Short film: Godzilla vs Gigan Rex (2022)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Short film: Godzilla vs Gigan Rex (2022)

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I like how Gigan Rex has a complete "move-set". I garuntee it'll be endlessly incporated into fantasy matches, and fan fiction.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I think what I liked the most about this short, was the mecha anime influences in the choreography of the Gigan invaders. Gigan Rex is RED like Char is red from Gundam (he's 3 times faster), so clearly he's a level above the others. I can understand the dislike some have towards Gigan here, but I like it because it works as an alien monster design. Someone is given the choice to have their own take on something, why not do something that is similar but very different visually. I like that approach to this. Whether folks liked the design or not, it's clearly recognizable as Gigan.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

It was alright, certainly flashy. Overall cool. All the monsters were pretty stiff though.
Favorite Gigan versions are still Showa & 04.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The short film already has 1 million views on YT and is #17 on trending. That’s actually pretty crazy!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

On Twitter it's huge. The creator is pretty humble too.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

It was a lot better than I thought it'd be. I still don't care for the designs, but all in all it was a solid short film! The subtle implications that this was in the same universe as the Heisei films was interesting and Gigan Rex had a lovely array of attacks/abilities.

All in all, I give it a thumbs up.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm increasingly of the opinion that kaiju and animation just don't mix well, unless it's major studio CGI trying to convince you that something is actually on screen. Projects like this are just nothing burgers for me, reasonably fun to watch but ultimately unimportant and forgettable. *shrug*

It's really good that this short is getting so much attention, though. Maybe that will help convince Toho that monsters outside of the Big Five are marketable.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Japanese CGI hasn't progressed enough to get me invested in whats going on. This short was just a bunch of CGI objects floating around the bumping into each other to me.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

On one hand I thought it was pretty cool, on the other the Godzilla vs Destoroyah/Heisei continuation references were odd to have in a Gigan anniversary short. Kinda made me realize a whole new generation of creators in Japan now have grown up with the Heisei/Millennium films as much as the Showa era, if not more so. Moving forward we'll likely see more stuff like this.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

^
That's what all the comments on YT and Twitter tell me too. Good for them.

The incoming cope from folks who don't like Heisei or Millennium is going to be great tho. I welcome it.

It's something lots of folks just can't wrap around their heads; there's people out there who like it! When I was in grad school for the Asian Studies program, and did assistance work for the professors, it was very interesting to hear the nerdy bachelor students from Japan who were into Godzilla and tokusatsu in general, fondly talk about the millennium and Heisei movies. SHOCK! Completely shocked!
Last edited by StardustGenius on Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

rationalorphan
Ronin

Post by rationalorphan »

Had to pre order those Godzilla store figures

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Would anyone be opposed to the production team behind this short doing an entire Godzilla movie?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:52 pm Would anyone be opposed to the production team behind this short doing an entire Godzilla movie?
Certainly not. Compared to the Godzilla vs. Gigan live action short, this one felt a little rushed... or, at the very least, could have used another 3 minutes. I feel like they could do some really wild things with even more time and budget, but mostly time. Also, props to the sound design team, really got immersed in the short.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

My favorite part about this is that it originated from a fan project for that Gemstone contest a while back. It must be pretty crazy for the creators to have their own designs of Godzilla and Gigan now official pieces of Godzilla media (with their own Bandai toys!).

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:52 pm Would anyone be opposed to the production team behind this short doing an entire Godzilla movie?
For now I'd rather they work on these shorts. It gives us another Godzilla avenue and they are good at the CGI fights and destruction.

Added in 18 minutes 47 seconds:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... mPKpb_SmOP

Leaving this here as Toho want these taken offline in 6 days.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:07 pm
For now I'd rather they work on these shorts. It goes us another Godzilla avenue and they are good at the CGI fights and destruction.
In the near future perhaps?

rationalorphan
Ronin

Post by rationalorphan »

I really would like to see more experimental short films and things. It’s a great way to keep a flow of new content and ideas in between film releases

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Any kind of animated feature with this staff would be nice to see. An OVA would be nice too. Expand upon the Gigan attack. Were the other Gigans that showed up, attacking around the world? I assume the invaders are the Nebula Space Hunter M aliens. Anyway, the visuals and the choreography are good. There's potential for even more cool visuals given more time, or a script. A squad of Gigans destroying New York, Washington DC, Paris, etc, all the major world capitals. More Singular Point, more of this. Less Polygon Anime Trilogy please.

"Why go back to Heisei even?"

Well why the heck not? The premise of an adult Godzilla Junior being back was interesting enough for Toho to consider it a few times in the past. The numbers speak for themselves. There clearly is an interest for a project like this. 1.8 million views ain't nothing.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

This post is quite overdue but personally, I loved it! Gigan Miles still reigns as my favorite Gigan design and I honestly like them even more after the buzzsaw reveal. I've always wanted to see Godzilla have white atomic breath again so the power-up was really cool. And of course, the big red Gigan himself was awesome. Honestly, I don't really get the complaints about him. My only gripe with his powers is that they didn't visibly hurt Godzilla all that much.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:19 am This post is quite overdue but personally, I loved it! Gigan Miles still reigns as my favorite Gigan design and I honestly like them even more after the buzzsaw reveal. I've always wanted to see Godzilla have white atomic breath again so the power-up was really cool. And of course, the big red Gigan himself was awesome. Honestly, I don't really get the complaints about him. My only gripe with his powers is that they didn't visibly hurt Godzilla all that much.
I think the complaints are that the powers Gigan Rex uses, after Godzilla gets the upper hand, really don't represent an "evolution" of Gigan, but rather "make him strong". I think the chainsaw whips are a perfect upgrade, as are the powerful chest weapon, but the weird way it controls the other Gigans+that laser loop are a bit out there. It doesn't ruin the short at all, but it's just that maybe some people wish it was more of that specific fight.

Glad you enjoyed It though. I did too. People have been discussing how they hope this creator has involvement in the franchise in the future and I agree. I just hope more time and money are given.