Which kaiju had the most gruesome deaths?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Breakdown
Keizer

Which kaiju had the most gruesome deaths?

Post by Breakdown »

Title says it all. For me it's a tie between Godzilla '54, Burning Godzilla and Dagon from the MonsterVerse. The original Godzilla asphyxiated while simultaneously being dissolved alive in an acid bath. Burning Godzilla was literally on fire from the inside out for days, and even the sweet release of death was probably excruciating considering he was still alive as his flesh literally sloughed off his bones. Dagon gets infected by parasitic larva and is then subjected to a slow and agonizing death as the larva sucked the life out of him before he finally dropped dead.

Honorable mentions to the Hyper Gyaos from G3 that gets shot down by Gamera, and survives with a horribly burned body, a dangling eyeball, broken jaw, and part of it's head snapped off.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Which kaiju had the most gruesome deaths?

Post by Legion1979 »

Muruchi in an episode of Ultraman Ace. The super beast Doragory grabs his lower jaw and rips it off, tearing the skin clean off his neck and most of his chest. Then rips an arm off for good measure.

Also Space Gyaos being sliced apart like a sausage

I know those examples aren't Toho, but the Gamera trilogy gets off on the most trivial of technicalities. So whatevs.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

G54 and Burning Godzilla have already been mentioned, so I'll bring up Kamacura in SOG. The giant mantis is hopelessly entangled as Kumonga casually steps up and injects the mantis with a venomous spike. We also have Dagahra. The kaiju's internal organs were blasted, causing pain and, presumably, internal bleeding. Not a pleasant way to go.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Yongary’s death is disturbing. One moment he’s dancing around, the next he’s dying from a topical poison and bleeding from his … ahem … someplace unpleasant. :cry:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Muruchi, and Showa KG. The Space Dragon was beaten to a bloody pulp.
For Emperor and Empire!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

The Female MUTO's death was simple and quick but pretty damn gruesome. Atomic breath down the throat, with Godzilla holding the head was a pretty metal way to go.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Muruchi gets it the worst. While not as bad, Dodongo's death is pretty horrific. Both of his eyes are shot out. It's such a weird thing to happen to an otherwise fantastical looking creature. Ultraman is notorious for a bunch of dark and gruesome deaths.

In regards to the Godzilla franchise, many of the Godzilla monsters are lucky that Godzilla lacks any real way to gore/horribly maim another monster. Ghidorah gets it bad in DAM, but I agree with Ed that Kamacuras's death by Kumonga is pretty horrifying.

Maybe other than that, Rodan in 1956? Roasted alive by a volcano!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Don't forget the majority of Monsterverse deaths.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:37 pm ^Don't forget the majority of Monsterverse deaths.
Yeah, I don't just think it's the Female Muto gets it bad. King Ghidorah had a gruesome death at the hands of Fire Godzilla. He's burned alive, has his heart crushed, and then subsequently eaten. Skull Crawlers have had some horrific deaths, with the main one having it's stomach ripped out by Kong and the big one in GvK being bissected by MG. MG's own death would be prettty brutal if not for the fact that it's a machine. His arms are sliced off and he "bleeds", before Kong snaps his jaw and decapitates him. The Warbats get it pretty bad too.

All the MV deaths are over the top and horribly gruesome.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Baragon getting his neck snapped in Frankenstein Conquers the World always gets me for some reason.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Ghidorah got it pretty back in KOM. Fire Godzilla was literally burning the skin off the space invader, turning two of his heads to ash and then crushing his chest inside with a stomp causing him to burst in a fiery gleam. Its lone surviving head was then dangled by the severed neck and given a point blank atomic blast from the inside out turned to literal dust in the wind.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I love how over the top/ridiculous every kaiju death in the Monsterverse was. Ghidorah's was amazing, watching him literally get atomized was awesome.

Mechagodzilla crucifying the skullcrawler was great too. I forget how brutal those movies are.

They need to keep the trend going. Hell, let's have Gigan be the main villain of one, with his defeat being his buzzsaw getting ripped out of his chest, and his head exploding like Final Wars.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The male Muto was lucky; All he faced was impalement.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:28 pm The male Muto was lucky; All he faced was impalement.
I mean, he got hit by a supersonic tail slap that likely shattered every bone in his body, had an arm severed by Godzilla's dorsal plates, on top of being impaled. His last moments were probably excruciating.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Everyone's mentioning Muruchi for Ultraman rep but I'm gonna have to forego that and instead mention Dorobon in the now-disowned TsuPro-Chaiyo collaboration film, Hanuman vs 7 Ultraman. He gets his skin ripped off while he's still alive and trying to fight back. Sure, it isn't as outwardly bloody as some more well-known Ultraman kaiju deaths but it's still an onscreen flaying. And that's arguably not even the worst thing that happens in this movie. Just ask the human characters.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Minya »

As far as the Toho films go....Hedorah had his innards ripped out, was torn to shreds and dried out to dust....pretty hardcore seeing as how Godzilla lets most of his intergalactic opponents retreat.

Orga getting 'sploded from the inside has to be up there.

Godzilla himself melting down in 1995, skeleton and all has to count for something.
"HOW DO YA LIKE THAT, WEIRDO?!!?"

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

A lot of people seem to be mentioning things that are gruesome only in concept. Yeah, a monster getting blown up from the inside like Orga or what happened to Hedorah are pretty hardcore, but I don't think any of that comes close to the more visceral stuff seen in 70s Ultra shows. If you see something and cringe to your very core I think that's got a far more lasting impact. When I first saw Doragory tear Muruchi apart I almost fell off my seat.

And that's why I don't even think of the MV deaths when I see this thread. CGI doesn't have that visceral impact for me.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:02 am A lot of people seem to be mentioning things that are gruesome only in concept. Yeah, a monster getting blown up from the inside like Orga or what happened to Hedorah are pretty hardcore, but I don't think any of that comes close to the more visceral stuff seen in 70s Ultra shows. If you see something and cringe to your very core I think that's got a far more lasting impact. When I first saw Doragory tear Muruchi apart I almost fell off my seat.

And that's why I don't even think of the MV deaths when I see this thread. CGI doesn't have that visceral impact for me.
Eh, what is considered visceral is a bit more subjective than you think. For example a lot of the 70s Ultraman deaths while brutal especially for the times leap back into comedic tier with execution. When Ultraman rips off Jirass' frill and uses it like a matador cape to taunt Jirass I find it more amusing than I do disturbing, where as say the Skullcrawler being held up and sliced down the middle is a more effective visceral image for me personally. CGI or not.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Eh, possibly. CGI just lacks that tangible quality for me. If you've seen one CGI critter torn apart you've seen them all.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

On the subject of the Ultra brothers, there's Ultraseven's boomerang. Its most violent use was when it was used to slit Bemstar's throat.