Shin Ultraman General Discussion (spoilers!)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Creature22
EDF Instructor

Re: Shin-Ultraman SPOILER THREAD/REVIEW

Post by Creature22 »

Having gotten to see both the subbed and dubbed (I’m nuts, I went twice), I think the dub team did a really good job and it’s nice to have the option available. The actor performing Zarab was excellent, and Mefilas also had great delivery (although I think he could have benefitted from a somewhat deeper voice).
Spoiler:
I’ll admit that Zōffy’s English voice threw me off a little. The actor did a good job with it, but it reminded me too much of Ralph Fiennes/Ewan McGregor when I went in expecting a deep and stern American accent ala Jon Hamm.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Okay, hit the dub screening as well and that second viewing helped me collect my thoughts...

I've compared Shin Ultraman to the Wachowskis' Speed Racer in that it takes an entire series from the '60s, boils it down to a concentrate and does essentially the entire series worth of stuff in one 2-hour movie. I marveled at how many beats from those 39 original episodes were included, sometimes in pretty different contexts. Visuals, music, and sounds are immediately apparent, but there's even more story and thematic elements, even chunks of dialog that have been retrofitted into this. Like with Speed Racer, on first viewing they seem like multiple episodes edited together, but on closer inspection the way everything links together is clearer. In addition; elements of Ultra Q and Ultraseven seep in at the edges, and on top of that there's the paratext of things fans have talked about for the last 55 years included in the dialog (is Ultraman naked?).

For a jam-packed, breakneck paced film with 5 separate monster battle scenes in it I really admire the economy of the thing. How many shots do we need to establish a plot point? Do we need to actually see this special effect, or can we imply it? How can we frame a shot in a spare space and make it intersting? Within the framework of a film with roughly the same budget as several Toho Godzilla films made in the '90s and '00s that look so flat, that are shot in such a lifeless way, well, it's very impressive. Showing a few shots of people going about their lives getting a haircut or whatever when they've decided not to tell the public that the world is about to end and they can't do anything about it is such a simple, powerful thing to show and having many millions of more dollars to show the scope of that idea would not have helped it's telling at all. Epic, bold, weird, but also incredibly economical. You could've easily made this three hours and I don't think it would've made it better.

Effects were consistent, often inspired, and occasionally a tad awkward. The more organic monsters suffer a bit more, but the alien-ness of the aliens turns their digital nature into an aesthetic. I would have loved more tactile, practical effects. That being said, my favorite effect is the subtle stuff: the birds flying and debris blowing around between Ultraman and the camera. I'd love to see those types of things coupled with practical suitmation on a large scale one of these days. So, mixed but mostly positive on the effects, but the overall design and esthetics? Fantastic.

I didn't mind that the SSSP didn't have special weapons and vehicles, because they cut to the core of the concept and preserved what was important: it's a group of people who investigate and solve problems, while standing in for all of humanity in the context of Ultraman. That core was not just there, but central to the movie. Ultraman the franchise is just as much about the defense team as it is about Ultraman and kaiju.

Also, the theater was half full both times, but because this was for the dub a lot of people brought their kids! Both times folks seemed really jazzed about it, discussing it after and whatnot.

Dub was pretty good, I quite liked the Captain and Zarab's voices. Weird decision to make the Ultra's native accent British. When Ultraman is talking to Zoffy in human form he's retained the American accent of the rest of the film, but when he's Ultraman he and Zoffy are two jolly Brits. I understand it's to get across the difference in formalism between the human and Ultra dialog in Japanese, but I think it's a bit too bold of a choice to spring on an audience. Still, it shows that the translators were thinking deeply about getting across the meaning of the original dialogue and honestly I applaud when translators take bold swings in order to capture the spirit of something that just doesn't translate in the simplified world of just subtitles.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Angilasman wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:19 am Weird decision to make the Ultra's native accent British. When Ultraman is talking to Zoffy in human form he's retained the American accent of the rest of the film, but when he's Ultraman he and Zoffy are two jolly Brits. I understand it's to get across the difference in formalism between the human and Ultra dialog in Japanese, but I think it's a bit too bold of a choice to spring on an audience.
My thoughts exactly. I don’t think it was a bad decision so to speak (I think fans will be split on this and it’s going to be a matter of preference), but for me it made it feel somewhat inconsistent. I really liked Zōffy’s Japanese voice and portrayal and it definitely felt entirely different when watching the dub. Which is actually kind of cool because you can see him portrayed in two ways, but I think the British Zōffy struck me as sounding more “royal” while the Japanese voice was more like a higher up officer on the job and something of a mentor (but not necessarily older and wiser).
Last edited by Creature22 on Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

