Short film: Godzilla vs Gigan Rex (2022)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: Short film: Godzilla vs Gigan Rex (2022)

Post by shadowgigan »

I'm much more open to a Heisei sequel after watching this. Previously I was pretty opposed to the idea.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Before this short I really did not care to revisit the Heisei world. An animated series, or OVA, or feature might be the best way to do it.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Rather than seeing a direct continuation of GvD, I would rather see a follow up to the first two entries (G84 and GVB). The 90’s films will be ignored.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:00 am Rather than seeing a direct continuation of GvD, I would rather see a follow up to the first two entries (G84 and GVB). The 90’s films will be ignored.
The dichotomy… you always complain about how much the 90s films are hated, but then want them ignored in a potential sequel.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:13 am
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:00 am Rather than seeing a direct continuation of GvD, I would rather see a follow up to the first two entries (G84 and GVB). The 90’s films will be ignored.
The dichotomy… you always complain about how much the 90s films are hated, but then want them ignored in a potential sequel.
I could do with either or. I just reckon that the 90’s films are too botched for most people around here to warrant a continuation.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:34 am
Voyager wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:13 am
I could do with either or. I just reckon that the 90’s films are too botched for most people around here to warrant a continuation.
But hey! Don’t let other people’s opinions change yours. I may not be down for a continuation of the Heisei Era (I’d prefer a Showa continuation), but to each their own :)
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If a return to Heisei is not after Destroyah then there is no point in even doing so.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:53 am If a return to Heisei is not after Destroyah then there is no point in even doing so.
Plus the number of fans who dislike post biollante Heisei is an extreme minority, both in Japan and America. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is very popular in Japan and is looked at as Japan's equivalent of Independence Day (here's a reddit conversation I had with a fan from Japan https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... away_from/).
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

darthzilla99 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:52 am
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:53 am If a return to Heisei is not after Destroyah then there is no point in even doing so.
Plus the number of fans who dislike post biollante Heisei is an extreme minority, both in Japan and America. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is very popular in Japan and is looked at as Japan's equivalent of Independence Day (here's a reddit conversation I had with a fan from Japan https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... away_from/).
..... what???

He's comparing it to Independance Day it terms of the patriotic stance it takes. I doesn't sound at all like he's discussing the films in terms of popularity.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

The entire Heisei series is amazing. Just peak Godzilla through and through. IDK why anyone would want to scrap 3/4ths of it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I don't know if Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991) is really compareable to Indepndence Day in terms of raw popularity and saying power. Mothra vs. Godzilla (1992), prior to Shin Godzilla, was the highest grossing Godzilla film in Japan. The idea that the latter Heisei series entries aren't popular in Japan is a bizarre take, as when at fan events, I've seen many people obsess over Space Godzilla and Destoroyah.

As Miguel said, there's zero point to arbitrarily suggest to cut off the latter half of the Heisei Era.

This conversation is bizarre as it's very blatant that this is meant as a "continuation" of Junior's story, so you're arguing against a nonsensical hypothetical idea (continue Heisei from Vs. Biollante) versus an actual thing that exists (Gigan Rex probably being a loose continuation of the heisei series).
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

To touch on LegendZilla's idea, orginally I wanted a new Godzilla series to pick up with ROG but that would have ignored Biollante as well and left the door open for Heisei Godzilla vs Reiwa Godzilla.

But Godzilla vs Gigan rex is the best of both worlds. It wraps up Jr's stroy which is what a lot of the go back to heisei camp wanted but it also can be stand alone as it could be Jr or it could not be Jr, and it doesn't waste a live action movie slot tying back to the Heisei series.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

FlawedCoil82 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:25 amI sincerely hope that the upcoming new film will right this sinking ship
Godzilla has never been more popular.
FlawedCoil82 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:10 pmI didn’t enjoy Shin Godzilla having different forms, his immense power-up (beams shooting out of his back and tail?!) and then the fact that he needs to take a nap (same with Godzilla Earth) after he unleashes his power. I thought he looked alright, minus the useless skeleton arms and when his mouth opens wide like a snake. He just wasn’t a creature I could have any empathy for or care about.
It's fine if you don't like it but that's also the point, he's supposed to be incompatible with human life.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:25 pm
..... what???

He's comparing it to Independance Day it terms of the patriotic stance it takes. I doesn't sound at all like he's discussing the films in terms of popularity.
If you read the whole back and forth discussion between him and me, he specifically mentions that it is interesting that Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is as loved as it is and compares the fact that it's really loved in Japan while in America it's considered a standard Godzilla film. He does mention that the dinosaur sequence is often cut out in TV airings. In fact the whole gist of our conversation was discussing popularity of random different Godzilla films. He does mention that while Godzilla 2014 is looked at as a decent reboot, the rest of the monsterverse is disliked for the Atomic bomb in KOTM and feeling like the Monsterverse robbed the Japanese fanbase of having a sequel to Shin Godzilla.

