What college or vocational field you're studying or studied?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

What college or vocational field you're studying or studied?

Post by darthzilla99 »

I thought this would be interesting to discuss to get to know each other better and might give us all different perspectives on our kaiju or film opinions. Please keep in mind you do not have to announce what college you're going to or went to for the sake of not revealing too much.

So I will start. I earned a bachelor of science in Ocean and Coastal resources in 2017. It's basically a oceanography version of environmental science and Ecology. I then did a few internships working for the Student Conservation Association, which I got to learn alot about Conservation and Forestry. I then worked for a small startup company for almost 3 years doing warehouse logistics and supply chain and microbiology lab research. I was laid off. I soon found out my college was waiving GRE requirements because of the pandemic. I'm currently pursuing a masters of science in Conservation Biology and Ecology, focusing on Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Remote Sensing, and Wetland Ecology. My career goals is to work in Natural Resources Management/Environmental Consulting/GIS work for either the government or civil engineering companies.

I enjoy the science fiction aspects of Godzilla and I loved the ecolocation science in Godzilla 2014. I will also mention that given my time working with the Student Conservation Association, Emma is not an unrealistic champion. There are many Environmental activists who would destroy humanity in order to save the planet. Luckily they lack the means. By the same token, there's lots of good sensible people in Conservation.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What college or vocational field you're studying or studied?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I have a BA in English with a concentration in Creative Writing 8-)

Concurrently when I was in college, I did a TESOL Ceritification through the same college. That’s basically a 120 hour course designed to allow you to teach English as a Second/Foreign Language.

Now recently I completed a Master’s Degree in English Studies, which involves the history of English as a language, some linguistics, and literature.

Basically, I’m massively overqualified for my current job and can easily find work where I’m at, but it’ll never pay super well. I want to do something in the future, be it another MA or a P.h.D to diversify my skill set and employment options. I’ve had friends who have Philosophy and Art degrees who have made successful swerves into other fields like banking and sales, so it’s an option. I’ve been pretty lucky without having to go into any debt, so im always fearful I’ll slide backwards.

To be honest, I’m a bit envious of you Darthzilla; I’ve always liked the ocean, boats, and marine biology so I sort of regret not slanting my life in that direction. If I went into sciences, that’s what I’d do it in. I’m glad that you’re back on track though.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I did a couple years at a mortuary school. Had to eventually drop out, sadly. But it was a fascinating couple of years.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:49 am I have a BA in English with a concentration in Creative Writing 8-)

Concurrently when I was in college, I did a TESOL Ceritification through the same college. That’s basically a 120 hour course designed to allow you to teach English as a Second/Foreign Language.

Now recently I completed a Master’s Degree in English Studies, which involves the history of English as a language, some linguistics, and literature.

Basically, I’m massively overqualified for my current job and can easily find work where I’m at, but it’ll never pay super well. I want to do something in the future, be it another MA or a P.h.D to diversify my skill set and employment options. I’ve had friends who have Philosophy and Art degrees who have made successful swerves into other fields like banking and sales, so it’s an option. I’ve been pretty lucky without having to go into any debt, so im always fearful I’ll slide backwards.

To be honest, I’m a bit envious of you Darthzilla; I’ve always liked the ocean, boats, and marine biology so I sort of regret not slanting my life in that direction. If I went into sciences, that’s what I’d do it in. I’m glad that you’re back on track though.
Thanks for the kind words. I think you would do great in a PHD program. And you can still check out oceanography classes for fun on the side. Also, you tube is a great resource to watch lecture videos. I know my grammar on the forums doesn't always reflect my educational level since I make mistakes on my phone.

One regret I have in life as a Godzilla fan is that I won't be able to meet Banno. I would have loved hearing his thoughts on GIS mapping (the layman's explanation is that GIS is making maps though you can do alot more) and remote sensing (basically analysis of aerial photography and imagery, usually from Drones and Satellites) since he was a marine biologist.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I majored in business, although there were a lot of other things I would have probably preferred doing had money been no object. But in my case it has been okay. I ended up in procurement and supply management, and have a much more focused career path than I did when I first graduated. It allows a lot of potential opportunities but it can be a slow climb.

As far as relating to Godzilla goes, it definitely helps fund the hobby. But I suppose it also brings talking points to the table regarding product discussion such as new Bandai figures and the like. There are a lot of factors that go into that sort of thing that I would have otherwise never considered.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I'm currently studying (almost done one more year) material science. My plan is to go into metallurgy, and ideally work for a steel plant. When I learned that Godzilla Singular Point was dealing with a high concept new material I was pretty excited, however, the show went much further into theoretical physics than material science, so my understanding wasn't as useful as I'd hoped it'd be.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I haven’t started, but I’m planning to do a History course. It’s always been one of the loves of my life.
For Emperor and Empire!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I have a BA in Screenwriting. I was extremely close to a Minor in Creative Writing but I was very ready to be done with college at that point.

I've never been able to properly use my degree and I swear I'm cursed; the last three short film scripts I've had picked up have fallen through at some point during production due to increasingly strange reasons. But after a couple years of off-and-on freelance work as a copywriter, I'm finally doing it full-time in a salaried position. It may not be the kind of writing I truly love but I'm still grateful to be able to put my one true skill to use on a daily basis.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I am currently in law school. I have degrees in psychology and philosophy. I studied neuroscience and behaviorism in undergrad.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I have degree in history and a minor in Media Studies.

As neither of my parents completed college through reasons that were no fault of their own, and many of their friends are blue-collar workers... I really did not have a lot of strong advice to work off in selecting a college, and while my high school was eager to encourage us to apply to college without worrying about cost, the resources for choosing colleges were harder to access than was promoted and I felt pretty lost on the process. I ended up picking a local liberal arts college and while I probably saved a ton of money and had some valuable experiences there, I don't think my degree is useful in my situation. It's certainly not relevant to my field of work.

