New HD Godzilla reconstructions

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Toby21
Yojimbo

New HD Godzilla reconstructions

Post by Toby21 »

I've just finished three brand new reconstructions of classic Godzilla English-language versions. All are HD, but use the latest 2021 restorations as the basis. Each film has amazing new detail and clarity throughout. All material has been upgraded to remove as much macro-blocking and halo effects as possible, with a very light color grade to keep the quality uniform throughout. While most of that is fairly straight-forward, there were several parts of each reconstruction that took more time to get right.

Godzilla vs. The Thing

Four different versions of the film were used to create a complete audio-master and sync before any work started. Again, I had already done this back in 2015, but I never trust myself and always start each project over again from scratch.

The titles were the next thing to tackle. The only true full widescreen version of the English titles out there is from a non-anamorphic Simitar DVD. Being non-anamorphic though, the overall quality is pretty poor. The sharpest version is the Monsters HD/Classic Media sources, but those are cropped and not in the proper aspect ratio. In the end, I was able to upscale both sources and by combining get an adequate overall complete restoration of what the titles should look like. They’re still a little soft, but probably the best option until a new source becomes available. The final API title card was upscaled and partially recreated.

The biggest thing to tackle with this reconstruction was the Frontier Missile scene. I examined every available source. As has been noted in the past, many of these are missing frames and/or animated effects, so all clips were conformed to a timeline to make sure each stayed in sync and note where material was missing. This allowed me to also validate quality. It quickly became clear that an Anolis DVD reconstruction from a few years back was not only the most complete, but the sharpest image.

However, the Anolis sequence was VERY dirty, with lots of scratches and dirt burned into the print. Using the same AI upscaling as I have in some of my previous reconstructions, the overall sharpness of the upscaled images was undeniable. The dirt and scratches I tackled with a different AI filter in Resolve. This was able to provide much cleaner images, but the software also caused some new issues, particularly with the explosions. The dirt removal actually totally removed the animated effects also! I wonder if this might be what happened with some of these versions in the past. I had to find some way to use the clean footage, but only for certain parts of each frame. To do this, I used a very basic tool that let me load both the dirty and clean tracks on top of each other. Then, frame by frame I went through the entire sequence and erased the new artefacts created by the cleaning tool. I retouched all 4,096 frames of the sequence one at a time! All of the animated effects were left intact, and explosions returned to their original versions, while leaving the dirt hidden. Even some of the scratching was repaired, but without more professional tools this is the best I could get the material to look for now. There were two short sections that just wouldn’t work with the cleaning tool, so I restored those back to the dirty version fully until there is better software to tackle those.

The other major concern with this entire sequence was the color grade. The print Anolis scanned this material from was affected by color fade. The entire sequence has shifted more to the red/magenta spectrum. While a good color grade can counteract some of this, it does make it harder to get a more consistent result. Each shot was graded separately. The other thing about color grading is a lot of it is down to personal preference. I did take into account input from some friends, and I hope the end result was worth all the hard work. I do think its about the best, and most complete version of this sequence I’ve seen. I also wanted the color grade and quality to blend as seamlessly as possible with the newly restored Japanese material around it. Let me know what you think.

Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster

Again, I stared by comparing two different versions to make sure the audio track was complete first. Not much to note here, only a few frames here and there.

For the most part opening titles were recycled from my 2014 reconstruction, just updated to make sure the scale remained correct and matched to the new restoration. The original End title card was also corrected for the aspect ratio and graded to match the grading of the new restoration.

Monster Zero

AIP and other title cards are recreated or re-used from my original reconstruction. All were scaled to make sure they matched the new restoration.

Starting with the opening shot, there were several captions that were faithfully recreated and scaled to correct aspect/size.

The title card for “The End” was easily recreated, however, creating clean footage to insert this over proved much harder. The 終 (end) kanji was superimposed over moving footage of trucks. This made it difficult for any CGI replacement. But, I didn’t want to switch back to poor quality footage even for this single shot. In the end, I managed to recreate the footage using a mixture of CGI, animation still image and for one tiny bit, an upscaled portion of the Classic Media DVD. Its all fairly seamless and you still get to enjoy the shot from the newly restored footage.

Two burnt in Japanese subtitles were removed using CGI and faithfully recreated English captions for Lake Miojin and Washigasawa used instead. For the black and white “news” footage, I recreated the English headlines and used the widescreen Simitar release for the original size and placement.

Similar, the full widescreen image of Namikawa’s letter to Glenn was lifted from the Simitar DVD. However, the quality was poor, so this was merged with the higher quality (but not fully widescreen) image from the Classic Media DVD. This footage was then upscaled using the AI software – you can now pretty much read the handwriting along with the narration.

And that’s pretty much it. The newly restored footage brings out so many details lost in past transfers. Its almost like watching these movies for the first time. I keep noticing things I’ve never seen before, even though I’ve seen these movies 50+ times.

My Twitter page has a lot more images from these reconstructions, so feel free to go over there and check them out (link in signature). If you’re interested in more details, or links to download any of these reconstructions just PM me here, or contact me on my Twitter page.
#PreserveTheDubs

Godzilla Aikō-sha
My Twitter

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Re: New HD Godzilla reconstructions

Post by canofhumdingers »

Dude that’s awesome. Would love to check these out!

ultrase7en
Samurai

Post by ultrase7en »

Great job! Thanks again.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

This is superlative work, especially given the severe limitations of the available English-language bits.