What was up with all the ass-clapping?
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:16 am What was up with all the ass-clapping?
Or Ultraman smelling Asami :lol: From what I've heard from oversea fans, the clapping (lmao this feels hilarious to write out of context) is just a sign of camaraderie between colleagues. Bit of a "Yeah, go go go! You can do this!". Again, just from my understanding. Usually I see it in sports but I think it was just to give Asami's character a little quirk.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Creature22 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:50 am My thoughts exactly. I don’t think it was a bad decision so to speak (I think fans will be split on this and it’s going to be a matter of preference), but for me it made it feel somewhat inconsistent. I really liked Zōffy’s Japanese voice and portrayal and it definitely felt entirely different when watching the dub. Which is actually kind of cool because you can see him portrayed in two ways, but I think the British Zōffy struck me as sounding more “royal” while the Japanese voice was more like a higher up officer on the job and something of a mentor (but not necessarily older and wiser).
In subtitles it'd be cool if you gave them a more old fashioned looking font... but subs are constrained by the tech of the home media or streaming platforms. It'd be hard to keep consistent.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Went last night. It’s basically the original show condensed into a movie. My kids(12 and 9) went as well and liked it too. Definitely a cultural difference for them. They really liked that it had multiple stories in one.

Also, I didn’t realize this did really well in Japan at the box office. Over 30 million for this is very good. Well done.
Last edited by Cookson on Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Honestly this was the most enjoyable kaiju movie going experience of my adult life. Absolutely loved it.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I enjoyed it! Right after finishing I commented that I felt liked I'd watched an entire season of the show.

Probably my only criticism is I felt like the movie had tried a little too much, and of the three latter story arcs (Zareb, Mefilas, Zetton) one should have been cut or consolidated. The movie felt like it was about to end at the end of each of those arcs, and especially after Mefilas I was stunned how much longer the movie kept going. (How was this less than 2 hours?) Almost like they had ideas for two movies and tried to crunch it all into just one.

That said, I still very much enjoyed it: the characters were fun, the action was great, the visual effects were fantastic, and I loved seeing the movie capture the spirit of the original series. :)

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Man, I really loved this movie. I just want to watch it again... or maybe watch the OG series again!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think it says a lot that a lot of people are enjoying this as it’s own property, but also saying it works as a condensed version of the 1966 show.

While I think this film is perfect in its own right. It’s interesting how it can capture the original Ultraman series so well, despite lacking three major heavy hitters. Those heavy hitters being Alien Baltan, Gomora, and Red King. Baltan and Gomora arguably might be more recognizable and significant in the genre in comparison to any of the featured monsters and aliens. Likewise, no Pigmon, flying machines, or funny outfits.

This isn’t a criticism of Shin Ultraman at all, just saying that the original series is still worth watching, and had so many zany, creative, and ICONIC ideas it would be impossible to condense it into a film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Apparently they had some idea as to the basic shape of the plot and themes and chose the monsters/aliens to match that (think of the escalation from Pagos to Neronga to Gabora as Mephilas mixes and matches parts as he takes more effort behind the scenes). I read Higuchi say they strongly considered Baltan, but their sympathetic origin of refugees turned conquers didn't fit on with what they were doing.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Yeah, when was the last time Baltan appeared out of a stage show? Not counting the Baltan stand-in seen in the anime.

