What major film studio do you think would own Gamera?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.

What major film company do you think would own Gamera?

Universal
8%
Paramount
No votes
Warner Bros.
24%
Walt Disney
44%
Sony
No votes
MGM
No votes
Lionsgate
No votes
Other
24%

Total votes: 25

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

What major film studio do you think would own Gamera?

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Which major film company do you think would, could, or should own the rights to the Gamera series/franchise, as well as the rights to reboot into a western film series,? like with Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures and the Godzilla and Kong series. And why do you think this option is the best in your opinion?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: What major film studio do you think would own Gamera?

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

God forbid never and I repeat NEVER let Disney get their grubby hands on Gamera.

That goes for Sony too, unless its in the animation department that of Into the Spider-Verse and The Mitchells vs. The Machines.

That said I'd lean and prefer Warner Bros. or Universal.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I don't think the question should really be what film studio should do it. After all, all studios do is distribute and occasionally turn a director's vision into an unrecognizable (and always worse) final product.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:51 am God forbid never and I repeat NEVER let Disney get their grubby hands on Gamera.

That goes for Sony too, unless its in the animation department that of Into the Spider-Verse and The Mitchells vs. The Machines.

That said I'd lean and prefer Warner Bros. or Universal.
Agreed on all points.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

As unlikely it'd be to probably happen. I'd kill for a Laika Studios Gamera film.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Kadokawa.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

None of them because Gamera isn't even remotely a property big enough to be brought over for any western studio to make money over. :P

Though if he ever DOES reach that point (hopefully, one day!) I don't really think it matters all that much. It's more about who's directing and writing the movies than the studios who's making it. I'd like to see Paramount tackle a kaiju franchise though. They haven't made a big time monster movie since their remake of King Kong!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:17 pm I'd like to see Paramount tackle a kaiju franchise though. They haven't made a big time monster movie since their remake of King Kong!
Cloverfield?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:19 pm
Gigantis wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:17 pm I'd like to see Paramount tackle a kaiju franchise though. They haven't made a big time monster movie since their remake of King Kong!
Cloverfield?
.... :oops:

I somehow forgot Cloverfield existed for a moment.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

A24 produced bone tingling folk-family horror Gamera movie starring the kid from Iron Man 3, Mel Gibson and Gary Busey (as his two dads) and Sigourney Weaver as Zigra.
Jason Sudekis will mocap Gamera.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:28 pm A24 produced bone tingling folk-family horror Gamera movie starring the kid from Iron Man 3, Mel Gibson and Gary Busy (as his two dads) and Sigourney Weaver as Zigra.
Jason Sudekis will mocap Gamera.
God damn. I want this.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Trick question. The best studio isn't a western one, it's another Japanese studio. Studio Ghibli is the right studio to make Gamera big news with a stellar movie. Could be the next Spirited Away.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Vakanai wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:36 am Trick question. The best studio isn't a western one, it's another Japanese studio. Studio Ghibli is the right studio to make Gamera big news with a stellar movie. Could be the next Spirited Away.
Genndy Tartakovsky's Gamera, Laika Studios Gamera, Sony Animation's Gamera (With the writers of Into the Spider-Verse and The Mitchells vs. The Machines) or this.

I'm down for any of those!
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Universal gets my vote.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Good Lord, how anyone would want Disney to own Gamera, or ANYTHING is beyond me.

Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel....all have been rang into the ground and wrung completely dry by Disney. 1 Star Wars film a year until you can't stand them any more, 2-3 Star Wars shows a year until you can't stand them any more. 3 Marvel films a year and 2-3 Disney+ shows a year until you can't stand them any more.

All 3 have been made completely unrecognizable under Disney. It's all just mascot-ification.

Universal or Warner Bros would probably be the best choices to do an American Adaptation of Gamera.

Someone above mentioned Genndy Tartakovsky and Laika Studios and both of those would be brilliant.

You know what would be wild? Toho...even if it was just to be petty and do a Godzilla vs Gamera film where they mandated that Godzilla absolutely decimate Gamera. Seems like something they might do.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Or...OR...how about we just let Gamera stay where it is and stop this ridiculous thought exercise?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:50 pm Or...OR...how about we just let Gamera stay where it is and stop this ridiculous thought exercise?
I'd be okay with that if the studio actually used him. It's been what 17 years since his last movie? People have been born, gone through puberty, learned to drive, and are pondering what college to go to in that time.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Is this thread really necessary, don't we have like three other speculative gamera threads?
He Jock it Made of Steel

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Have these shit studios kill Gamera like they did every other franchise they touch? Yeah, right.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

What is with this asinine insistance that Disney (clearly that's what studio Voyager is talking about) is killing everything it touches?

I guess a point could be made about Star Wars, but modern Star Wars has always kind of sucked. Meanwhile the Marvel films still make assloads of money, and these films have turned obscure (to the mainstream) characters into household names. Doesn't seem like a franchise they've "killed".

So what else? Pixar? "Lightyear" didn't do well, can't deny that. But "Turning Red", "Luca" and "Soul" were all extremely well received when they hit streaming and would have done just fine financially if they had been released theatrically. The last two Pixar films before those - "Toy Story 4" and "Incredibles 2" made over $1 billion each at the box office. So can we stop being stupid about this?

I dont want any American studio handling Gamera. Not because the studios suck, but because it doesn't NEED to happen. Especially because I don't think an Americanized take on Gamera would reply be true to the character.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.