Unpopular Ultraman Opinions

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Voyager
Keizer

Unpopular Ultraman Opinions

Post by Voyager »

Why don’t we have a thread like this already?

Tyrant is cooler than Red King ever was.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Ultraman Opinions

Post by LegendZilla »

I think that OG Ultraman always gets nerfed whenever he is together with other Ultras.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:08 pm I think that OG Ultraman always gets nerfed whenever he is together with other Ultras.
"Nerfed"?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

eabaker wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:29 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:08 pm I think that OG Ultraman always gets nerfed whenever he is together with other Ultras.
"Nerfed"?
When he was brought back in that one episode of Mebius, in which Mephilas got brought back, all he literally did was stand there and deflect his opponent’s attacks. In 2009, is Mega Galaxy Monster Battle, he mostly avoided receiving hits. Every time he shows up, he is never given as dynamic action sequences as his Ultra cohorts, while they hog all the glory.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I have one, and I'm worried this will be a major bomb drop:

I'm not a particular fan of Gomora.

Out of all of the original Ultraman monsters and aliens, Gomora is one of the most generic, both in design and execution. He's pretty much a stand-in for Baragon and Godzilla, in a series dominated by modified Baragon and Godzilla suits. Monsters like Red King, Dodongo, Bemular, and even Jirass/Gabora fit the big brutes with beams role better. Other monsters like Antlar+Pestar are remarkable designs. Aliens like Baltan and Dada are iconic. Meanwhile, Gomora is just there, a pretty direct Godzilla clone. I think it's lame that he's dubbed "Prince of the Monsters"- which I think is supposed to be cool (?), but always comes off to me as they didn't want to step on Godzilla's turf.

His two-parter is ALL RIGHT; it's action packed, tense and fun, but it's not as remarkable as some of the episodes with half the run time.

To be clear, I don't hate Gomora, I just think he's massively overrated and overstated within the Ultraman franchise.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Pretty much any returning Ultras get nerfed whenever they come back in someone else's show.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Still not clear on what that means.

Added in 2 minutes 43 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:11 am I have one, and I'm worried this will be a major bomb drop:

I'm not a particular fan of Gomora.

Out of all of the original Ultraman monsters and aliens, Gomora is one of the most generic, both in design and execution. He's pretty much a stand-in for Baragon and Godzilla, in a series dominated by modified Baragon and Godzilla suits. Monsters like Red King, Dodongo, Bemular, and even Jirass/Gabora fit the big brutes with beams role better. Other monsters like Antlar+Pestar are remarkable designs. Aliens like Baltan and Dada are iconic. Meanwhile, Gomora is just there, a pretty direct Godzilla clone. I think it's lame that he's dubbed "Prince of the Monsters"- which I think is supposed to be cool (?), but always comes off to me as they didn't want to step on Godzilla's turf.

His two-parter is ALL RIGHT; it's action packed, tense and fun, but it's not as remarkable as some of the episodes with half the run time.

To be clear, I don't hate Gomora, I just think he's massively overrated and overstated within the Ultraman franchise.
Yeah, I think "The Monster Prince" is a decent story, but not one of the OG Ultraman's best by any means, and in general I find Gomora a pretty generic kaiju, and at this point terribly over-exposed.

My favorite monsters from the original series are easily Jamila and Seabozu.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

When it comes to kaiju designs, I'd take weird over cool any day. Part of this is most definitely due to my adoration for Tohl Narita's art but Showa kaiju are just overall way more interesting and don't tend to blend into each other like most modern ones do.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Going off of LSD's argument, I'd argue that the franchise should rely less on the standard upright, bipedal reptilian-type kaiju like Godzilla.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

eabaker wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:41 am Still not clear on what that means.
‘Nerfed’ usually means that a something (in this case, a character) is weakened to be more fair for the competition. This is common in video games, with weapons, characters and the like. LegendZilla was not using the term right. He was using it to describe how Ultraman is put on the sidelines in later shows.
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:26 am blend into each other like most modern ones do.
Yeah, I’d agree. I’m by no means a massive ultra-nerd, but I can definitely see it via what I meet in the FMs. Lots of kaiju just fit some kind of big-baddie monster design type. Zaigorg, Maga-Orochi, Neosaurus, Silvergon, etc.

King Joe > Zetton.
For Emperor and Empire!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Ultraseven is highly overrated as a series and as a character. I think Ultraman, Return of Ultraman, Ultraman Ace and Ultraman 80 are all much better than Seven. The same goes for Leo, with me ranking it as the overall worst Showa Ultra series. Additionally, I think TPC's Fireman is better than Ultraseven and Leo.

Ultraman Zero is a lame ass Mary Sue character in almost every appearance except his roles in Geed and Z.

Ultraman Gaia is the best of the 90s golden era, with Dyna being the worst.

Ultraman Max's version of Eleking is the best Eleking.

Birdon and Gudon should never have been used as monster of the week canon fodder staring in Ultraman Mebius. In their original series, they ranked among the top tier Ultra kaiju such as Gomora, King Joe and Zetton.

Five King is the best fusion chimera monster in the franchise, better than Tyrant, Jumbo King, Ezmael, etc.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I don't mind recycling of various kaiju and aliens, especially if the "new" character has similar plots, roles, and backstories rehashed. I mean Silvergon is the same as Red King, Gaigi is the same as Gudon, Tiga has a similar kaiju to twin tail, ect...

