NOPE; Alien Invasion by Jordan Peele

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

NOPE; Alien Invasion by Jordan Peele

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Calling on a twist.

The so-called aliens are actually time travelers, future human descendants who had overtime evolved to become completely different.

Also apparently NOPE stands for Not Of Planet Earth.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun May 01, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: NOPE; Alien Invasion by Jordan Peele

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Ah that was a pretty weird title.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I love that Peele has basically made his own name a kind of franchise; a series of original sci-fi horror stories. I hope he does it for decades.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

We already had a thread for this but somehow it disappeared. That happens a lot around here.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Reactions to test screenings say the movie is a lot like Signs, my favorite movie. I love sci fi horror, I can not wait! Plus I loved Peele's US.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Anguirus wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:06 pm Reactions to test screenings say the movie is a lot like Signs, my favorite movie.
The same movie where aliens years above our technology invades a planet 70% acid butt-naked with a weakness for water and wood and unable to get through pantry doors.

Wonder what weakness Jordan Peele cooked up for these "aliens". :lol:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon May 02, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:45 pm
Anguirus wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:06 pm Reactions to test screenings say the movie is a lot like Signs, my favorite movie.
The same movie where aliens years above our technology invades a planet 70% acid butt-naked with a weakness for water and wood and unable to get through pantry doors.

Wonder what weakness Jordan Peele cooked up for these "aliens". :lol:
Logically, Signs makes no sense... but if you think of it less like a 'logical' science fiction story and more like a fable, or even a fairy tale, the logic snaps into place. Of course, whether you believe in faith, miracles, grace or whatever (I'm personally skeptical) also affects your appreciation, as that's clearly what Shyamalan is chasing after.

Anyway, NOPE's small desert town setting reminds me of vintage sci-fi because of It Came From Outer Space, Tarantula, The Monolith Monsrers, and Tremors!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Angilasman wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:59 pm Logically, Signs makes no sense... but if you think of it less like a 'logical' science fiction story and more like a fable, or even a fairy tale, the logic snaps into place. Of course, whether you believe in faith, miracles, grace or whatever (I'm personally skeptical) also affects your appreciation, as that's clearly what Shyamalan is chasing after.
Whether or not you consider the movie objectively good depends on what mindset you watch it with so it seems.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I find Signs is quite the decisive film, in ways that the rest of Shyamalan's oeuvre aren't. Those who dislike it seem to really be held up by the films failure to suspend their disbelief, those who enjoy it seem to be captivated by the films sense of awe and are often really invested in the film's investigation of faith. I didn't particularly enjoy the film when I first saw it (I used to have the "enlightened", read edgy and naïve, opinion that A Quiet Place is a better retelling of the story, although I've come to realize that despite its narrative similarities, the films cover some different thematic material), but I'd like to give it a second change.

That being said, I look forward to "NOPE", curious to see what direction it goes.
He Jock it Made of Steel

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:59 pm Those who dislike it seem to really be held up by the films failure to suspend their disbelief, those who enjoy it seem to be captivated by the films sense of awe and are often really invested in the film's investigation of faith.
You hit the nail on the head. The alien aspect of the film is almost secondary for me. And I'm not even a man of faith, but find discussion of faith to be a moving and interesting topic.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

There's of course the whole "aliens are demons and the water was holy water" theory. Wasn't really all that interested in Get Out and US but I'm really intrigued by this one.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:10 pm
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:59 pm Those who dislike it seem to really be held up by the films failure to suspend their disbelief, those who enjoy it seem to be captivated by the films sense of awe and are often really invested in the film's investigation of faith.
You hit the nail on the head. The alien aspect of the film is almost secondary for me. And I'm not even a man of faith, but find discussion of faith to be a moving and interesting topic.
Right? I'm not religious, but I love religious themes in sci fi movies like Signs and Prometheus, my favorite movies. I find them interesting to ponder.

If only Alien Covenant followed that theme instead of....ugh....

Anyway, apparently Nope does not have any political or social message according to tweets I read.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone think Peele could direct a Stephen King adaptation? Also, since someone else brought up suspension of disbelief, does everyone have their own way of doing so?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue May 03, 2022 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:26 pm Does anyone think Peele could direct a Stephen King adaptation? Also, since someone else brought up suspension of disbelief, does everyone have their own way of doing so?
I would love if he directed a new adaptation of either The Langoliers or Children of the Corn.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Like Signs? Uh-oh. My head cannon is that the aliens were basically frat-boys on vacation. "Woo hoo let's go to the planet with water all over it!!!" "Yeah let's go down there and get naked!"
Y'know there is a movie where I forgive the hard to swallow opening premise because I like the situation so much: A Quiet Place. "How the **** did these things destroy all the military!?!?!?!" Me: Yeaaaaaah........but I love the setting so I forgive it.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Frankly, A Quiet Place bored me.
The movie Annihilation I thought was interesting. I loved the last twenty minutes, although I can barely remember the rest of the movie.
The movie Underwater disappointed me, as somebody who loves underwater horror. I thought T.J. Miller's character was a bit annoying with all his quips.
A sci-fi film that I think is really underrated is Life (2017). I really liked the twist on that one. It's actually probably my favorite film from 2017.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Anguirus wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:42 pm Frankly, A Quiet Place bored me.
The movie Annihilation I thought was interesting. I loved the last twenty minutes, although I can barely remember the rest of the movie.
The movie Underwater disappointed me, as somebody who loves underwater horror. I thought T.J. Miller's character was a bit annoying with all his quips.
A sci-fi film that I think is really underrated is Life (2017). I really liked the twist on that one. It's actually probably my favorite film from 2017.
I'm guessing you're not a big fan of the original Alien either.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:13 pm
Anguirus wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:42 pm Frankly, A Quiet Place bored me.
I'm guessing you're not a big fan of the original Alien either.
Alien is in my top three movies. I much prefer it over Aliens.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

So saw the movie today.

Really liked the twist.
Spoiler:
The "UFO" turns out to be an atmospheric beast, in other words, a flying alien creature that preys on people and such who then proceeds to slowly digest them alive. Surely a horrible way to go.

Lives up to its title Nope.
Enjoyed this one just as much as Get Out. Us I thought was decent but nowhere as good as these two.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.