Godziban: Mothra vs Bagan (and others!)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Godziban: Mothra vs Bagan (and others!)

Post by GigaBowserG »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:23 pm I am not spending $70 for that just to get a Keychain
You don't have to, it also comes with the standard edition DVD, which is like $40 cheaper :P
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:46 pm
OGMechaMothra wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:23 pm
I hope they don't leave us here Stateside hanging
They will
the DVD/Blu-ray doesn't have subs or dubs,
It won't. Trust me.
I think this show could be pretty big in the fandom if they released that for us.
Again, they won't. Things like this never get US releases. Toho doesn't release their own DVDs in this country. Someone here would have to license it, and the market for it is way too niche.
I am not spending $70 for that just to get a Keychain
No argument there.
I know all of this.. it is very unfortunate!

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

What I'd like to see is some production art on the Bagan puppet, or some bio info in some form. That kind of stuff is always nice. What I am wondering is why the trailer says "prologue".

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Bagan is essentially the Broly of Godzilla.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:23 am Bagan is essentially the Broly of Godzilla.
.....what?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:23 am Bagan is essentially the Broly of Godzilla.
Broly actually shows up in Dragon Ball related content so not really.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

StardustGenius wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:56 pm What I'd like to see is some production art on the Bagan puppet, or some bio info in some form. That kind of stuff is always nice. What I am wondering is why the trailer says "prologue".
A Godziban book is being released in conjunction with these specials, I have my fingers crossed it'll contain some background info on these exclusive episodes. I'd assume the actual Blu-ray/DVD will have special features, too, and the staff enjoy sharing behind the scenes photos on Twitter as it is.

As for the "prologue" in the title, the Mothra vs. Bagan special apparently takes place immediately after the fight with Desghidorah, but
Spoiler:
before Mothra's death, which saw the introduction of her larva children in the show.
Best I can guess is there'll be a rematch at some point.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

GigaBowserG wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:36 pm
StardustGenius wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:56 pm What I'd like to see is some production art on the Bagan puppet, or some bio info in some form. That kind of stuff is always nice. What I am wondering is why the trailer says "prologue".
A Godziban book is being released in conjunction with these specials, I have my fingers crossed it'll contain some background info on these exclusive episodes. I'd assume the actual Blu-ray/DVD will have special features, too, and the staff enjoy sharing behind the scenes photos on Twitter as it is.

As for the "prologue" in the title, the Mothra vs. Bagan special apparently takes place immediately after the fight with Desghidorah, but
Spoiler:
before Mothra's death, which saw the introduction of her larva children in the show.
Best I can guess is there'll be a rematch at some point.
In Heisei tradition I fully expect his roar to be a reuse of Rodan's in some form. Something I like is how the puppet is clearly based off the model everyone's seen, but it's colors are a bit more muted. I like that. I still would have preferred if they went with the "finalized" design from Mothra vs Bagan. Some real Tim Curry Legend vibes there.

I like the intricacies that go into the Godziban puppets. They're really well made, and the way the giant "normal scale" puppets are shot give me hope this short will at the very least be entertaining.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

New pic of the puppet:

GigaBowserG wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:36 pm
I think they said the book only covers stuff from seasons 1-3, but not 100% sure. If so, there will almost certainly be more books down the line since they're on season 4 now. Either way I'm sure they know there's a lot of interest in Bagan here.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:08 am New pic of the puppet:

[]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FclFXnoakAQj5t2.jpg[/]
The reveal of this image also included a peculiar caption! Something along the lines of:
未来の科学が
超古代の怪獣に
ゴジラ細胞とギドラ細胞を
組み合わせて生み出した怪獣

A monster created by future science by combining Godzilla and Ghidorah cells with a super-ancient monster.
Not sure if this is meant to be Bagan's origin in the show as well, or just a little nudge-wink for fans of the SNES game.
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GigaBowserG wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:05 pm The reveal of this image also included a peculiar caption! Something along the lines of:
未来の科学が
超古代の怪獣に
ゴジラ細胞とギドラ細胞を
組み合わせて生み出した怪獣

A monster created by future science by combining Godzilla and Ghidorah cells with a super-ancient monster.
Not sure if this is meant to be Bagan's origin in the show as well, or just a little nudge-wink for fans of the SNES game.
"with a super ancient monster" makes me think it's also intended to be a nod to various beliefs of "Bakan" and later normal versions Bagan, being some sort of ancient god/diety. It's a nice mix-up to be sure.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

More like Hatchiyack.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

If anyone is the Broly of Godzilla, it's Destoroyah. Big hulking overpowered sadistic violent monsters that only really have one claim to fame, and are both lame AND cool at the same time.

Goldn, the Youtuber joked that they might have meme'd Bagan into reality. I had no idea what they were referring to until I saw that the creator of Godziban liked their "Bagan in Godziban please now" joke from a few years ago. I really would like to see an interview as to how and why Bagan was given an actual live action appearance after all this time. I just find that fascinating.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:10 pm If anyone is the Broly of Godzilla, it's Destoroyah. Big hulking overpowered sadistic violent monsters that only really have one claim to fame, and are both lame AND cool at the same time.

Goldn, the Youtuber joked that they might have meme'd Bagan into reality. I had no idea what they were referring to until I saw that the creator of Godziban liked their "Bagan in Godziban please now" joke from a few years ago. I really would like to see an interview as to how and why Bagan was given an actual live action appearance after all this time. I just find that fascinating.
Destroyah is underpowered considering what he was made from and how Godzilla was kicking his ass.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:10 pm Goldn, the Youtuber joked that they might have meme'd Bagan into reality. I had no idea what they were referring to until I saw that the creator of Godziban liked their "Bagan in Godziban please now" joke from a few years ago. I really would like to see an interview as to how and why Bagan was given an actual live action appearance after all this time. I just find that fascinating.
Nahh I don't think so. The creator of the show was already familiar with the monster, and mentioned on Twitter their primary motivation for adding Bagan was the hope it'd spur others to also use the monster in more media. (They were also completely burned out after creating the massive Biollante prop and swore never to create something of that size again... but couldn't help it when it came to creating Bagan, who is similarly scaled.)
/crawls back under rock

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

A behind the scenes look at the puppet! The tweet also mentions Bagan having absorbed Godzilla and Ghidorah cells.
https://twitter.com/ateliergodziban/sta ... TXxiWON9og

Last edited by kaijukurt on Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

kaijukurt wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:40 am A behind the scenes look at the puppet! The tweet also mentions Bagan having absorbed Godzilla and Ghidorah cells.
https://twitter.com/ateliergodziban/sta ... TXxiWON9og

Jesus, I didn't realize how big he was.

They also released a gallery of new stills here:

https://twitter.com/AtelierGodziban/sta ... 2287139840

Plus the Mothra puppet:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Is Shin coming to help Mothra fight off Bagan?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Shenanigans wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:09 am Plus the Mothra puppet:

So Shin vs Bagan??
Formerly known as kurtzilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Lemme squash this quickly:

Uhhh, assuming those aren't replicas, I can confirm that those puppets existed prior to this projects creation. They (most likely), have zero involvement with this project, so don't get your hopes up.
They're just sharing images of all the larger "puppets". I've seen these in person.

For example, here's Biollane:
https://twitter.com/AtelierGodziban/sta ... 0063681536
Some of the Godziban puppets are about the size you'd expect (hand puppets), while others are just as big as traditional suits. I guess the advantage over puppets is that you don't need to think about a person physically residing in them when you construct them. That being said, maybe minus some subtle details, that just straight up looks like a Bagan suit we'd see in the 90's.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.