Heisei Godzilla doesn't remember 84 or Biollante?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Heisei Godzilla doesn't remember 84 or Biollante?

Post by eabaker »

canofhumdingers wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:09 am
eabaker wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:58 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:27 pm
Time travel looks like what ever you change from the point you leave effects when you return. Godzilla is only effected in 1992 and 1944 but Ghidorah is effected in 1992 and 2204 for example.
But travel between 1992 and 1945 does not change the history the characters remember, whereas travel between 2204 and 1992 results in a completely separate timeline.
But does it? The film doesn’t really give us much to go on regarding the changes to 2204. I think we have to assume that if things pop in or out of existence in 1992 based on what they did in 1944, then things (like KG’s body at the bottom of the ocean) must pop in or out of existence in 2204 based on what they do in 1992. Nothing in the film really contradicts this.

Where it gets dicey is when considering the timeline of events that occur now that Godzilla exists and is active again not aligning with the history the Futurians say is going to happen. But I don’t recall them specifically saying Godzilla never comes back. But clearly he never destroys japan’s ability to become the super power (and again, you could theorize that their interference actually helps Japan become so powerful by giving them a massive leap in robotics and computers when they salvage MGK).

But it’s also possible the time travel creates branching timelines. But each time traveler is not able to jump timelines. So, Emi comes back to 1992 (and 1944) and alters events, but she is only able to return to her original future, not this new future with Godzilla around (which is the future we as viewers experience through the rest of the Heisei films). So she was not actually able to change her own past, but only have an effect on her own future (by things popping in or out of existence). This would also jive with the characters from 1992 not being able to change their own past (G84 and Biollante) but only able to create a diverging timeline from the point they initiated their time travel (1992).

Added in 11 minutes 5 seconds:
Haha, I just realized miguelnuva nailed in his first sentence in the quote.

And it’s an interesting point and one not even the Futurians understood. The time travel rules in this film are such that you cannot alter your own past. Changes you make to the past only affect your future from the point you began time traveling.

It’s actually pretty funny when you think about it. The Futurians stole the time machine in order to change their own past without understanding how the machine actually worked. They could never achieve their stated goals with the machine they stole.
But they do change their own past. They depart from a 2204 in which Godzilla never destroyed Japan, and Emi returns to a 2204 in which Godzilla did destroy Japan.

Added in 59 seconds:
SpiderZilla wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:53 pm
canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:30 pm It also means the question of this thread title is, in fact, correct. The newly created Godzilla in 1992 would not have experienced the events in ‘84 or vsBio even though he was spawned from the same Godzillasaurus.
I presume the reverse is also true: The newly created Godzilla experienced events prior to 1992 that no one else remembers.
Somehow I missed this comment the first time, but yes, this is my assumption as well, and I'd love to know how that sequence of events differs from the one we're familiar with.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

eabaker wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:13 am But they do change their own past. They depart from a 2204 in which Godzilla never destroyed Japan, and Emi returns to a 2204 in which Godzilla did destroy Japan.
Does she? Man I *just* watched the dub with my kids a few days ago and I don’t remember this bit. If so, I give up lol

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

canofhumdingers wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:54 am
eabaker wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:13 am But they do change their own past. They depart from a 2204 in which Godzilla never destroyed Japan, and Emi returns to a 2204 in which Godzilla did destroy Japan.
Does she? Man I *just* watched the dub with my kids a few days ago and I don’t remember this bit. If so, I give up lol
She does return to a destroyed Japan but Emi didn't change her past Godzilla did.

Godzilla and Ghidorah are added to history in 1992 so they change history from 1992 onward. What happens in 92 effect 2204 and what happened in 44 effected 1992.

The reason the Futurians couldn't go back and move the dinosaur again is likely because they would have lost Ghidorah as they had no more dorats tomleave in 44 to make a second Ghidorah.

The time travel is very intreasting for debate here.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Marciosss
Yojimbo

Post by Marciosss »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:02 am
canofhumdingers wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:54 am
She does return to a destroyed Japan but Emi didn't change her past Godzilla did.

I don't think so. She still try to convice a old guy, and he talk about bad things that powerfull Japan did to other nations. He want Let Godzilla to destroy Japan, but he to don't understand that timeline can't be changed. He always would agree to build mecha Ghidorah, because in time travel case free will doesn't exist.