Things you want to see in MV5?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Things you want to see in MV5?

Post by JAGzilla »

Legendary Minya wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:23 am Anguirus to be introduced
I feel like this is just barely inside the realm of possibility. There are a lot of Toho kaiju we'll never see in the MV just due to licensing fees, but Anguirus is relatively well known and popular on this side of the Pacific. He's totally plausible for the MV's setting, being just a big dinosaur, more or less. Singular Point presumably spiked his relevance and public awareness of/interest in him in Japan and elsewhere. It's not impossible.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I would love to see Anguirus featured in either the upcoming show or film.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:50 am
Legendary Minya wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:23 am Anguirus to be introduced
I feel like this is just barely inside the realm of possibility. There are a lot of Toho kaiju we'll never see in the MV just due to licensing fees, but Anguirus is relatively well known and popular on this side of the Pacific. He's totally plausible for the MV's setting, being just a big dinosaur, more or less. Singular Point presumably spiked his relevance and public awareness of/interest in him in Japan and elsewhere. It's not impossible.
But how would he play into the story? Maybe this is me, but I feel like Legendary isn't going to spend money licensing toho kaiju just for the sake of fan service cameos. My argument is that a licensed character will have to play a decent role in the film or films and have merchandise promotion to get their monies worth.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

darthzilla99 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:33 am But how would he play into the story? Maybe this is me, but I feel like Legendary isn't going to spend money licensing toho kaiju just for the sake of fan service cameos. My argument is that a licensed character will have to play a decent role in the film or films and have merchandise promotion to get their monies worth.
You're right, but... well, it isn't like it's exactly difficult to find a role for the average kaiju in the average movie. We fans overcomplicate that. If Anguirus and Kamacuras had replaced Mothra and Rodan in KOTM, virtually nothing would have changed. There's no reason Anguirus couldn't have donated his own 'radiation' to Godzilla after death and achieved the same result. Marketing-wise, yeah, I guess that's another story.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LP licensed Godzilla's three biggest costars for KOTM and it underperformed. I don't understand why anyone thinks they're going to be motivated to throw more money at Toho for lesser monsters the general audience either doesn't care about or has never heard or.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:28 am LP licensed Godzilla's three biggest costars for KOTM and it underperformed. I don't understand why anyone thinks they're going to be motivated to throw more money at Toho for lesser monsters the general audience either doesn't care about or has never heard or.
Ghidorah, Mothra and Rodan are Godzilla's biggest co stars to us and Japan. For all we known Kumonga and Manda could get featured in a film and do better than kotm.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:28 am LP licensed Godzilla's three biggest costars for KOTM and it underperformed. I don't understand why anyone thinks they're going to be motivated to throw more money at Toho for lesser monsters the general audience either doesn't care about or has never heard or.
1. Movie critics universally praised the kaiju while panning the plot.
2. The KOTM toho cast still sells merchandise to this day. You still have companies making toys and statues of King Ghidorah, Rodan, and Mothra 3 years after KOTM has been out, compared to the MUTOs who don't have hardly any merchandise even when Godzilla 2014 came out.

I would argue merchandise sales has a bigger influence on licensing characters than movie box office alone. Merchandise was the main reason why the incredible hulk was made. Despite the mixed reception to Ang Lee's Hulk, Hulk toys sold alot and that caused interest to try again.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Minya »

^ That, and, granted, I don't know the ins and outs of licensing - but I've got to assume that Toho would charge less for Anguirus than they would King Ghidorah. Toho doesn't seem to have any interest in supporting their classic characters outside of the usual 3 or 4, might as well let Legendary do so and keep/make fans aware of the classic characters.
"HOW DO YA LIKE THAT, WEIRDO?!!?"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legendary Minya wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:05 am ^ That, and, granted, I don't know the ins and outs of licensing - but I've got to assume that Toho would charge less for Anguirus than they would King Ghidorah. Toho doesn't seem to have any interest in supporting their classic characters outside of the usual 3 or 4, might as well let Legendary do so and keep/make fans aware of the classic characters.
Simon Strange back in the day implied there is a price for Godzilla and then a price for everyone else regardless of which they are.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I want a full-on gay/lesbian character. Not just because I support it, but because of the "woke" rage it's gonna' induce in some of the more entertaining parts of the fandom. Bring Madison back and give her a female lover.

Do it.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Kinda forgot about Rodan being in hibernation. Rodan coming back with a Mothra Larvae would be sweet. Godzillas little gang along with Kong to battle the threat. BUT a lineup like this might be saved for Destroy All Monsters which I believe will be the next film after this and finale
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Cookson wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:30 pm Kinda forgot about Rodan being in hibernation. Rodan coming back with a Mothra Larvae would be sweet. Godzillas little gang along with Kong to battle the threat. BUT a lineup like this might be saved for Destroy All Monsters which I believe will be the next film after this and finale
Now that’s a fun idea. Would love to see that. I’m all for some more Rodan and Mothra.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

No toho monsters besides Godzilla so fans on Twitter are disappointed. No existing American monsters either like "Cthulhu". & more Kong than Godzilla. :kingkong1962:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Megalon! Megalon! Megalon!
For Emperor and Empire!

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Voyager wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:55 pm Megalon! Megalon! Megalon!
We need Megalon. The world needs him.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Resized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

CyberZilla wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:02 pm
Voyager wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:55 pm Megalon! Megalon! Megalon!
We need Megalon. The world needs him.
Jet Jaguar’s hurting people and we don’t know why.
For Emperor and Empire!

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:51 pm I want a full-on gay/lesbian character. Not just because I support it, but because of the "woke" rage it's gonna' induce in some of the more entertaining parts of the fandom. Bring Madison back and give her a female lover.

Do it.
-Make Jia, Madison, and Dr. Andrews the most competent characters
-Bring in Armor Mothra

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:31 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:51 pm I want a full-on gay/lesbian character. Not just because I support it, but because of the "woke" rage it's gonna' induce in some of the more entertaining parts of the fandom. Bring Madison back and give her a female lover.

Do it.
-Bring in Armor Mothra
Well, Madison and Jia already are the most competent characters in the MV, lol. Hell, Emma and Jonah are the most competent human villains in the entire Godzilla franchise.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:33 am
darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:31 pm

Do it.
-Bring in Armor Mothra
Well, Madison and Jia already are the most competent characters in the MV, lol. Hell, Emma and Jonah are the most competent human villains in the entire Godzilla franchise.
You make good points. Also if the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy was made today, you and I both know a good portion of the fandom would yell that Kaiju films are becoming woke, and Ben Shapiro would be making videos on Mothra making Godzilla woke.

In fact, I say the monsterverse should make a ROM spin off movie just for the LOLs.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:55 am
You make good points. Also if the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy was made today, you and I both know a good portion of the fandom would yell that Kaiju films are becoming woke, and Ben Shapiro would be making videos on Mothra making Godzilla woke.

In fact, I say the monsterverse should make a ROM spin off movie just for the LOLs.
I would love to see that. Kaiju romance is a critically unexplored genre of film.

Resized Image