla like every new design has done since 2014. Time to give us one not directly influenced by an older one.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:19 am
rationalorphan wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:56 pm

I just hope the design lacks any traces of Shin Godzilla, Heisei Godzilla and Legendary Godzilla like every new design has done since 2014. Time to give us one not directly influenced by an older one.

That's actually a good point. We've been having "homage" type designs and influences since Final Wars. I think it would be nice to have a completely non-direct design Godzilla that just has the basic upright dinosaur tri-dorsal plate look but doesn't have say 64's eye brows, Heisei teeth, or shin chunky legs. Something were the designer can play with the design a little.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Id say that Ultima, design wise, doesn't really harken back to any of those three (obviously characterization wise its based on Shin)

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Executive Hamster wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:38 am Id say that Ultima, design wise, doesn't really harken back to any of those three (obviously characterization wise its based on Shin)
Peter Griffin.

ImageImage

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

What the hell I actually see the resemblance in a weird way
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Ultima is now Godzilla Griffin to me.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I think it's safe to say this is a Heisei continuation.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:33 pm Peter Griffin.
This is canon now

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

"Hey Lois, remember the time I turned into a monster that almost shattered the entire concept of time and space?"

Real talk though I was never a fan of Ultima's weird chin. Just looks like Thanos.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:19 am
You're right, it's about time Godzilla returns to his roots as an iguana.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I liked the film. I wasn't expecting to find much to enjoy in this based on what I saw of the designs in advance. The flock of Gigans was really cool but seeing normal Gigans made me appreciate the Gigan Rex as a unique entity much, much more. It felt very different and yet the Gigans all shared the same sadistic streak and personality we love in the character. Godzilla had a cool entrance and we got a cool fight out of it. I had a lot more fun with it than I expected and the effects were really impressive compared to my expectations.

I am surprised they took a Post-Heisei approach and made a completely new Godzilla design. I like the design but it reminds me more of other projects; so in my mind it feels like a separate branch of continuity.
FlawedCoil82 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:10 pmI didn’t enjoy Shin Godzilla having different forms, his immense power-up (beams shooting out of his back and tail?!) and then the fact that he needs to take a nap (same with Godzilla Earth) after he unleashes his power. I thought he looked alright, minus the useless skeleton arms and when his mouth opens wide like a snake. He just wasn’t a creature I could have any empathy for or care about.
While I still liked Shin Godzilla as an individual film and so forth, I didn't really take a lot of pleasure in these points of the movie either and agree. I might take the last sentence a step further and say that I really found no sense of personality in him at all. I can't say I feel a lot of sympathy for GMK's Godzilla but he still has a sense of personality to him. Shin at times feels like a Godzilla-shaped void; threatening and dangerous, but more programmed than instinctive. I do need to rewatch the film fresh again to get a better sense of him, I do want to emphasize that here, but I walked away feeling like I had seen a monster movie, but not necessarily a Godzilla movie.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Gigan Rex and the Drones really gave me Evangelion vibes. Reminds me of Sahaquiel and Shamshel.
For Emperor and Empire!

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Just to clarify the discussion I made about post biollante Heisei, for years I have seen on various fourms on Toho Kingdom, Sci Fi Japan, Tokyo monsters back in the day, Monsterzero news, ect... different Godzilla scholars like August Ragone, Keith Aiken, ect... make the case that the Heisei movies were just well marketed but were poorly reviewed by the movie critics in Japan and thus not that well liked by the Japanese GA. I also saw them make the claim that GMK was the only universally praised Godzilla film in 20 years during the Millennium era. I don't doubt that the Heisei were negatively panned by the movie critics, but I'm pretty sure the Heisei films are generally enjoyed in Japan even if the GA accepts the flaws.

Some of my past frustrations come out sometimes.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Gigan Miles and Gigan Rex have official stats now, it seems.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Gojira 41mk11
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojira 41mk11 »

I have mixed feelings on this short. Going into it, I already knew about and disliked the Gigan designs. I have so many issues with them, especially Gigan Miles, which I could go on about for ages. To make it short, Gigan Miles looks like if you sucked every bit of personality from ‘72 Gigan and then made all aspects of that hypothetical design worse. Gigan Rex looks like Gigan Miles, but halfway transformed into an Evangelion angel. Despite already being disappointed, I went into this short with about as open of a mind as I could. And to my surprise, I actually started to like what I saw… up until a second Gigan appears. The positive feelings I held through Gigan Miles’ scene fighting aircraft instantly vanished; from that point onward they would not come back. A horde of Gigan aimlessly wandering through the city has got to be my least favorite part of this whole thing; it goes against just about everything I like about this character.

