Allies for Gamera

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Masterofsome01
Samurai

Allies for Gamera

Post by Masterofsome01 »

Something I've thought about lately is that Godzilla possesses allies like Anguirus, Rodan and Mothra to name a few, but good ol' Gamera has never had any monster allies of his own. Sure he's never needed an ally before as many of his fights are usually mono e mono, but if he did it would open up possibilities for tag-team matches in the franchise

Do you think it would be a good idea to give Gamera a monster ally or two? If so would you want it to be an entirely new monster or a reworked version of an old villain?

Personally if I had to pick the latter I'd like to bring back Guiron as an ally leading to a sort of sword and shield (or in Gamera's case shell) motif, plus they both hate Gyaos so that's something to bond over.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Allies for Gamera

Post by LegendZilla »

I think a White tiger and/or Azure dragon since Gamera is based on the black tortoise of the north.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

A kirin/qilin-based kaiju given their benevolent nature in Chinese and Japanese myths.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Barugon. Just straight up have them pull a Godzilla and Anguirus. First kaiju Gamera ever fought becomes his best friend! :P

But FR, before Daiei made Space Gyaos, in its place was a giant, flying squirrel kaiju named "Monga". Wouldn't that be cool for an ally to Gamera? Someone who's more frail, but can still come in when his best friend is in trouble?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Gigantis wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:28 pm before Daiei made Space Gyaos, in its place was a giant, flying squirrel kaiju named "Monga". Wouldn't that be cool for an ally to Gamera? Someone who's more frail, but can still come in when his best friend is in trouble?
I'm down for Monga! More mammalian kaiju would probably be a good thing. But I'd also be down for Barugon being an ally.
Now for a hot take: I think a Showa style Gamera with Barugon and Gyaos as allies would be cool. I know what you're thinking, Gyaos is like his Joker, but really I think the next Gamera reboot needs to be really bold and move in new directions!
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sat May 28, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

CommanderPhoenix
Monarch Researcher

Post by CommanderPhoenix »

You know who I would want as an ally for Gamera in a future movie? Garasharp. Bring her back from the realm of unused kaiju.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:16 pm A kirin/qilin-based kaiju given their benevolent nature in Chinese and Japanese myths.
Is it safe to say that a qilin is the rough equivalent of a Chimera in Chinese mythology?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:12 pmIs it safe to say that a qilin is the rough equivalent of a Chimera in Chinese mythology?
I can see that honestly as the qilin/kirin is basically a Chinese unicorn. Has traits of a dragon, horse, ox and deer basically.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:56 pm I think a White tiger and/or Azure dragon since Gamera is based on the black tortoise of the north.
Don't forget a Vermilion bird.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

mikelcho wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:04 am
LegendZilla wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:56 pm I think a White tiger and/or Azure dragon since Gamera is based on the black tortoise of the north.
Don't forget a Vermilion bird.
We kind of got that with Iris.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The tiger and dragon are good ideas, and so is a Kirin.

Since Gamera can be seen as a fire monster of sorts, it'd be a good idea to have his allies represent other elements. Dragons are frequently associated with water in folklore, so that might work, and a Kirin would be a good land creature.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

This sounds like the name of an organization. "We are the Allies for Gamera, and we will get Gamera the reboot he deserves."
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:51 pm This sounds like the name of an organization. "We are the Allies for Gamera, and we will get Gamera the reboot he deserves."
I'm cool with getting "ALLIES OF GAMERA" tattooed on my face until Kadokawa relents.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:51 pm This sounds like the name of an organization. "We are the Allies for Gamera, and we will get Gamera the reboot he deserves."
A group formed by all the kids Gamera has saved or that have helped Gamera, with Asagi and Toshio as President and vice president.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

The fact that Gamera has no equivalent kaiju allies is a defining part of his character. He's an underdog who fights against overwhelming odds and gets thrashed to hell and back before finally turning the tables.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Godzilla can be his pal if they ever crossover.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Mothra might be a better choice. Both are seen as protectors.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

How about this: Gamera Meets the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

The original mutant turtle meets four teenaged upstarts. Sheer drama, folks, sheer drama.