NOPE; Alien Invasion by Jordan Peele

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Re: NOPE; Alien Invasion by Jordan Peele

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

Agreed. This felt like a very personal, hand-crafted movie despite the big budget and epic scope. A lot of blockbusters lately feel like they were written by an algorithm.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Wow! So happy I managed to avoid spoiling the big surprise! As a monster fan, naturally I was quite happy.

Cast was excellent.

I think some may claim that the first half is a bit too slow... but I think it was justified by the end. You needed to sit and stew with these guys a while for everything to hit right.

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

I actually liked the first half more than the second half. Both are good but the sense of dread leading up to the big reveal was amazing.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ It does that thing where the two halves of the movie are almost different genres (like Jaws). I've always liked that format.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

A bit late to the party (thanks Japan), but I finally got to see this. Absolutely loved it. While it's not going to be my favorite film of the year, I think it's a great alien film, and I can't stop thinking about it. It's definitely one of those films that will be better upon repeat viewings, and I'm glad that films like this can still be made and be appreciated by large audiences.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

By far Jordan Peele's best movie.

Jean Jacket is basically Orga right?

I mean I liked Get Out and Us. But would anyone ever watch them again? Nope has that appeal as a movie that will personally connect with someone that they don't. Maybe it's because Jean Jacket is a unique take on a monster.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:36 pm I mean I liked Get Out and Us. But would anyone ever watch them again?
Yes?

I happily rewatch Get Out.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Spuro wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:10 am
Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:36 pm I mean I liked Get Out and Us. But would anyone ever watch them again?
Yes?

I happily rewatch Get Out.
Yeah, I've rewatched both movies. For me, Us improved on second viewing.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

So I rewatched the main trailer and it is a lot more spoilery now that I've seen the movie. Really glad I only remembered the shot of the saucer itself (once if cinema previews don't count) because it shows basically everything else the movie had to offer.
Spoiler:
Well, except for Jean Jacket in its unfurled state.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

BUMP!

Just got around to finally watching this, and what a gem. I knew the twist going in, but didn't expect such a sudden tonal shift after the blood rain. Movie goes from straight sci-fi horror to a monster on the loose romp. One of the first, truly great original monster movies of the 2020's. I really hope we see more of this specific creature somehow, be it a sequel or comic, or whatever. With the proof of its existence now, I'm curious to see how Peele would craft a world's response to the fact there's man-eating flying jellyfish out there.

And the little nods to the kaiju genre at the end with the giant balloon... Perfection. SHMA/NECA Jean Jacket when!?
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Jean Jacket reminded me of, like, an Ultra Q kaiju.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:23 pm SHMA/NECA Jean Jacket when!?
SHMA is right out. In the likely event that this movie picks up a cult following over the years, though, I can see NECA picking it up two or three decades down the pipe. Short term, I think we're out of luck. The movie made money, but just doesn't seem to have made enough of a pop culture splash to get any merchandise. Which is a damn shame.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio