WHO HATES... Showa...!? Whaaaat? (Ignoring '54)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

What is your stance on original series (1955-1975) Godzilla films?

I consider these films flawless masterpieces.
5%
I love these films.
67%
I like these films.
16%
I am neutral on these films.
4%
I dislike these films.
2%
I strongly dislike these films.
1%
I literally hate these films.
2%
I have never seen these films.
2%

Total votes: 93

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

WHO HATES... Showa...!? Whaaaat? (Ignoring '54)

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Strongly inspired by the same Heisei thread. :D

The original series, the Showa era, from 1955-1975. From Godzilla Raids Again to Terror of MechaGodzilla, the original series. I admit I prefer the 70s era over the 60s, and in general, Showa is prolly my third favorite era of the bunch, following MonsterVerse and Heisei. Always felt some of the "golden era" movies were a bit overrated due to the involvements of the holy fathers of Godzilla (looking at you, Monster Zero, Sea Monster and ToMG).

Doubt anyone really HATES the whole of Showa, but I thought this could be a fun lil thread.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Breakdown
Keizer

Re: WHO HATES... Showa...!? Whaaaat? (Ignoring '54)

Post by Breakdown »

I hate the Showa era. The only people who like it are prehistoric boomers.
Last edited by Breakdown on Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Bro who voted they hate them :lol:

You guys know me, I love these films. Especially the Honda ones. ToMG is my favourite film of all time, of course.

Added in 28 seconds:
Breakdown wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:15 pm I hate the Showa era. The only people who like it are prehistoric boomers.
It was you! Damn you! I will curse ye with Godzilla Earths from all Loot Boxes!!!!!!!!!
For Emperor and Empire!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Voyager wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:16 pm Bro who voted they hate them :lol:

You guys know me, I love these films. Especially the Honda ones. ToMG is my favourite film of all time, of course.

Added in 28 seconds:
Breakdown wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:15 pm I hate the Showa era. The only people who like it are prehistoric boomers.
It was you! Damn you! I will curse ye with Godzilla Earths from all Loot Boxes!!!!!!!!!
GvMG > ToMG

:D

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:17 pm

Added in 28 seconds:
GvMG > ToMG

I see through your lies!
For Emperor and Empire!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Voyager wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:18 pm

Added in 28 seconds:

GvMG > ToMG

I see through your lies!
Last time someone said that, they lost all of their limbs and became horrible scarred. :shock:

Quote of the Year:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:19 pm

GvMG > ToMG

I see through your lies!
Last time someone said that, they lost all of their limbs and became horrible scarred. :shock:
But this time I have the high ground :twisted:
For Emperor and Empire!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Voyager wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:21 pm

I see through your lies!
Oh, trust me. No you don't.

Quote of the Year:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:21 pm
Voyager wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:21 pm

Oh, trust me. No you don't.

The image failed to load, therefore I win :mrgreen:
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:14 pm Always felt some of the "golden era" movies were a bit overrated due to the involvements of the holy fathers of Godzilla (looking at you, Monster Zero and Sea Monster).
I don't think Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II is all that great, but I don't think its fans like it for dishonest reasons. I understand that they appreciate in it qualities that I don't respond as favorably to. IMO this line of thinking has always been the most frustrating aspect of trying to have respectful discussions at this site.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:25 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:14 pm Always felt some of the "golden era" movies were a bit overrated due to the involvements of the holy fathers of Godzilla (looking at you, Monster Zero and Sea Monster).
I don't think Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II is all that great, but I don't think its fans like it for dishonest reasons. I understand that they appreciate in it qualities that I don't respond as favorably to. IMO this line of thinking has always been the most frustrating aspect of trying to have respectful discussions at this site.
I don't care for GvMG2 either all that much. Only find it better than GvM and GvSG.

Quote of the Year:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:28 pm
I don't care for GvMG2 either all that much. Only find it better than GvM and GvSG.
To clarify, I used GvMGII as my example because I think it's generally regarded as one of the best Heisei films by those who favor those movies; on the other hand, I don't think much of it. I could have used KotM '19 or GFW or any other film I don't like instead. My point was that I don't dismiss someone's high opinion of the movie for any dishonest reason just because I don't share their opinion. In other words, "fans like those movies because Honda directed them" has always struck me as an unfair and incorrect dismissal and the biggest roadblock to fans here trying to find common ground on polarizing movies.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:42 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:28 pm

To clarify, I used GvMGII as my example because I think it's generally regarded as one of the best Heisei films by those who favor those movies; on the other hand, I don't think much of it. I could have used KotM '19 or GFW or any other film I don't like instead. My point was that I don't dismiss someone's high opinion of the movie for any dishonest reason just because I don't share their opinion. In other words, "fans like those movies because Honda directed them" has always struck me as an unfair and incorrect dismissal and the biggest roadblock to fans here trying to find common ground on polarizing movies.
I haven't. Because I was around when Matango was a rare film (and now, kind of is again). Back when SCORES of fans would run around about how scary and intense it is. How well written and how it's an absolute masterpiece by Honda.

