Talkback: The War of the Gargantuas (1966)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: Talkback: The War of the Gargantuas (1966)

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Which is which? Export dub, do they name the Gargantuas? I distinctly remember one dub they were called 'brown' and 'green.' But I think that one had better dubbing with the lead scientist being very dry with some humor.
I always find myself feeling awfully sad as I watch them fighting and I see the volcano coming up. Not like I'm about to burst into tears but a sudden slight dip in my humor. I seem to forget it until I'm watching the movie.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That trumpet music helps to capture the tragic moment.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:06 pm Which is which? Export dub, do they name the Gargantuas? I distinctly remember one dub they were called 'brown' and 'green.' But I think that one had better dubbing with the lead scientist being very dry with some humor.
I always find myself feeling awfully sad as I watch them fighting and I see the volcano coming up. Not like I'm about to burst into tears but a sudden slight dip in my humor. I seem to forget it until I'm watching the movie.
"Brown Gargantua" and "Green Gargantua" are the UPA dub.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I think the UPA dub was better even if they didn't give the monster's names.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I am certainly the most acquainted with the UPA cut having grown up with it and all (and it is ultimately the version I first think of when the film gets brought up), but I'm honestly not a fan of Glen Glen Sound's dub for it. I find Mizuno's voice mildly annoying, and it has this slightly unnerving "echo" sound throughout. It also features the smuggest Tamblyn of the lot, which can either be a good thing or bad thing depending on who you ask. And while I do enjoy "Terror Hunt" on its own merits, it gets pretty old after a while.
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:17 pm I have a pretty good feeling that if and when this movie hits home media again (though I'm not optimistic) whoever releases it (I'm assuming Criterion) will use the version streaming on HBO Max now - Toho's HD print with the export dub attached to it. I guarantee that, legally, the US version is long gone.
In fairness, Toho actually did release the UPA version (along with a sloppy FCTW reconstruction) as a bonus DVD in a boxset circa 2007, indicating they at least had some affinity for the cut...but given that was 15+ years ago now, so there's a good chance things have changed.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Rewatched this last night and I gotta say, that entire final battle is gorgeous. I love the way the larger buildings scale next to the Gargantuas, and the use of lightning with a plethora of nice shots putting the brothers in perspective. When we see Sanda trying to reconcile he is in the center of the frame facing the audience while it cuts to Gaira further away in a larger shot, restricted to the far right of the screen, as if to convey that it's already too late to get through to him. The maser assault in the finale is great too, the blue of the maser beams adds some nice bits of color throughout the fight. There was a shot earlier with Russ's character as he opens the curtains and we see Tokyo burst to life with neon signs and even skylights far off in the distance, I liked that. I could go on about the finale, the forest assault, the airport scene - hell even the fog scene with the hikers, but I'll just leave it at this film being top-notch in setting up interesting new stages for the kaiju.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'm pretty sure that neon Tokyo skyline could be the same miniature one from the final scene of Matango, but I'll have to watch Matango again soon to really judge. Breathtaking either way!
I also *love* the little handheld flourishes during the final confrontation. I'm not a huge fan of shaky cam but in tokusatsu, in small doses? It's an incredibly effective tool.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I just watched this movie last night with a friend on Tubi. The transfer beets the shit out of the Classic Media Release.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Is it the US dub?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Mechagoji mentions the airport scene, and I agree that's it's a good sequence. When Gaira attacks, you can hear the panic and desperation in the controller's voice as he pleads with the plane not to land. There's also the lighting effect when the sun emerges from the clouds. It makes an effective scene.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

It's the International Dub with the Gengo dubber from Godzilla vs Gigan voicing Russ Tamblyn.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

I don’t know of any streaming service which has the US/Saperstein edition. I checked HBO Max, YouTube, Tubi, Pluto TV, Plex, and Freevee but they all have the Toho International edition.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

That's because for whatever reason, that version is not the "preferred" English version of the movie now. The opposite of the situation back in 2008, where the US version was their preferred version! This is why we should hold onto DVDs and tapes, and advocate for both versions, and supporting archiving them just in case.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

StardustGenius wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:55 am That's because for whatever reason, that version is not the "preferred" English version of the movie now. The opposite of the situation back in 2008, where the US version was their preferred version!
I suspect it was a condition of the original contract. Saperstein probably had exclusive distribution rights for 50 years in the US. That shouldn’t preclude streaming services from showing Saperstein’s edition nowadays unless Toho has language in their streaming deal that restricts any streaming service from carrying both editions.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Might also be another case of Toho wanting to license versions of their movies that they 100% sure own without having to pay royalties or honor old contracts.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

On the subjects of dubs, I kinda prefer the Gengo voice dubber over Russ Tamblyn's voice over. He just sounds a whole lot more enthusiastic than Tamblyn does.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Svengoolie showed the UPA dub of Gargantuas the other day.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

I’ve recently noticed new modern movie posters for WotG floating around:

They are quite stunning! Does anyone know how or why they came about?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

^uhhh no idea but both of those are pretty freaky.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:26 pm ^uhhh no idea but both of those are pretty freaky.
I noticed the first one when some sites started using it for the movie’s thumbnail. I found the second one on IMDb.