What major film studio do you think would own Gamera?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.

What major film company do you think would own Gamera?

Universal
8%
Paramount
No votes
Warner Bros.
24%
Walt Disney
44%
Sony
No votes
MGM
No votes
Lionsgate
No votes
Other
24%

Total votes: 25

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: What major film studio do you think would own Gamera?

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:56 pmif such an event of one attacking happened, no one would sure be laughing.
Are you saying that if you turned on the news and there was a report of a fight between a robot, giant dinosaur, cyborg space chicken and giant beetle fighting... And the news suddenly shows this with a big name reporter:

You wouldn't laugh?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:44 amAre you saying that if you turned on the news and there was a report of a fight between a robot, giant dinosaur, cyborg space chicken and giant beetle fighting... And the news suddenly shows this with a big name reporter:

You wouldn't laugh?
Find yourself in the middle of a giant monster attack in a city like depicted in Cloverfield or Godzilla (1954) and then see who gets the last laugh.

And realistically what you shown wouldn't really happen. Yes square cube law makes giant monsters/kaijus unrealistic as well but its helluva more realistic then seeing dinosaurs sliding onto their tails with flying kicks and it doesn't matter what a giant monster/kaiju might look like. Once again if caught in the middle of an attack in the city. No one would be laughing during the events of G54 and Cloverfield especially if they saw it on the news.

And yet we don't laugh about the idea of a gun-trotting talking raccoon and his humanoid tree buddy.

Or better yet when people are attacked and killed by dangerous animals.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:44 am
ShinGojira14 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:56 pmif such an event of one attacking happened, no one would sure be laughing.
Are you saying that if you turned on the news and there was a report of a fight between a robot, giant dinosaur, cyborg space chicken and giant beetle fighting... And the news suddenly shows this with a big name reporter:

You wouldn't laugh?
Why am I the one being quoted? I didn’t even write this.

Added in 47 seconds:
And no, I wouldn’t laugh.

I’d call my loved ones to ask if they were alright.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:26 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:44 amAre you saying that if you turned on the news and there was a report of a fight between a robot, giant dinosaur, cyborg space chicken and giant beetle fighting... And the news suddenly shows this with a big name reporter:

You wouldn't laugh?
Find yourself in the middle of a giant monster attack in a city like depicted in Cloverfield or Godzilla (1954) and then see who gets the last laugh.
I mean... I've laughed at legit war footage more times than I can count, let alone wildlife footage.
And realistically what you shown wouldn't really happen. Yes square cube law makes giant monsters/kaijus unrealistic as well but its helluva more realistic then seeing dinosaurs sliding onto their tails with flying kicks and it doesn't matter what a giant monster/kaiju might look like.
That's just cherry picking in this. You also wouldn't laugh at the news/footage of Gypsy Danger double tapping Leatherback? Hell, I'd prolly laugh my ass off watching Godzilla slowly stumble mindlessly into a volcano after waltzing through Tokyo in '84.

Also, the parasites in Cloverfield are impossible not to laugh at when they make those sounds.
And yet we don't laugh about the idea of a gun-trotting talking raccoon and his humanoid tree buddy.
I mean, I do.
Or better yet when people are attacked and killed by dangerous animals.
Depending on the circumstances, I usually laugh my ass off for a good minute seeing a person get what they deserve when pissing off an animal.

You're talking to a dude with a twisted sense of humor and supports stuff like the Darwin Awards.

Added in 20 minutes 13 seconds:
ShinGojira14 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:15 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:44 am

You wouldn't laugh?
Why am I the one being quoted? I didn’t even write this.
Messed up the quotes this morning. Sorry about that.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:00 pm Also, the parasites in Cloverfield are impossible not to laugh at when they make those sounds.
Wanna see how you'd react if said parasites were coming at you. See who'll be laughing then... :roll:

I know anyone would be scared for their lives.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:09 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:00 pm Also, the parasites in Cloverfield are impossible not to laugh at when they make those sounds.
Wanna see how you'd react if said parasites were coming at you. See who'll be laughing then... :roll:

I know anyone would be scared for their lives.
Obviously I'd be running for my life. Because they're not chasing me. Put one of them on the news, and I'll laugh no matter who they're chasing.

Quote of the Year:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Let's be really here for a second....

If giant monsters were real and killing thousands, if not millions of people, decimating entire cities and throwing the global economy into a panic and I don't think anyone, anywhere, would find anything they did funny in the slightest.