... And then I saw it. And it was one of the most boring movies that I've ever watched from Japan. And every person that would come to its defense from either myself or someone else, the argument would always fall back into... "This was Honda's vision." Well Honda's vision needs glasses and no wonder he was always pressured to put a kaiju in his films by upper management. I'll always find the romance between Nick Adams and Kumi Mizuno in GvMZ to be as cringe as the attempts at romance in GvSG. But of course, GvMZ always gets a pass. Can't imagine why. ;)

Quote of the Year:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Let me pose it this way: if I articulated to you every conceivable reason why I think either of those is a good movie, would you still dismiss my opinion outright because you believe instead that I like the movies because Ishiro Honda directed them? This is what I'm driving at. Apparently it's not enough for you or certain other members to know that I like these movies for the reasons I state -- instead, you'll always hold that I have dishonest reasons for liking these movies. At that point, there's no reason to try to engage with other people, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of a message board.
I'll always find the romance between Nick Adams and Kumi Mizuno in GvMZ to be as cringe as the attempts at romance in GvSG. But of course, GvMZ always gets a pass. Can't imagine why. ;)
This is also my point: it's literally because other people have different opinions than you do. Because you find it "cringe" doesn't mean that it objectively is or even that that should always be someone's subjective response to it. I cringed my way through the entirety of Godzilla King of the Monsters and decidedly didn't enjoy the movie, but I understand why the people who liked it did -- and no, it's not because I thought they were biased.
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:02 pm Let me pose it this way: if I articulated to you every conceivable reason why I think either of those is a good movie, would you still dismiss my opinion outright because you believe instead that I like the movies because Ishiro Honda directed them? This is what I'm driving at. Apparently it's not enough for you or certain other members to know that I like these movies for the reasons I state -- instead, you'll always hold that I have dishonest reasons for liking these movies. At that point, there's no reason to try to engage with other people, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of a message board.
Would I dismiss yours? No. I already know you don't like what you like just because it has the Honda stamp on it. We can get a whole virtual reach around going on here with me saying I usually value and read your posts for insights and thoughts the same way I do a handful of others.

Would I still dismiss almost every casual Joe that praises a movie like Matango and lumps it in with horror movie greats? Yes.

Added in 2 minutes 12 seconds:
Terasawa wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:02 pm This is also my point: it's literally because other people have different opinions than you do. Because you find it "cringe" doesn't mean that it objectively is or even that that should always be someone's subjective response to it.
So we're just debating opinions, which isn't a debate one can win. As I said, my statements aren't directed at you. It's a simple "if the shoe fits, lace that thing up and wear it."

Quote of the Year:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Guarantee the person who voted that they "literally hate" these films was just being a dumbass.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:17 pm Guarantee the person who voted that they "literally hate" these films was just being a dumbass.
He legit posted in the thread lol

Quote of the Year:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:18 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:17 pm Guarantee the person who voted that they "literally hate" these films was just being a dumbass.
He legit posted in the thread lol
And I stand by what I said.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:10 pm Would I still dismiss almost every casual Joe that praises a movie like Matango and lumps it in with horror movie greats? Yes.
But how do you account for how highly many people rank it relative to numerous other Honda films? If their only reason for liking it is some subconscious bias towards the director, wouldn't that same bias apply to less widely beloved entries like Varan or Space Amoeba?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:10 pm Would I dismiss yours? No. I already know you don't like what you like just because it has the Honda stamp on it. We can get a whole virtual reach around going on here with me saying I usually value and read your posts for insights and thoughts the same way I do a handful of others.

Would I still dismiss almost every casual Joe that praises a movie like Matango and lumps it in with horror movie greats? Yes.

Added in 2 minutes 12 seconds:
Terasawa wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:02 pm This is also my point: it's literally because other people have different opinions than you do. Because you find it "cringe" doesn't mean that it objectively is or even that that should always be someone's subjective response to it.
So we're just debating opinions, which isn't a debate one can win. As I said, my statements aren't directed at you. It's a simple "if the shoe fits, lace that thing up and wear it."
Well, not necessarily, it wasn't to get into a pissing contest over opinions (even if it turned out that way, sorry). I guess what it boils down to is that I'm more willing than you to engage with or try to meet halfway someone whose opinion on any given movie is startlingly different than mine; also, as I said, that I think writing off someone's opinion as the result of some unstated bias is something I hate about this place. (But it's not exclusively a Toho Kingdom problem.) And my apologies for dragging this topic so far off course, that shit just drives me crazy though.

I appreciate the kind words, but please give the virtual reach around to literally anybody else.
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.