And next came a scene I hold in equally low regard. Godzilla’s fight against the armada. The numerous Gigans just through themselves at their new foe, only to be killed by what seems to be some sort of melee hit and being tossed in what has to be the worst animation of the entire short. Beyond that, one gets blown to bits by an Atomic Pulse and another vaporized by Atomic Breath. Millennium Gigan has quite the reputation of being fragile, but even he could take a shot of Atomic Breath to the chest. Here, the Gigans are nothing more than canon fodder to be decimated from the slightest tap as they fruitlessly launch themselves at Godzilla without thought. Speaking of Millennium, I’ve long heard criticisms of him saying that he doesn’t feel enough like a cyborg. Personally, I never quite understood those complaints or really even fully understood why that would be an issue until I saw this short. If any Gigan doesn’t feel like a cyborg, it’s these things. I feel like I overuse “mindless drone” when it comes to this new incarnation of Gigan, but it’s really a perfect encapsulation of how I see them. They have no personality, there’s a dozen of identical copies, they morph their mechanical bodies in alien ways that I feel like I’ve seen dozens of times in other media with no trace of flesh; these are not the cybernetic sadist I adore so much, this is a robot hive mind.

Gigan has always felt individual in a way no other monster has to me. A space dinosaur turned into a cyborg by some alien race. There was a whole species of Godzilla, same with Rodan. Mechagodzilla was a machine built from the ground up, a new one could be constructed if ever needed. Mothra, despite being a goddess, seems to inhabit a perpetual chain of asexual reproduction. If she dies, there’ll always be a younger version of her ready to take over. King Ghidorah could very well be just one individual in a species of extraterrestrial hydras spread far throughout the universe. But Gigan was an entirely unique being. No longer a member of his original species, not quite a machine, but still possessing his original personality in conjunction with all new power. So to see him as a mass produced machine feels wrong to me on every level. I’ve been mentioning personality for a good while now, but what exactly do I mean by that?

In both Showa and Millennium, Gigan was a gleeful and energetic extraterrestrial terror, actively taking pleasure in inflicting terrible wounds on all those who opposed him and his masters. Whether it be him clapping his hooks together and laughing, (trying his best at) high fiving King Ghidorah over Godzilla’s body, cackling with Megalon as he watched Jet Jaguar and Godzilla trapped in a sea of fire, slowly raising a chainsaw in front of a helpless Godzilla, or striking an over the top victory pose in front of an explosion, Gigan always seemed to be having a great time throughout the movies he was in (with a few notable exceptions, of course). For better or for worse, I’d consider Gigan to be the most human-like kaiju in his behavior throughout Final Wars. Just thinking about all these moments makes me remember why I love this character as much as I do. Unfortunately, there’s nothing like this in Godzilla vs Gigan Rex. The Gigan Miles hive mind just throws itself at targets without question, nothing going on behind their 3mm tall visors. The red angel wannabe is hardly any better, just floating with flashy lights half the battle. It’s really a shame that Gigan Miles and Red have such small heads with blended facial features, because it takes a surprising amount away from them.

As I not-so subtly alluded to sentences ago, I’m not a fan of Gigan Rex’s portrayal either. I do think its abilities are cool looking and all, but they just don’t fit Gigan. Mixing the Hooking Anchors with the Bloody Chainsaws to make whips is an inspired idea, but in practice I just stare at the screen with mild distain. In a world were this short had better designs and characterization I may have loved this attack, but as it stands it’s just another disappointment. On the other end, I’m not sure I’d ever be on board for replacing Gigan’s buzzsaw with a hidden laser orb. The buzzsaw is too integral to the look of Gigan for me to enjoy whatever new stuff is going on in that department. If I go any further with this, I’ll just be repeating myself, so I guess onto the next bit.

A fleet of Gigan Miles are called in, they do literally nothing with Gigan’s most devastating weapon, then they all send glowing orbs to Gigan Rex and the whips become like a half circle around its back and the orbs are on the circle thing and that fives Gigan Rex a stronger beam or something. At this point, I had given up. Watching the colorful light show and explosions of the two warring colossi brought me no emotion other than ever so slight frustration. The short itself is good, don’t get me wrong. I respect the effort and talent behind bringing such an ambitious project to life. I just can’t bring myself to like it. I would’ve loved to enjoy this short and think every bit as highly of the new Reiwa Gigan as I do its predecessors. But unfortunately, as I’ve made explicitly clear in this lengthy post, that’s not what happened last Godzilla Day.

But in a rather spiteful way, I appreciate Godzilla vs Gigan Rex. Contemplating my distain for this short and its titular monster has given me the chance to understand why I loved Gigan so much in the first place. For that, I am begrudgingly grateful.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:43 am Gigan Miles and Gigan Rex have official stats now, it seems.
Y'know, I was expecting Gigan Rex to be a bit taller than that.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

FlawedCoil82 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:37 pmThen why did every film up until “Shin Godzilla” have me rooting for him (including the 1954 original)?
I feel like your sympathy should be with the people suffering ('We'll be where daddy is soon...')

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

tbeasley wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:07 pm
FlawedCoil82 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:37 pmThen why did every film up until “Shin Godzilla” have me rooting for him (including the 1954 original)?
I feel like your sympathy should be with the people suffering ('We'll be where daddy is soon...')
To say nothing about that little girl in the hospital who watches her mother die right in front of her from radiation poisoning...
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Adult Jr is apprantly 120m according to the director. Just saw it in a Facebook group so don't know if it's confirmed.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image