It's easy to joke and say you'd laugh, but if all this shit was real, it would be way too horrifying and devastating to be even the least bit funny. Godzilla tail sliding into Megalon is funny on film, but in real life it would be impossible to forget that Megalon (a monster unleashed by a venegeful, warmongering subterranian race most have never heard of, which itself would be scary as hell if it was real) just hours earlier, completely destroyed Tokyo and wiped out the entire Japanese army. I dont think anyone would laugh at that. We'd all be too busy coming to terms with the horror of what had just happened.

Again, let's try to look at this realistically.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:47 pm Let's be really here for a second....

If giant monsters were real and killing thousands, if not millions of people, decimating entire cities and throwing the global economy into a panic and I don't think anyone, anywhere, would find anything they did funny in the slightest.

It's easy to joke and say you'd laugh, but if all this poop was real, it would be way too horrifying and devastating to be even the least bit funny. Godzilla tail sliding into Megalon is funny on film, but in real life it would be impossible to forget that Megalon (a monster unleashed by a venegeful, warmongering subterranian race most have never heard of, which itself would be scary as hell if it was real) just hours earlier, completely destroyed Tokyo and wiped out the entire Japanese army. I dont think anyone would laugh at that. We'd all be too busy coming to terms with the horror of what had just happened.

Again, let's try to look at this realistically.
I don't know, man. It didn't take long for 9/11 jokes to start taking off and there was a good many I found funny even at that age. In poor taste, yes, but funny none the less. The amount of people not able to make light of a situation like that may be few and far between, but with the advent of the internet and the world of memes... I have no doubt I wouldn't be alone in laughing at the sight of a giant dinosaur tail slide kicking a drill-handed bug even after it killed millions in an unprovoked attack on humanity. Reading stuff like Darwin Awards and rapists/murders getting what they deserve in asinine scenarios has always put a smile on my face or made me laugh, so I have no doubt seeing that happen to Megalon "in-universe" would do the same.

Humor is a coping mechanism, after all. Going to really depend on what a person is able to take and how dark their sense of humor can get.

Now DON'T take this as some sort of deep meaning that I find every traumatic event funny. I just find certain aspects of events funny. Just like the Trump administration was absolutely horrifying in hindsight and current revelations, but damn if some of it wasn't astonishingly nuts that it was hilarious while happening.

Or maybe I am just that fucked up.

Quote of the Year:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:00 pm Humor is a coping mechanism, after all. Going to really depend on what a person is able to take and how dark their sense of humor can get.
Oh yes let us humor during a time where a girl cries out for her dead mother or a woman telling her children that they'll join their father soon before Godzilla kills them.

Obviously referring to Gojira (1954).

But apparently good luck convincing people the concept of kaiju/giant monsters in real life would be dumb because lol fire-breathing rubber lizard. Would you really even expect people to be humoring even during an apocalypse or post-apocalypse? The Road (2009) is a perfect depiction how life would notably be in such a world. Barely if not any humor at all.

The rest of life struggling to survive, resort to eating your own dogs and people supposedly desperate for humor as if that's the only thing keeping faith alive.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:01 am, edited 7 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I agree with MM here. We saw it during Covid, we saw it when the Ukrainian invasion started, or as MM pointed out during 9/11.
Like, sure, people aren't sitting there getting shot and laughing. Nor do I think anyone is suggesting that "Oh yes let us humor during a time where a girl cries out for her dead mother or a woman telling her children that they'll join their father soon before Godzilla kills them." in any sort of reality or film context. But in terms of a global real-world response, there were definitely people making memes or jokes about the situations mentioned as a coping mechanism.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I think it's also important to point out that's it's possible to acknowledge the horror and tragedy of these situations while still finding humor in them. It's not an either/or thing, you can do both at the same time.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Humor and memes are overrated.

Plenty of different ways one could cope.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:17 am I think it's also important to point out that's it's possible to acknowledge the horror and tragedy of these situations while still finding humor in them. It's not an either/or thing, you can do both at the same time.
I would also agree with this.

Added in 46 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:18 am Humor and memes are overrated.

Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:18 am Humor and memes are overrated.