My specific studies were mostly political and US history, but some history of the Middle East as well.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Wow, you guys are making me think about going to real college. I've mentioned before here that I finished a yearlong film school program designed to get people into the industry, so it's kinda like trade school in a sense, teaching you nuts and bolts stuff.
To be honest I miss the structure of academia, and am considering trying to go for some more traditional classes once finances are better, possiblity something in sociology.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:20 am Wow, you guys are making me think about going to real college. I've mentioned before here that I finished a yearlong film school program designed to get people into the industry, so it's kinda like trade school in a sense, teaching you nuts and bolts stuff.
Did it help get you work in the industry? Genuinely curious because most of my college friends were directors/writers/actors etc, and only one has found meaningful industry work. Another one gets regular PA work that he describes as well-paying but extremely unfulfilling, and the rest have had bit parts in movies at best.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:20 am Wow, you guys are making me think about going to real college. I've mentioned before here that I finished a yearlong film school program designed to get people into the industry, so it's kinda like trade school in a sense, teaching you nuts and bolts stuff.
To be honest I miss the structure of academia, and am considering trying to go for some more traditional classes once finances are better, possiblity something in sociology.
I'm the exact opposite of you. I have five months less and I could care less about anything school-related. I am so sick of reading and listening to lectures all day. Especially regarding topics I really don't care about and are highly unlikely to affect my career in any way.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:55 am Did it help get you work in the industry? Genuinely curious because most of my college friends were directors/writers/actors etc, and only one has found meaningful industry work. Another one gets regular PA work that he describes as well-paying but extremely unfulfilling, and the rest have had bit parts in movies at best.
Kind of a loaded question tbh. Some of my classmates have got fulfilling work right out of school, I have not. I'm kinda salty about it. But I have got work through networking with friends. The problem is the industry is dead in Michigan right now, doesn't warm up for another few months (we do have a pretty good industry here, a lot of commercial work but some TV and features too, with a new incentive doing the rounds that will *hopefully* go through soon and get things really kicking again)
PA work is fine short term, definitely better money than I'm making right now, and a good opportunity to network. "Hey, you're busting your ass today!" "Thanks, this is cool but what I really want to do is lighting!" "Oh really? I know somebody shooting something next month that needs lighting crew." It really does go down like that too.
Whatever your friend wants to actually do in the industry, I'd recommend they start taking advantage of any relationships they've built and start selling themselves. I always say that I wish I knew how much of film was just being able to gab with people. Woulda saved me sixteen grand.
shadowgigan wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:10 pm I'm the exact opposite of you. I have five months less and I could care less about anything school-related. I am so sick of reading and listening to lectures all day. Especially regarding topics I really don't care about and are highly unlikely to affect my career in any way.
Yeah that's why I went with the program I did in lieu of community college. Now that I'm done though I do miss the challenge and being forced to focus on something. You might be surprised how much you miss certain aspects once it's over! (But probably not lol)
Only 5 months left huh? Almost at the finish line?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Man, I do not miss any of the "busywork" classes I had to take in order to earn my degree. I remember having a few semesters that consisted almost entirely of unrelated Gen Ed's, some of which were more difficult and time-consuming than the actual classes I had to take for my field of study. That being said, I don't regret getting my degree at all; it definitely helped me where I needed it. But I'd only go back for my Masters if my job paid for it (some organizations will) or if it is international (Australia).

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

My MA was fun because it was all explicitly related to topics I was interested in. I learned a lot and it helped me organize my thoughts better. I have zero complaints.

In terms of college however, there was zero reason I needed to take any math or science classes. Granted, I enjoyed some of the science classes I took, but math turned out to be the most useless subject for me personally. I'm not dismissing anyone interested in math or whatever I'm not into, and I don't think my own interests are directly vital to everyone. I get colleges want everyone to have a good foundation in varying topics and concentrations, but it sucked the life out of my college experience. Looking back on it now, lots of uneeded stress was caused by classes like that. I still think there should be forced electives. Some of the best classes I took in college were related to that.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Graduated with an MA in education almost 20 years ago. Damn, a lot has happened since then!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Seems most of the college grads on here share my contempt for GenEds. I really don't see why a screenwriting major needs to know how to do advanced algebra or name all the elements on the periodic table. In general, I think American education at all levels places too much focus on STEM. Not everyone wants to be a goddamn engineer or a computer scientist. Thankfully, my liberal arts college recognized that most of the student body felt that way, so they only required one science class and one math class. Still, the science class was the only C- that I ever got. I didn't care for the subject matter and I was much more focused on my writing classes that I actually wanted to take that semester, so I didn't waste my time trying to do any better than passing.

If my time hadn't been wasted with GenEds, I could've easily gotten my Creative Writing Minor and I wouldn't have been so sick of college by the end of it. Maybe I'd even go back and get another degree.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I’m conflicted. On one hand I sympathize with gen Ed’s sucking and extending college. On the other hand in an age full of misinformation and scientific illiteracy, I can’t help but think removing such a requirement might be detrimental. To what degree idk, and surely there are better ways than the current state (a more robust primary and secondary education no doubt), perhaps restructuring how certain classes are taught to those not going into stem fields. But the idea of simply removing the requirement rubs me the wrong way.
He Jock it Made of Steel

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I wasn't necessarily even talking about geneds when I made that comment, but I was pretty upset about those in undergrad. At the same time, I suppose I am glad I learned math and became a well rounded student. It's just after seven years, I can't really take sitting in a classroom anymore. Period.