Dan is somewhat justified at first towards Leo. If you watch the first dialogue between them, Leo admitted he had been living on Earth for a decent amount of time while Seven was on patrol, and only came to fight Magma Alien because he wanted revenge, fully expecting Seven to protect earth himself and never considered introducing himself earlier and offering a helping hand to Seven before that point. So for Dan he is now crippled, unable to transform, likely still suffering from permanent injuries from his past excursions with the other ultras, has a been a war veteran for sometime, could likely die if he uses telepathy, and his best hope for protecting earth is a young inexperienced lazy oblivious narcissistic punk who is a reminder of his situation everytime he looks at his burned-out henshin device out of habit in dire situations that he himself can't stop. It's no wonder Dan hates Gon for a long time.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

darthzilla99 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:50 pm I don't mind recycling of various kaiju and aliens, especially if the "new" character has similar plots, roles, and backstories rehashed. I mean Silvergon is the same as Red King, Gaigi is the same as Gudon, Tiga has a similar kaiju to twin tail, ect...

Dan is somewhat justified at first towards Leo. If you watch the first dialogue between them, Leo admitted he had been living on Earth for a decent amount of time while Seven was on patrol, and only came to fight Magma Alien because he wanted revenge, fully expecting Seven to protect earth himself and never considered introducing himself earlier and offering a helping hand to Seven before that point. So for Dan he is now crippled, unable to transform, likely still suffering from permanent injuries from his past excursions with the other ultras, has a been a war veteran for sometime, could likely die if he uses telepathy, and his best hope for protecting earth is a young inexperienced lazy oblivious narcissistic punk who is a reminder of his situation everytime he looks at his burned-out henshin device out of habit in dire situations that he himself can't stop. It's no wonder Dan hates Gon for a long time.
It would've helped a lot if Gen actually learned from his behavior and both he and Dan developed a mutual respect over time.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ultraman Leo has one of the most convincing and dramatic scenes for tokkatsu tv television, the Mac Base discussion scene.

The characters, miniatures, and monsters blend seamlessly together.

I think I’m that regard Leo might be my favorite out of any Ultraman series, despite how sometimes it could be manipulative.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Ultraman X is bottom tier New Generation era for me. I don’t think Daichi is interesting and Exceed X is the most garbage upgrade form and gimmick weapon.

I’m over the pocket dimension gimmick where we see the actors inside the Ultra as well since it’s been completely overdone the last decade and only there to get additional screen time for toy merch. But that’s probably not an unpopular opinion
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Gomora mainly seems to be popular because he's the closest thing this franchise has to Godzilla, so his similarity is an entry point for most beginner fans. That's fine and I like the monster but I do agree he's overrated.

Of course the biggest entry point is always going to be Jirass. But I'm shocked how often the monster comes up on favorite monster lists. If the monster wasn't a Godzilla suit with a frill no one would talk about him.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:20 am Gomora mainly seems to be popular because he's the closest thing this franchise has to Godzilla, so his similarity is an entry point for most beginner fans. That's fine and I like the monster but I do agree he's overrated.

Of course the biggest entry point is always going to be Jirass. But I'm shocked how often the monster comes up on favorite monster lists. If the monster wasn't a Godzilla suit with a frill no one would talk about him.

In regards to Jirass, being a Godzilla suit is a big part of his popularity, but another factor I think is he was in a very well written episode and his death is very emotional. Jirass is more of a victim than antagonist in the episode. He's kinda of similar to Titanosaurus in that they are both emotional driven stories.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Saturndusk wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:16 am I’m over the pocket dimension gimmick where we see the actors inside the Ultra as well since it’s been completely overdone the last decade and only there to get additional screen time for toy merch. But that’s probably not an unpopular opinion
On a similar tangent, I don’t like how often hosts+Ultramen interact now, or how we see into their thoughts. While sometimes it can provide unique character moments when used effectively, very recently it just feels like forcing dialogue and explanations where they wouldn’t be.

I sort of miss the days where most of the Ultramen were silent, save for battle cries.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:01 am
Saturndusk wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:16 am I’m over the pocket dimension gimmick where we see the actors inside the Ultra as well since it’s been completely overdone the last decade and only there to get additional screen time for toy merch. But that’s probably not an unpopular opinion
On a similar tangent, I don’t like how often hosts+Ultramen interact now, or how we see into their thoughts. While sometimes it can provide unique character moments when used effectively, very recently it just feels like forcing dialogue and explanations where they wouldn’t be.

I sort of miss the days where most of the Ultramen were silent, save for battle cries.
I actually kind of agree with this. I think the only Ultras that really pull this off decently are Zero (namely in Ultraman Geed) and Z. I generally prefer when the "host" and the Ultra are one being and not a fusion of life, with Orb/Gai being my absolute favorite, Geed and Mebius really pull it off well too. Once again, better than Seven/Dan as well. I really like how in Orb, Gai is always in control and Ultraman Orb is more or less a power/transformation given to him by a higher power. Trigger and Decker returning to a fusion without words and lack of human/Ultra direct communication is one of the better things to come out of New Gen lately.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

I was going to show my ignorance and bring up Ultraman Saga being the alpha version of this but then I also remembered this was done with Mebius Phoenix Brave originally.

Also, side rant: I want an explanation of what’s going on with Daichi and X, are they fully united ala Go and Jack? X original voice hasn’t been heard since the Orb movie.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.