Weapons Talkback : MBAW-93

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
LegendZilla
Sazer

Weapons Talkback : MBAW-93

Post by LegendZilla »

As someone who's always liked maser canons, I just thought you'd be cool if I dedicated a whole thread to a particular model. The model in question is the Heisei era's twin-barreled MBAW-93.

I personally consider this my favorite type of Maser-based weaponry in Toho's catalogue. At first, the appeal stemmed from the fact that the Heisei era (regardless of how much people like harping over it) featured an interesting variety of vehicles that harnessed maser tech. Lately as I've been putting more thought into it, the MBAW-93 looks a lot more practical than its brethren as it blends in a lot more with real-life modern artillery, i.e tanks and missile launchers. I also personally believe a twin-barreled particle canon would be more efficient, because and provide a more stable energy-output than a standard single-barreled one.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this particular weapon? Do you like it? If Toho brought maser canons back, I think they should design them off the MBAW-93 more often.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Weapons Talkback : MBAW-93

Post by edgaguirus »

This model is more effective as it has two beams instead of one.

This model also has a mech feel to me. With a few changes you could easily turn it into a more robot design.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:59 pm This model is more effective as it has two beams instead of one.

This model also has a mech feel to me. With a few changes you could easily turn it into a more robot design.
It would also be a pretty rad aircraft if you modified it to fly.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'm a fan of the MBAW-93. I think the classic maser cannons kick ass, of course. But the MBAW-93 has its own swagger. I always love seeing these guys come out to get blown up.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

A weapon like this seems best fit for taking down airborne targets. When you come to think it, the standard single-barrel Maser canon is like a tank, whereas this thing is like a missile launcher.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:38 pm A weapon like this seems best fit for taking down airborne targets. When you come to think it, the standard single-barrel Maser canon is like a tank, whereas this thing is like a missile launcher.
Combine this with Legendzilla's idea to modify it to fly, and you have the perfect weapon for Rodan, Battra, or any other aerial kaiju.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

I like the concept, an evolution of masers with two cannons.

That said, I didn't like the final design. Always felt like the two maser cannons on it were too small, making it feel less impressive than the MBT-92 that came before it even though it's supposed to be an upgrade. In the end, I felt like the Maser Attack Aircraft executed the whole double maser thing better in terms of design.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Arbok wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:25 pm I like the concept, an evolution of masers with two cannons.

That said, I didn't like the final design. Always felt like the two maser cannons on it were too small, making it feel less impressive than the MBT-92 that came before it even though it's supposed to be an upgrade. In the end, I felt like the Maser Attack Aircraft executed the whole double maser thing better in terms of design.
I for one feel that the smaller canons seem more practical.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I've always thought Koichi Kawakita's strengths were in optical printing, and of course mechas. I like these guys alot. They seem like a sci-fi'ed up version of the Gepard Anti-Aircraft system developed in Germany.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

They look very similar