Godziban: Mothra vs Bagan (and others!)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Godziban: Mothra vs Bagan (and others!)

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Felt this was exciting enough to make its own thread.

Godziban is getting a special release that includes a bunch of original shorts. Apparently the runtime for everything will be 90ish minutes.

https://godzilla.store/godziban/bd_dvd/

However, mostly excitingly, one of the shorts included in it, Is a special; “Mothra vs Bagan”! Pretty crazy. After all this time, Bagan is really back!

You can see Bagan 50 seconds in.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Re: Godziban: Mothra vs Bagan (and others!)

Post by kaijukurt »

Unexpected but very much welcome, the Bagan puppet looks good!

https://twitter.com/rickdasquirrel/stat ... AFRxYYu6A
Formerly known as kurtzilla

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

WHOO! Another official appearance of Bagan from Toho! It's about damn time.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Pssst, they’ve done a set of three Godziban Godzillas before. What if they release a proper MMS Bagan now!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:58 pm Pssst, they’ve done a set of three Godziban Godzillas before. What if they release a proper MMS Bagan now!
Oh please!!! :bagan:

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!

Now I NEED to actually watch this silly show! That's actually insane, I can barely form coherent thoughts. Props to the staff behind the show, they're such diehard fans that they're actually doing a Mothra vs. Bagan fight... Amazing.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It's Godjiban. It's a bunch of puppets. There's a ton of Toho monsters in it. Hooray, I suppose.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

What's different from the puppets in Godjiban to one seen in, say a film? Seeing Bagan return in any media is cool.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Yeah, this is legitimately awesome. Its insane to think that a character like this, who was considered for like a dozen different films over a couple decades, is only just now making his on-screen debut 40 years later. This is also only his second appearance in an official Godzilla project overall. I think its safe to say no one expected to see him ever again in any form.

Also of note is the fact that they based him on the famous model rather than the video game, making this the first official use of the design he is best known for. Really cool.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Add this to the list of "you would be called delusional" years ago if you mentioned this.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Yeah, seeing Bagan is cool and all. The puppet looks nice. But Godziban just isn't my cup of tea. Watched a few episodes of it a while back and never went back for more. I did get the cheap MMS figures just to have them, I'd do the same for a Bagan. But this isn't a celebration for me (yet) unless we see him in more actual media, such as comics, Battleline, or even a short where we get a suit and all.

Toho teaming with Tsuburaya to revive the long lost monster in the modern age for a direct to video/streaming/tv special would really peek my interest. I'll check out the Mothra vs. Bagan thing, but I don't expect to really "enjoy" it. As I said, puppet shows just aren't my thing.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

I wish it was one of Bagan's other concept art designs instead of the studio tour design, but it's still really cool to actually have a Mothra vs. Bagan of any sort happen so many years after the fact.
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

To everyone out there in social media land yelling "Ha, naysayers! You said it wouldn't happen!" my response is similar to MM's. It's Godziban. It's a kids YouTube puppet show. Much like it's predecessor, Godzilla Island, I dont think anything was ever off the table for this series. This is still vastly different from a movie appearance.

And the obvious reason why they're not going to use a concept design is because THIS design is actually something that was used somewhere. It's clearly looked at as Bagan's official design.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Imagine FINALLY making your big return after like, 40 years, but it's just for a puppet show aimed at little kids lmao.

But FR, seeing Bagan again is cool. I'm not the biggest fan of his Movie Studio Tour design though so I kinda agree with Froptston in saying I wish they used some of his other concept designs, but the model itself is pretty epic so whatevs. I'll probably give the special a watch, but I'll probably also forget about it after a month or so. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:03 am To everyone out there in social media land yelling "Ha, naysayers! You said it wouldn't happen!" my response is similar to MM's. It's Godziban. It's a kids YouTube puppet show. Much like it's predecessor, Godzilla Island, I dont think anything was ever off the table for this series. This is still vastly different from a movie appearance.

And the obvious reason why they're not going to use a concept design is because THIS design is actually something that was used somewhere. It's clearly looked at as Bagan's official design.
Cope.

Do Bride of Godzilla next.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Is this the first time we've seen that iconic Bagan model outside of the Toho Studio Tour thing? Always wanted to see it in more detail (though this particular pic isn't great).

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Wow, who'd've thought, huh? Bagan finally gets to be in something that isn't a video game. Good for him. It's about time. Sure, it's just Godziban, but it's better than nothing. Hopefully, like LSD Jellyfish said, this at least results in us finally getting a Bandai Bagan figure. That'd be really cool.
Legion1979 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:03 amIt's Godziban. It's a kids YouTube puppet show. Much like it's predecessor, Godzilla Island, I dont think anything was ever off the table for this series. This is still vastly different from a movie appearance.
Sure, but even with that train of thought in mind, it's STILL a big deal. There are plenty of "it's not a movie appearance" ways that Bagan could've popped up over the years - Toys, video games, comic books, or even, as you mentioned, Godzilla Island. And this is STILL the first time he's shown up since Movie Studio Tour.
Shenanigans wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:19 amAlso of note is the fact that they based him on the famous model rather than the video game, making this the first official use of the design he is best known for.
Fropston wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:01 amI wish it was one of Bagan's other concept art designs instead of the studio tour design
Legion1979 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:03 amTHIS design is actually something that was used somewhere. It's clearly looked at as Bagan's official design.
It's weird, really. If anything, you'd think the Super Godzilla incarnation would be the one to be treated as his official design. Super Godzilla was released on the main gaming console at the time in both Japan and America and is a fairly well-remembered game. Movie Studio Tour was a fairly rare CD-ROM game that even a lot of hardcore Godzilla fans probably haven't played or possibly even heard of.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

"puppets bad". I hate to tell ya, but Godzilla, from 1954 to 2004, has been nothing but a full body puppet. Ghidorah? A puppet since 1964. The only difference is they're Japanese men inside of these full body puppets pretending to be dinosaurs.

Anyways, Bagan. Welcome back, I guess.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:38 pm Is this the first time we've seen that iconic Bagan model outside of the Toho Studio Tour thing? Always wanted to see it in more detail (though this particular pic isn't great).

[]https://godzilla.store/godziban/images/ ... dvd_07.png[/]
There's also this image, which apparently originated from a magazine? Drove me bonkers for months but could never find where exactly it came from.

More than anything, I'm shocked Toho actually bothered to keep the GMST model! Makes me wonder if they have Dogolas sitting around in their vault somewhere, too.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LamangoKaijura wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:36 pm "puppets bad". I hate to tell ya, but Godzilla, from 1954 to 2004, has been nothing but a full body puppet. Ghidorah? A puppet since 1964. The only difference is they're Japanese men inside of these full body puppets pretending to be dinosaurs.
If they were done full body Muppet style (Big Bird, Sweetums, Snuffy) with an actor inside actually operating the heads and mouths with their hands I'd completely agree with it.

There's a fine line between suit and puppet that the suitmation Toho monsters don't quite cross. There's also a world of difference between anything in those movies and the goofball rubber puppets in Godziban.

Though I'd wager this comment wasn't 100% sincere.