Toby21
Yojimbo

Post by Toby21 »

Thanks for the comments, glad you enjoyed them!
#PreserveTheDubs

Godzilla Aikō-sha
My Twitter

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

I got to watch your Rodan US dub reconstruction today. Really nice job! As mentioned, given the limitations of the sources available I was very pleased, even on my big projector screen. It was wonderful to be able to show this film to my kids with something better than an old dvd (that’s sourced from an even older laserdisc master)!

I am curious, did the US cut feature some different effects shots than the Japanese version? The only reason I ask is a handful of effects shots looked to be upscaled lower res sources vs coming from an HD (or 4K, is there a 4K Rodan yet?) source. I’m not too familiar with the differences between versions; I’ve only ever watched the film (in any version) maybe 4 or 5 times.

Toby21
Yojimbo

Post by Toby21 »

Yes, there are 20 different SFX shots that are unique to the US version. Well, 18 shots really, as there are two shots of Rodan hiding in a cave that are transposed and have a shot of flames superimposed over them also. The shots (sans flames) do exist in the Japanese edit, but obviously those couldn't be used for those shots in the recon.

And yes, Rodan is on the list of new 4K restorations. No usable copies have appeared online yet.
#PreserveTheDubs

Godzilla Aikō-sha
My Twitter

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Fascinating! Now I need to go rewatch the Japanese cut while the American version is fresh on my mind so I can spot the differences.

Toby21
Yojimbo

Post by Toby21 »

The differences between the Japanese and US versions of Rodan are numerous. I've never seen an exhaustive list, but you might want to check out this article:

https://www.historyvortex.org/tohoamerica2.html

Its not a matter of just stock footage, or even the number of shots moved all around in the US cut. Many of the shots are reversed/flipped and/or zoomed, but there are some clever freeze-frames and in one instance the shot just starts to roll backwards (you literally see the plane in the background stop and start to back up!).
#PreserveTheDubs

Godzilla Aikō-sha
My Twitter

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Ha! I noticed the footage reverse and wondered if that was a glitch. That’s hilarious to know it was done intentionally by the editors!

sam33
Ronin

Post by sam33 »

Toby 21 -
This work sounds awesome! Hope to see it someday.
G vs. T is one of my all-time favorite films, saw it in the theatre American first run in 1964!

Unfortunately a newbie here, so can't do PMs and not on Twitter, but maybe one day I'll be able to see these.
Thanks for the detailed info on all you did.

I did a DVD-res reconstruction of RODAN for myself, it was EXHAUSTING!

Keep up the good work!

SAM33

sam33
Ronin

Post by sam33 »

Hey Toby -
Your work is AMAZING!
I can see tremendous improvements, not just from my humble old DVD sourced reconstructions, but other hi-def ones I have as well!
I tried contacting you this AM, but the message seems stuck in my "outbox" and not sent?

New to here, so not sure what is going on, BUT I just wanted to make sure you knew how much I appreciate your work.
You're a magician -
SAM33

Gojira 72
Ronin

Post by Gojira 72 »

Hi Toby21. :)

The recreated english titles look awsome!
I wanted to DM You on Twitter about the links to Your reconstructions, but I get everytime the "Massage failed to send" error.
Do You have set a block for users from Europe ?

Toby21
Yojimbo

Post by Toby21 »

Gojira 72 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:35 am I wanted to DM You on Twitter about the links to Your reconstructions, but I get everytime the "Massage failed to send" error.
Do You have set a block for users from Europe ?
Thanks for the kind words.

No block that I'm aware of. What is your Twiiter handle and I'll try to contact you. Of course, Twitter isn't known to work very well these days.
#PreserveTheDubs

Godzilla Aikō-sha
My Twitter

Gojira 72
Ronin

Post by Gojira 72 »

Hi, thanks for Your reply.

my handle is Gojira_72

kaijueguy
Young Farmer

Post by kaijueguy »

First off, I want to thank you for the work you are doing in preserving these classic Godzilla films. As a newbie here, I am unable to PM you and I have avoided Twitter but I'm willing to give it a go for a chance to see the work. I've done some of my own reconstructions but I'm certain yours are going to be far superior to the work I've done.

Toby21
Yojimbo

Post by Toby21 »

kaijueguy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:11 am First off, I want to thank you for the work you are doing in preserving these classic Godzilla films. As a newbie here, I am unable to PM you and I have avoided Twitter but I'm willing to give it a go for a chance to see the work. I've done some of my own reconstructions but I'm certain yours are going to be far superior to the work I've done.
What's your Twitter handle and I'll try to message you.
#PreserveTheDubs

Godzilla Aikō-sha
My Twitter

kaijueguy
Young Farmer

Post by kaijueguy »

I've never used twitter. I'll try and set up an account tomorrow. Thanks for the response.

kaijueguy
Young Farmer

Post by kaijueguy »

Toby21 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:55 pm
kaijueguy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:11 am First off, I want to thank you for the work you are doing in preserving these classic Godzilla films. As a newbie here, I am unable to PM you and I have avoided Twitter but I'm willing to give it a go for a chance to see the work. I've done some of my own reconstructions but I'm certain yours are going to be far superior to the work I've done.
What's your Twitter handle and I'll try to message you.
This is all new to me. I'm guessing this is my twitter handle: @jim_rodkey4774
Last edited by kaijueguy on Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.