I do agree with their choices for the film. Lord help me if we had to see another Red King & Gomora :lol: Like, the last time we saw Gabora was all the way back in Powered, so it was a treat to see him return.

And I'm glad the film is bringing in so many new fans!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Creature22 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:13 am Having gotten to see both the subbed and dubbed (I’m nuts, I went twice), I think the dub team did a really good job and it’s nice to have the option available. The actor performing Zarab was excellent, and Mefilas also had great delivery (although I think he could have benefitted from a somewhat deeper voice).
Spoiler:
I’ll admit that Zōffy’s English voice threw me off a little. The actor did a good job with it, but it reminded me too much of Ralph Fiennes/Ewan McGregor when I went in expecting a deep and stern American accent ala Jon Hamm.
Kellen Goff (Zarab) is an amazing voice actor. His work as Diavolo in Jojo is insane.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Another thing I wanted to bring up. I don't know if they was a dub thing hut the hints that this may be connected to Shin Godzilla don't exist at all in the dub other than the title and Gomess.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:13 am Yeah, when was the last time Baltan appeared out of a stage show? Not counting the Baltan stand-in seen in the anime.

I do agree with their choices for the film. Lord help me if we had to see another Red King & Gomora :lol: Like, the last time we saw Gabora was all the way back in Powered, so it was a treat to see him return.
They also hit a nice mix of opponents: two traditional kaiju, two seijin, and one.... thing. The revamped Zetton is more in the tradition of enormous object-like opponents like Bullton or Prizuma or many others throughout the franchise's history.

Thinking about it, I also love the mix they came up for the SSSP: a captain, two science nerds, two spy/action types (one of whom is Ultraman), and the bureaucrat above them who attempts to protect them from the rest of the government (whether it's shortsighted politicians or kill-crazy military types). They really boiled down the defense team formula well.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:01 pm Another thing I wanted to bring up. I don't know if they was a dub thing hut the hints that this may be connected to Shin Godzilla don't exist at all in the dub other than the title and Gomess.
I've seen both versions and I can say for sure the Godzilla and Kumo Augment reference rumor is just that. A rumor. Shin Ultraman has about as much to do with Shin Godzilla as the Ultra Series has to do with Godzilla.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: Shin Ultraman General Discussion (spoilers!)

Post by Rody »

Anime News Network has a review up for the film, and I think the opening paragraph hits the nail on the head regarding a certain prop and the overall theme of the film:

You can summarize Shin Ultraman thusly: in many of the shots taking place in the SSSP ofice, SSSP member Taki's model of the USS Enterprise is proudly seen on his desk, surrounded by other models of cars and the vehicles from Thunderbirds. At the end of the day, what saves humanity is not advanced weaponry, technology, or even fisticuffs: it's making the best of humanity being thrust into circumstances it isn't prepared to face, and the best of humanity taking that little nudge to come together.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review ... an/.193889

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

If I were doing Shin Ultraman in America I'd have Zarab or Mefilas doing a TED Talk about how their plans are really great for mankind.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Rody wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:19 am Anime News Network has a review up for the film, and I think the opening paragraph hits the nail on the head regarding a certain prop and the overall theme of the film:

You can summarize Shin Ultraman thusly: in many of the shots taking place in the SSSP ofice, SSSP member Taki's model of the USS Enterprise is proudly seen on his desk, surrounded by other models of cars and the vehicles from Thunderbirds. At the end of the day, what saves humanity is not advanced weaponry, technology, or even fisticuffs: it's making the best of humanity being thrust into circumstances it isn't prepared to face, and the best of humanity taking that little nudge to come together.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review ... an/.193889
That's a really good observation. When watching it I was questioning the significance of all the Star Trek stuff, which is stuff I'm pretty sure Anno and Higuchi probably like, but I was wondering if there was anything deeper. It works well as character development, an easter egg, and symbolizing the films themes and views on humanity.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.