Who Hates Heisei?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

What is your stance on the post-'91 Heisei Godzilla films?

I consider these films flawless masterpieces.
9%
I love these films.
28%
I like these films.
37%
I am neutral on these films.
14%
I dislike these films.
4%
I strongly dislike these films.
1%
I literally hate these films.
8%
I have never seen these films.
No votes

Total votes: 104

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Who Hates Heisei?

Post by Gigantis »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:54 am The other threads aren't mine, so I can't say what they were intended to do.
I mean, MM apparently made that "Who Hate Showa" thread while he was baked, so..

For my personal two sense, I like Heisei, but they're definitely no masterpieces. I think the kaiju they introduced in this era can be AWESOME.. when they're done in any style that isn't suitmation. Which is really my biggest problem: the suits in this era are too bulky, so every time the monsters get in a fight, it just turns into a beam contest, which really doesn't do Destoroyah and SpaceGodzilla's wide range of abilities much in the way of justice.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:31 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:54 am The other threads aren't mine, so I can't say what they were intended to do.
I mean, MM apparently made that "Who Hate Showa" thread while he was baked, so..
It did its job though. Gave me some laughs.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

For my personal two sense, I like Heisei, but they're definitely no masterpieces. I think the kaiju they introduced in this era can be AWESOME.. when they're done in any style that isn't suitmation. Which is really my biggest problem: the suits in this era are too bulky, so every time the monsters get in a fight, it just turns into a beam contest, which really doesn't do Destoroyah and SpaceGodzilla's wide range of abilities much in the way of justice.
MM does many things when he's baked.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Breakdown wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:55 am

Question: "baked" is the same thing as "stoned", right? (please pardon my ignorance)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:04 pm

Question: "baked" is the same thing as "stoned", right? (please pardon my ignorance)
Yes, "baked" is a synonym for "stoned."

Now, let's have no further discussion of MM's mental state when he created the thread.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

eabaker wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:18 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:04 pm

Yes, "baked" is a synonym for "stoned."

Now, let's have no further discussion of MM's mental state when he created the thread.
Okay, I should've expected something like that, anyway. That's it, I'm done.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Only one of these films I’m even close to hating is SpaceGodzilla :shrug:
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I give Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla a lot of shit, but even I don't hate them. There's some stuff I enjoy in both movies.

Rebirth of Mothra 2 on the other hand...
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Spuro wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:44 pm Rebirth of Mothra 2 on the other hand...
It's the bottom of Toho's barrel and not the kind of movie you can watch over and over again, but I'd say it has its brand of cheap, shoddy charm. If nothing else, it's just cool to see a kaiju film set in the tropical Ryukyu Islands. We don't get many of those.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

On the plus side, ROM2 did give us Dagahra and a good musical score. Just like the Godzilla movies, I don't hate these either, though I don't watch them that often either.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Voyager wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:39 pm Only one of these films I’m even close to hating is SpaceGodzilla :shrug:
Close to? :shingodzillapurple:
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Omegamorph wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:46 am
Voyager wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:39 pm Only one of these films I’m even close to hating is SpaceGodzilla :shrug:
Close to? :shingodzillapurple:
I heavily dislike it, but I wouldn't say I hate it like TLJ.
For Emperor and Empire!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

But it's ALWAYS fun.
edgaguirus wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:36 pm On the plus side, ROM2 did give us Dagahra and a good musical score. Just like the Godzilla movies, I don't hate these either, though I don't watch them that often either.
Is it just me, or does Daggy's theme sound a bit like JAWS theme at times.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Voyager wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:49 am I heavily dislike it, but I wouldn't say I hate it like TLJ.
Well that I can't disagree with :P
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

^Mac Daddy, I never noticed, but it does have a Jaws vibe at times.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I'd say that nitpicking the Heisei era has become something fetishized by this fandom.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:49 am I'd say that nitpicking the Heisei era has become something fetishized by this fandom.
The actual fuck?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:57 am
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:49 am I'd say that nitpicking the Heisei era has become something fetishized by this fandom.
The actual skreeonk?
Not in a literal sense, but rather oversaturated within the community.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:00 am
JAGzilla wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:57 am
The actual skreeonk?
Not in a literal sense, but rather oversaturated within the community.
You've been told this before, but I'll say it again: no one nitpicks these movies just to nitpick them. We see things that we sincerely find lacking, and we call them out. It's not done out of spite, but the opposite: we're a bunch of die-hard fans that want these movies to be the best they can be. We complain because we care.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

You have a really bad habit of just popping up in threads and saying the most random things.