Godziban: Mothra vs Bagan (and others!)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godziban: Mothra vs Bagan (and others!)

Post by Shenanigans »

TitanoGoji16 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:33 pm Sure, but even with that train of thought in mind, it's STILL a big deal. There are plenty of "it's not a movie appearance" ways that Bagan could've popped up over the years - Toys, video games, comic books, or even, as you mentioned, Godzilla Island. And this is STILL the first time he's shown up since Movie Studio Tour.
Well put. I mean honestly, given how long its been since he's shown up in anything coupled with the fact that he's most known for never appearing in anything worthwhile would make most think Toho forgot the character (he's a non-character, really).

Toho's never brought a scrapped character back like this before, so while Godziban is just a silly little web thing, it nonetheless is extremely cool.
GigaBowserG wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:37 pm
Shenanigans wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:38 pm Is this the first time we've seen that iconic Bagan model outside of the Toho Studio Tour thing? Always wanted to see it in more detail (though this particular pic isn't great).

[]https://godzilla.store/godziban/images/ ... dvd_07.png[/]
There's also this image, which apparently originated from a magazine? Drove me bonkers for months but could never find where exactly it came from.

More than anything, I'm shocked Toho actually bothered to keep the GMST model! Makes me wonder if they have Dogolas sitting around in their vault somewhere, too.
I don't believe I've seen that image before, that's pretty neat. Certainly hope they share more in the coming months; I think I remember seeing a few behind the scenes pics from their Twitter account of the puppets, maybe they'll share more of this model too.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Certainly wasn't expecting this. I live the design they picked.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Maybe this could lead to Bagan showing up in other mediums besides feature films. i.e Video games comics and even TV.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:40 pm Maybe this could lead to Bagan showing up in other mediums besides feature films. i.e Video games comics and even TV.
I was already foaming at the mouth that maybe they are doing the marvel thing and sprinkling him to other things before they announce that movie is a Bagan solo film they have been working on. :twisted: but it's a pipe dream like Mothra vs Bagan film. Lol.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Limited pre-order bonus when you get the Blu-ray or DVD from the Godzilla Store, a lil Bagan keychain --

Shown a couple of hours ago during a Godzilla Store livestream, among other new collectibles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvPft0V_vac
Last edited by GigaBowserG on Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Can't help but wonder if Toho could be testing the waters for Bagan support. Maybe we'll get a short or direct to video/streaming special or something. Or if Bagan could pop up in the 2023 Bandai MMS poll. Still not excited for Godziban, but I'm more interested in what it could mean for Bagan's future, if he has one now.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Maybe Toho finally figured put that there actually is a market for 90s nerd nostalgia outside of bleeding the same 6 Heisei Godzilla films dry.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:35 am Maybe Toho finally figured put that there actually is a market for 90s nerd nostalgia outside of bleeding the same 6 Heisei Godzilla films dry.
Time to bleed out the lost projects! Ghost Godzilla, Gigamoth, World Ending Varan!

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:43 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:35 am Maybe Toho finally figured put that there actually is a market for 90s nerd nostalgia outside of bleeding the same 6 Heisei Godzilla films dry.
Time to bleed out the lost projects! Ghost Godzilla, Gigamoth, World Ending Varan!
One miracle at a time :lol: Though, interestingly, the most common requests I've seen following Bagan's reveal have been "Super Godzilla when" from US fans, and "Trading Battle monsters when" from JP fans.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:19 am
One miracle at a time :lol: Though, interestingly, the most common requests I've seen following Bagan's reveal have been "Super Godzilla when" from US fans, and "Trading Battle monsters when" from JP fans.
And I'm just here waiting for Krystalak and Obsidius.

Quote of the Year:

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

I'm agreeing with the JP fanbase. Screw Super, bring in the TB crew!
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Found a larger version of the Mothra vs. Bagan "poster".

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:40 pm Maybe this could lead to Bagan showing up in other mediums besides feature films. i.e Video games comics and even TV.
I wouldn't hold my breath, but if anything, I'd say his best chance is appearing in the game Godzilla Battle Line. Godziban posters can be found in it already, so maybe they'll add Bagan later in the year to promote the Godziban film. Unlikely to be sure, but would be pretty rad.
GigaBowserG wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:47 am Limited pre-order bonus when you get the Blu-ray, a lil Bagan keychain --

Shown a couple of hours ago during a Godzilla Store livestream, among other new collectibles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvPft0V_vac
Neat. Would've preferred a figure, but hey, Bagan has merch now. Full body looks good, pretty faithful to the model as far as I can see. The horns look bigger, which I honestly prefer.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

The Trading Battle kaiju ARE pretty awesome

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I don’t wanna be that guy, but is this foreshadowing for a guest appearance from Bagan in the 70th anniversary?
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:45 am I don’t wanna be that guy, but is this foreshadowing for a guest appearance from Bagan in the 70th anniversary?
Maybe it’s foreshadowing Toho more doing stuff with him, but not an actual film appearance.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Voyager wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:45 am I don’t wanna be that guy, but is this foreshadowing for a guest appearance from Bagan in the 70th anniversary?
Nah, the people working on the show were just fans of the monster, though the keychain merch is out of left field (I think even the show staff were surprised about that inclusion). It'll really boil down to how well received he was by fans, and if Toho even takes it into account, the same Toho that seems perfectly content with recycling the Big 5... and Hedorah/Gigan, due to anniversaries.
/crawls back under rock

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

So when Trading Battle kaiju?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The main take away from this is Bagan is on TOHO's mind. He was asked about during the production of the ps3/4 Godzilla game and now this do it seems Toho is willing to bring him up and he's not locked behind a don't use door.

Honestly Toho could take all their unmade Godzilla film ideas and flush them out and could make a whole series.

I'd like those as an animated series.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:33 pm The main take away from this is Bagan is on TOHO's mind. He was asked about during the production of the ps3/4 Godzilla game and now this do it seems Toho is willing to bring him up and he's not locked behind a don't use door.

Honestly Toho could take all their unmade Godzilla film ideas and flush them out and could make a whole series.

I'd like those as an animated series.
Plus Bagan's 30th Anniversary is next year since his first official appearance.

Added in 6 minutes 49 seconds:
I hope they don't leave us here Stateside hanging the DVD/Blu-ray doesn't have subs or dubs, I think this show could be pretty big in the fandom if they released that for us. I am not spending $70 for that just to get a Keychain Hopefully it is sold separately and we get a MMS figure.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:23 pm
I hope they don't leave us here Stateside hanging
They will
the DVD/Blu-ray doesn't have subs or dubs,
It won't. Trust me.
I think this show could be pretty big in the fandom if they released that for us.
Again, they won't. Things like this never get US releases. Toho doesn't release their own DVDs in this country. Someone here would have to license it, and the market for it is way too niche.
I am not spending $70 for that just to get a Keychain
No argument there.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.