Creating New Iconic Monsters

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Creating New Iconic Monsters

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I really want to see a solo Rodan movie again. And in my head, the opponent would naturally be Megaguirus, but the thing about solo movies with Toho heavy hitters, is it's a great opportunity for new cool kaiju!
For instance, Rebirth of Mothra 2 might be whack but Dagara is a really cool kaiju.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

StardustGenius wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:56 am Note quite the same thing but Disney turned B league Marvel superheroes like Ironman and Thor into A Listers, and A Listers like the X-Men into cultural backburners in the span of two decades, so it's not impossible. It's all a matter of success, and circumstances, and some effort. Things I can't ever associate with Toho/WB at the moment.
And with DC, Harley Quinn was introduced over 50 years after Batman and the Joker, and yet she's become pretty darn iconic.
Friends don't lie.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

John Pannozzi wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:52 am
StardustGenius wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:56 am Note quite the same thing but Disney turned B league Marvel superheroes like Ironman and Thor into A Listers, and A Listers like the X-Men into cultural backburners in the span of two decades, so it's not impossible. It's all a matter of success, and circumstances, and some effort. Things I can't ever associate with Toho/WB at the moment.
And with DC, Harley Quinn was introduced over 50 years after Batman and the Joker, and yet she's become pretty darn iconic.
I think Harley's only been around a little over 25 or at least 30 years, as mentioned in the DC hardcover book Harley Quinn: A celebration of 25 Years (2017).
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Harley Quinn first appeared in Batman: The Animated Series in 1992. It's worth noting that she originated outside of the comic book source material, was adapted into the comics, and has grown into a household name. So, in theory, a new kaiju doesn't need to make its first appearance in a movie to become a big name. Not that such a scenario is likely, if course. Harley was very much lightning in a bottle.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I believe that embracing figures or symbols from Japanese culture could create some truly interesting kaiju that don't have to fall under the "Well it has Godzilla or x monster's DNA!" category, which in hindsight we've had for the past thirty years give or take. Say, it is said that tigers and dragons in both Japanese & Chinese folklore are comparable in strength, so perhaps a uniquely designed tiger kaiju could work in theory. I say this since we already have Manda & King Caesar, both of whom are clearly based off respective legends. And the Ultra series recently had a repainted kaiju fit the Singapore merlion, which was wonderful in representing that country's culture.

I'm just spitballing a way to approach creating a new monster that could decently become more prominent than recent new creations. There are several ways to do it. Because another factor is just appearing in a good film that gains traction. Kinda like the Harley Quinn analogy above, one of the reasons she really took off was because she was in something great - the animated series. Another example is how X23 was created for the X-Men Evolution show, and she become a famous character of her own whose reappeared in countless other media.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Old legends may help, but not always. Gabara is Oni like, but has only appeared twice, if you count Salunga. Orochi hasn't hit it big either, though you could argue that both monsters were in less than stellar movies.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:40 pm Old legends may help, but not always. Gabara is Oni like, but has only appeared twice, if you count Salunga. Orochi hasn't hit it big either, though you could argue that both monsters were in less than stellar movies.
Ghidorah already fills the multi-headed dragon/serpent niche, so I think that's part of why Orochi hasn't taken off.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

And Gabara co-starred with Barney-voiced Minya and a Kenny in short shorts. If he'd appeared in literally any other movie, I'm sure he'd have a vocal cult following like Varan or Gorosaurus.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I could see Orochi tying into Ghidorah if he ever returned. Maybe a bizarre subspecies, who lacked wings yet grew extra heads, that crash landed down to Earth oh so long ago. But of course, he awakens in modern day, fights Godzilla blah blah blah blah blah.

Technically speaking though, he wouldn't be "new" because he's appeared in previous Toho projects, he WOULD be new to the Godzilla franchise, only appearing in comic books till that point. And I'd say his return to film is needed; monster designs aside, Yamato Takeru was.. not very good.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

You guys talk about Orochi like it was something unique and special. It's a hydra, a creature that's been brought to life in countless different movies. I could see the monster coming back if Toho ever does another take on The Three Treasures, but they probably won't.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:12 am You guys talk about Orochi like it was something unique and special. It's a hydra, a creature that's been brought to life in countless different movies. I could see the monster coming back if Toho ever does another take on The Three Treasures, but they probably won't.
More specifically, it's a major part of Japanese folklore and Shintoism, impossible to actually trademark or control. Funnily enough, that's exactly how Orochi was able to make a new appearance in Godzilla Rage Across Time issue #1.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

They can still trademark the kaiju's design.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.