What college or vocational field you're studying or studied?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Re: What college or vocational field you're studying or studied?

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

My argument against GenEds is that college is continuing education that you pay (a ridiculous amount) for, therefore you should get to choose your classes. I'd be okay with one or two GenEds but having so many that they take up most of your first two years is ridiculous. Whatever basic English/math/science/history skills a person needs should be taught effectively in high school; after this, it should be up to each individual person which subjects, if any, they want to deepen their understanding of. The problem is that American public education is garbage on almost every level, so we have high school graduates who don't know how to conjugate a verb, much less balance an equation.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:26 am My argument against GenEds is that college is continuing education that you pay (a ridiculous amount) for, therefore you should get to choose your classes. I'd be okay with one or two GenEds but having so many that they take up most of your first two years is ridiculous. Whatever basic English/math/science/history skills a person needs should be taught effectively in high school; after this, it should be up to each individual person which subjects, if any, they want to deepen their understanding of. The problem is that American public education is garbage on almost every level, so we have high school graduates who don't know how to conjugate a verb, much less balance an equation.
I think at that point you are fighting against degree accreditation rather than university practices themselves (although it's possible the university you went to had additional criteria). The idea of choosing your own classes sounds great on paper, and perhaps works better for arts programs, but seems like it would get needlessly messy. Now instead of looking at what degree you got and have an understanding that your experience was comparable to that of another potential employee (barring gpa, university clout ect), the employer needs to check through all your courses to see what you've actually studied (amongst other dilemma I could elaborate on if needed). Accreditation standardizes this and is also at least part of the reason why certain amounts of gen eds are required. For example, my home state requires that I take 30 credits or about 10 classes of gen eds to get a BS, ABET accreditation also requires gen eds but allows the university flexibility on how to apply these to the program. There is certainly a valid case to be made that these requirements are overkill and that accreditation bodies should be more specialized and less generalized (I'd imagine this is truer of certain fields than others), but I don't think a complete free for all self-decide schedule is a great idea.

Edit: Completely agree about the poor state of public education.
Edit 2: This does get me thinking, are international colleges significantly different, or do their programs ask for multiple gen eds too? I'm all for looking towards new ways of doing things, but they need to make sense not and not cause more problems. If other countries have a better method of university level education though I'm all ears.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

I have a degree in Zoology. Right now I am interning at a big cat sanctuary. I’ve been here for two years now and am currently a master keeper and coordinator.

You’ve never seen anything till you’ve seen a 350 pound tiger roar 2 feet from in your face and shake the enclosure walls lol (source: my own experience). It’s a lot of work, and I’ve gotten some knee problems from working here, but it’s all fulfilling. My internship ends in May, but I still plan on volunteering as a keeper here afterwards
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

If you’re doing a lot of stuff on your knees, really do invest in some knee pads if you haven’t already got some.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:32 am I have a degree in Zoology. Right now I am interning at a big cat sanctuary. I’ve been here for two years now and am currently a master keeper and coordinator.

You’ve never seen anything till you’ve seen a 350 pound tiger roar 2 feet from in your face and shake the enclosure walls lol (source: my own experience). It’s a lot of work, and I’ve gotten some knee problems from working here, but it’s all fulfilling. My internship ends in May, but I still plan on volunteering as a keeper here afterwards
Sounds awesome. We visited the Steve Irwin Zoo on one of my last trips to Oz and the zookeepers were walking one of the younger cubs on a leash. I remember it attempting to lunge at a bird on the fence before being pulled back, but even at that age it had some crazy strength and speed. Can't imagine working with a fully grown adult one!

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Graduated with a BSc in Geological Sciences; I work exhibits development for a commercial fossil company. Nobody goes into paleo for money (lol), but I get to do my own research project which is pretty cool.
Handsome Shrek wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:32 am I have a degree in Zoology. Right now I am interning at a big cat sanctuary. I’ve been here for two years now and am currently a master keeper and coordinator.

I worked animal husbandry for rodent colonies at a university's vivarium, unfortunately wasn't my thing but animal science is amazing! Taking Vertebrate Zoology in University, I was keen on getting a zoo/aquarium job after graduating. Still hoping to incorporate extant birds (Lophura nycthemera) into my research...

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Noble Saber wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:48 pm Graduated with a BSc in Geological Sciences; I work exhibits development for a commercial fossil company. Nobody goes into paleo for money (lol), but I get to do my own research project which is pretty cool.
You mean to say that you’re not in bed with Big Paleo?

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:32 am
Noble Saber wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:48 pm Graduated with a BSc in Geological Sciences; I work exhibits development for a commercial fossil company. Nobody goes into paleo for money (lol), but I get to do my own research project which is pretty cool.
You mean to say that you’re not in bed with Big Paleo?
The only big paleo I know are my beloved sauropods!

And Saurophaganax. Saurophaganax is pretty big.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I’m graduating this Friday. Feels weird. I’m glad to move on but I also think I should have made some different choices ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Off to the real world now
He Jock it Made of Steel

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

I'm currently in the Orlando area studying Recording Arts at Full Sail University. Graduating in July! Going to be an exciting summer!
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I graduated with my Masters of Science in Ecology and a Geographic Information Science certification. Hopefully, my next step is saving the planet by making maps and using drones and satellites to classify landscapes.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I have a Bachelor's Degree in English, with a Minor in Criminal Justice.

My Master's Degree is in Intelligence Analysis (similar to a Criminal Justice/Criminology Master's degree).
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Got my bachelors in biology
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?