Granted this is anecdotal since he mentions this was the opinion of his coworkers in our back and forth discussion.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

darthzilla99 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:49 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:25 pm

..... what???

If you read the whole back and forth discussion between him and me, he specifically mentions that it is interesting that Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is as loved as it is and compares the fact that it's really loved in Japan while in America it's considered a standard Godzilla film. He does mention that the dinosaur sequence is often cut out in TV airings. In fact the whole gist of our conversation was discussing popularity of random different Godzilla films. He does mention that while Godzilla 2014 is looked at as a decent reboot, the rest of the monsterverse is disliked for the Atomic bomb in KOTM and feeling like the Monsterverse robbed the Japanese fanbase of having a sequel to Shin Godzilla.

Granted this is anecdotal since he mentions this was the opinion of his coworkers in our back and forth discussion.
They know how I felt with Shin Godzilla in that case if they think the MV robbed them.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Until Toho decides that this is the official continuation of the Heisei era, I think you're meant to interpret it for yourself if that's the case.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

tbeasley wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:21 pm
FlawedCoil82 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:25 amI sincerely hope that the upcoming new film will right this sinking ship
Godzilla has never been more popular.
FlawedCoil82 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:10 pmI didn’t enjoy Shin Godzilla having different forms, his immense power-up (beams shooting out of his back and tail?!) and then the fact that he needs to take a nap (same with Godzilla Earth) after he unleashes his power. I thought he looked alright, minus the useless skeleton arms and when his mouth opens wide like a snake. He just wasn’t a creature I could have any empathy for or care about.
It's fine if you don't like it but that's also the point, he's supposed to be incompatible with human life.

Then why did every film up until “Shin Godzilla” have me rooting for him (including the 1954 original)? Even though he was the villain, he was still oddly sympathetic and awe-inspiring. Virtually all those films wanted the viewer to like or have compassion for him. But in Shin, there is no sympathy or anything to like about him. Much like Godzilla Earth and GINO, he was so ugly and repulsive looking that I just wanted him off the screen. I don’t want to feel disgust towards a creature that I have loved since I was a kid.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I don't think I've ever "rooted" for Godzilla in 1954, but you're certainly correct in saying that 54 is way more sympathetic than Shin Godzilla, and certainly more sympathetic then Godzilla Earth and Ultima. Shin Godzilla, if one recalls, didn't really do anything wrong. It was a weird creature that surfaced, caused destruction, and was subsequently attacked repeatedly. The worst it did only immediately ocurred after humanity launched a bunker-bomb into it's spine, and frightened it. A lot of the lyrics to the music, and supplementary material by Anno, hint at that it's a creature/conciousness that really is no longer in control of it's body. It's pretty sad when viewed in that light. However, a big disadvantage Shin has, is that it doesn't fight another monster. If say, a bigger evil appeared, I'm sure you'd be able to get behind it more.

Earth was a totally botched attempt at providing an exaplantion that humanity had done so much countless destruction to the Planet Earth, that humanity "deserved" to have civilization wiped out. The prequel novels elaborate greatly on that, implying that Godzilla is "sad", and making it more clear that humanity could freely exist at a limited pre-civilization level, and showcased countries and people reaptedly stabbing each other in the back. Ultima is a terraforming monster, which I like in juxtaposition to Jet Jaguar, the big damn hero. However, we need to see more of it, and I'm starting to get a sense season 2 is looking unlikely.

But yes, you're right: we haven't gotten many Toho Godzilla's that we can "root for" or be sympathetic too. I agree that it was cool seeing Godzilla fight for the Earth/Humanity, or at least fight another creature. I don't think it's a step in the right direction, just another step in the road. I liked this short, the live-action short, Shin, and SP. I appreciate them all now due to variety.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Does every Godzilla NEED to be sympathetic? Not to mention I thought Shin WAS pretty sympathetic but I digress. I agree that a sympathetic Godzilla is more compelling but I feel like characterization can be a bit more diverse than that. I always liked how Ultima represented an unstoppable catastrophe. That's what made it one of my favorite interpretations of the character, on top of the design. The threat felt real and intimidating.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

My 2 cents; If you’re gonna make a Godzilla sympathetic, he better damn well be a likeable character. Showa’s got his camp and charm while Heisei’s got that edge and awesomeness.

If not, go wild. Make Godzilla ridiculously evil if you really wanted.
For Emperor and Empire!