Space Monster Wangmagwi Coming to Home Video

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Space Monster Wangmagwi Coming to Home Video

Post by Terasawa »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:50 am
UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:50 am
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:00 am So, what's the deal with this film having been 'lost'? Did it just resurface when this release was announced, or...?
It wasn’t really “lost”, just not available anywhere outside of South Korea. It didn’t see a home media release anywhere and was only available through prints at the Korean Film Archive and digital copies viewable on-site only. It aired on TV a couple of times but nobody was able to record it.
Ah. I guess that probably doesn't bode well for its quality, but we'll see.
If the Google translation of the KMDb entry is correct, the Korean Film Archive holds the original camera negative, a master positive, and a release print. They created an HD master in 2010, for which the release print ideally should have only been used to fill what the other two earlier generation sources might be missing (if anything). Now, granted, that doesn't guarantee any of those elements is in pristine condition, but I think the fact an HD master was made and that it's getting a home media release is good reason to believe this will be at worst only acceptable.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Good you see you back, Teresawa. Some actual knowledge on topics like these is always welcome.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:23 am Good you see you back, Teresawa. Some actual knowledge on topics like these is always welcome.
Thanks! But I don't anticipate being around very often.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Might not be the best picture ever but seems more than serviceable.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The production values seem pretty good for 60's South Korea.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I wonder what the rights situation is to Wangmagwi and his design. Anybody know anything about Korean copyright law?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Iced Snowman
Ronin

Post by Iced Snowman »

Pre-order started at 7pm EST today. I just got mine w/ the rolled poster!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I'd love to have this one to go with Yongary, Monster from the Deep! Will it be available in stores, or can you only buy it online from the web site of the company that's releasing it?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

BUMP!

Got my copy and it's exactly what I was expecting. Super low budget, laughable everything and completely unsure if it wants to be a serious or comical kaiju movie. Pretty sure I heard a lot of the music in Yongary. This won't become one of my go-to movies by any means, but it's nice to have seen it after almost two decades of only hearing about it. But man, if there was ever ANY movie that could use a dub... It's this.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:48 pm I'd love to have this one to go with Yongary, Monster from the Deep! Will it be available in stores, or can you only buy it online from the web site of the company that's releasing it?
The latter. It won't be sold in stores.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That's unfortunate, but at least we can still get it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Annoying. I was waiting to see if it would turn up on Amazon. Oh well, I'll still get it at some point.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

What a fun movie this turned out to be! I was surprised by how much of a deliberate comedy it is, from the kid crawling around inside the monster's ears and sinuses to the two guys betting everything they have to see which of them can stay put the longest during the monster's rampage. There are two different instances of characters likening the monster to King Kong. At one point there's a guy trapped in a crowded building who can't find a restroom and resorts to squatting over a newspaper in front of everybody.

There are a few moments where it seems like there might be some footage missing. I haven't listened to the audio commentary yet but I'm sure it will shed more light on everything.

I liked this more than Yongary.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

A friend and I watched this a few weeks ago. We both loved it, expecting it to be low budget but not expecting the large amount of humor or jokes. A lot of it is experimental but also purposefully funny, and there were a few good memorable moments that we’re still talking about weeks later. I’m very glad I finally got to see it.

It does make me wonder about the 1962 Bulgasari (if it even exists) and what that must have looked like in comparison. I wouldn’t mind seeing any of these characters brought back from hibernation for a psychological South Korean reboot.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:48 pm I'd love to have this one to go with Yongary, Monster from the Deep! Will it be available in stores, or can you only buy it online from the web site of the company that's releasing it?
Turns out there's a DVD release that's coming to Amazon in June. I don't know if it will show up in physical stores, but given its obscurity, I wouldn't think so. As online shopping goes, though, Amazon is as safe and reliable as it gets. I very rarely have any kind of problems with them.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Watched this the other night and was surprised, it wasn't what I expected. Much more of a comedy than a thought, and with a bit of an odd sense of humor - kept thinking how weird it was. xD Honestly impressed by the miniatures! There were several shots where I was surprised to find it wasn't a composite shot, and some of the miniature buildings are not only very detailed but quite huge for the era. Definitely recognized at least one music track from Yongary (it has this distinctive bit with a harp). Glad to finally say I've gotten to see this after spending most of my life being told it was a lost film!

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

I watched this on Tubi last night. I’m glad I didn’t pay for it. I found most of the humor to be either crude or painfully drawn out. The plot is paper thin and left me shaking my head. The only redeeming feature was the miniature work which was quite impressive at times.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I got this film on Blu-ray a while back. Can't wait to see it!