It's not really voluntary, though. Making memes is, sure, but you can't pick and choose what you laugh at. You find something funny or you don't, and that varies from person to person.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:54 am The rest of life struggling to survive, resort to eating your own dogs and people supposedly desperate for humor as if that's the only thing keeping faith alive.
Also, jesus christ is this an extreme interpretation of what's being discussed.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

But here's where this situation is different than anything else. Let's pretend the events in JUST the Showa Godzilla series were real, that everything that is fictional in those movies existed in real life.

COVID is a manageable disease. It got bigger than it should have and idiots politicized it, but its not going to wipe out entire cities. 9-11 was an isolated act of terror that was concentrated to one spot (more or less, I know the Pentagon was hit too) with all the deaths happening right there in a short amount of time. Tragic, but we endured.

Now imagine a world where, at any moment, a giant monster could rise from the ocean, crawl out of the ground, swoop down from the sky or even arrive from outer space and literally wipe out an ENTIRE CITY. Also think about all the alien races out there dying to kill us all and take over the planet, with technology we can't even imagine. In 1999 alone, New York City, Tokyo, Peking, London and Moscow were obliterated in what was probably only in the span of a few days.

There is nothing that had ever happened in the history of human civilization that we could compare this too. Life as we know it would pretty much be over, and the human race would be living a never ending existsnce of fear. Sure some sick assholes would laugh, but I don't think anyone else would.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:39 am But here's where this situation is different than anything else. Let's pretend the events in JUST the Showa Godzilla series were real, that everything that is fictional in those movies existed in real life.

COVID is a manageable disease. It got bigger than it should have and idiots politicized it, but its not going to wipe out entire cities. 9-11 was an isolated act of terror that was concentrated to one spot (more or less, I know the Pentagon was hit too) with all the deaths happening right there in a short amount of time. Tragic, but we endured.

Now imagine a world where, at any moment, a giant monster could rise from the ocean, crawl out of the ground, swoop down from the sky or even arrive from outer space and literally wipe out an ENTIRE CITY. Also think about all the alien races out there dying to kill us all and take over the planet, with technology we can't even imagine. In 1999 alone, New York City, Tokyo, Peking, London and Moscow were obliterated in what was probably only in the span of a few days.

There is nothing that had ever happened in the history of human civilization that we could compare this too. Life as we know it would pretty much be over, and the human race would be living a never ending existsnce of fear. Sure some sick assholes would laugh, but I don't think anyone else would.
Well, yeah. But as you said "Sure some sick assholes would laugh". I think that's the only point I was trying to make.

You're completely right about the sense of scale (though, I'd argue all three had a massive impact on the world on a whole), but I definitely think some people would use humor to cope.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:39 am
Now imagine a world where, at any moment, a giant monster could rise from the ocean, crawl out of the ground, swoop down from the sky or even arrive from outer space and literally wipe out an ENTIRE CITY.
Don't need to. I live in a world where two asshole nations have enough nuclear firepower to end all civilization. And to say nothing else about the other crazy ass nations that like reminding everyone they also have them.

I still laugh at North Korea, Russia and US ending the world stuff.

Added in 8 minutes 28 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:54 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:00 pm The rest of life struggling to survive, resort to eating your own dogs and people supposedly desperate for humor as if that's the only thing keeping faith alive.
[\quote]

What you talking about? China didn't invade Taiwan... Yet.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:24 am
Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:39 am
Now imagine a world where, at any moment, a giant monster could rise from the ocean, crawl out of the ground, swoop down from the sky or even arrive from outer space and literally wipe out an ENTIRE CITY.
Don't need to. I live in a world where two asshole nations have enough nuclear firepower to end all civilization. And to say nothing else about the other crazy ass nations that like reminding everyone they also have them.

I still laugh at North Korea, Russia and US ending the world stuff.
Nukes aren't quite the same simply because humans control them. Kim or Putin or whoever can't push the button without killing themselves in the process. Aside from maybe a few religious extremists, very few people are willing to actually go through with that, hence why it still hasn't happened. Nobody wins that war.

Kaiju, meanwhile, are essentially gods. They don't operate on human psychology, they have nothing to fear from attacking us, and we have no control over what they do. If the US and Russia are going to launch nukes, chances are there will be some big dramatic leadup to it. We'll see it coming and have time to prepare. There's usually no warning before a kaiju attack. No predicting it. No human logic to it. It basically sets humanity back a million years, to when the forces of nature were utterly mysterious, and a two thousand-pound bear could stroll into your cave at any moment. All you can do is pray it won't happen to you.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Beautifully said, JAG.