The Godzilla Universe's Most Powerful Monster (barring the obvious)

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

The Godzilla Universe's Most Powerful Monster (barring the obvious)

Post by Voyager »

Throughout the nearly 68 years of Toho Kaiju Eiga, many powerful monsters and mechs have graced the screen. But who do you think are the most powerful? Barring the Polygon Anime Ghidorah, Godzilla and Mechagodzilla.

For me, it comes down to this list.

Godzilla (Showa)
Hedorah (Showa)
Mechagodzilla (Showa)
Godzilla (Heisei)
Super Mechagodzilla
SpaceGodzilla
Destoroyah
Grand King Ghidorah
Armour Mothra
Godzilla (MV)
and King Ghidorah (MV)

If I had to pick just one however, I'm ultimately giving this to Destoroyah. Her durability is near unmatched.

I wonder what you guys think!
Last edited by Voyager on Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Re: The Godzilla Universe's Most Powerful Monster (barring the obvious)

Post by Spuro »

Destoroyah and Hedorah. Both of them are capable of growing and evolving the longer time goes on. Both are shown to be able to split into multiple independent bodies. Humanity is lucky that both these guys were defeated when they were; with enough time they'd be virtually unstoppable.

Other monsters are plenty tough, but they don't get bigger, more powerful, and more numerous with time like Destoroyah and Hedorah do.

Also if you're putting Grand King Ghidorah in that list, Voyager, then Armor Mothra definitely needs to be in there. I'd give Armor Mothra odds against Godzilla Earth, and that's saying something.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Spuro wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:31 am Destoroyah and Hedorah. Both of them are capable of growing and evolving the longer time goes on. Both are shown to be able to split into multiple independent bodies. Humanity is lucky that both these guys were defeated when they were; with enough time they'd be virtually unstoppable.

Other monsters are plenty tough, but they don't get bigger, more powerful, and more numerous with time like Destoroyah and Hedorah do.

Also if you're putting Grand King Ghidorah in that list, Voyager, then Armor Mothra definitely needs to be in there. I'd give Armor Mothra odds against Godzilla Earth, and that's saying something.
Oh yeah haha! I totally forgot about Mothra! She’s (he in this case) is never in my mind when thinking of powerful kaiju!
For Emperor and Empire!

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Through all the generations of films, I would highlight the following kaiju:

Hedorah Showa
Mechagodzilla 1974
Spacegodzilla
Burning Godzilla
Destoroyah
Armored Mothra
Final Wars Godzilla
Keiser Ghidorah
Monsterverse Godzilla
Monsterverse King Ghidorah

A top 5 of these imo would look something like this (in no particular order)

1. Burning Godzilla
2. Armored Mothra
3. Mechagodzilla 1974
4. Tie between FW and Monsterverse Godzilla
5. Monsterverse Ghidorah

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Interesting thread. Ignoring the Anime Trilogy Kaiju the powerhouses I deem in chronological order.

1. Godzilla (Showa): Though a bit of an underdog when he became more heroic, his feats put him with the best of Godzillas not named Godzilla Earth. Plus he has a victory dance, so he has style.
2. King Ghidorah (Showa): Took more than one Kaiju to defeat him in every single film he was in. His presence may have lost his magic after its first run but still put some respect to the OG space dragon.
3. Hedorah (Showa): Even if I feel people overhype his regen, he was one of the hardest Kaiju to put down and is a walking extermination of humanity. Wished we would've gotten another showing of him TBH.
4. Mechagodzilla (Showa): Very likely would've beaten Godzilla and King Caesar 2 on 1 had it not been for a blatant asspull Godzilla's crafty magnetic powers. Even if he sort of took a more complimentary role to Titanosaurus in the sequel he was almost as dangerous.
5. Godzilla (Heisei): A consistent badass who only gets bigger and more deadly as the Heisei films carry along. Had to introduce some impressive Kaiju and incarnations of classic Kaiju to present a challenge.
6. Mechagodzilla (Heisei): Probably the strongest Mechagodzilla, even if by far the most boring. Had Godzilla dead for rights were it not for another ass pull Rodan's sacrifice.
7. SpaceGodzilla: About as mobile as a brick, but when you can lift Godzilla-sized Kaiju with your mind and with the destructive rays it had, who needs it? Required a 2 on 1 to take down.
8. Destoroyah: Probably the most durable of Godzilla's foes without regen and a deadly MFer in his own right. Had it not been for the fact Heisei Godzilla was in meltdown mode, he might've killed him. Gave him a hell of a fight regardless.
9. Mothra Leo: The powerhouse of Mothra's family who has more power ups than a manga character. Little guy was able to throw his weight around taking on an impressive lineup of foes. Easy enough being Toho's Mary Sue Kaiju and all.
10. Grand King Ghidorah: Debatably the strongest version of Ghidorah who isn't spaghetti noodles. Utterly dominated Mothra Leo after 2 films of fights and power ups, and even "dying" in the past wasn't enough to keep him down. Took Mothra Leo's 11th hour BS transformation to win.
11. Godzilla (GMK): Took out 3 Kaiju, 2 of them tag teaming on him and one of them getting a Shonen power boost and came out on top. Only was taken down with a human drilling a superdrill from the inside and even then, he wasn't quite dead. Yeah yeah "they were weak Kaiju" but still giving him respect for a dominant showing.
12. Godzilla (GFW): Ran an actual gauntlet of Kaiju, including 3 of them teaming on his ass, and was able to beat them all down without missing a beat. Only 1 Kaiju in the film gave him a direct challenge, and this after he ate a meteor to the face.
13. Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah: The one Kaiju who fought Godzilla on equal footing, and when he transformed utterly stomped him requiring you guessed it another ass pull superhuman intervention to make Godzilla go Super Saiyan to stop him.
14. Godzilla (MV): The big guy proves to be just as worthy to be on the same list as his Showa and Heisei predecessors. Kicking Titan ass near 24/7 to show who is boss with some impressive feats of his own. Burrowing to the Hollow Earth just to tell Kong to come up to catch these hands sums it all up.
15. King Ghidorah (MV): An imposing and powerful version of the space dragon who manages to show why he is Godzilla's biggest threat over the course of the MonsterVerse. Making other imposing Titans bend to his will and bringing Godzilla to his death where it not for Mothra's sacrifice and that dumb Orca.
16. Mechagodzilla (MV): Could just tie into King Ghidorah but screw it making him his own spot for a solid sweet 16. Was giving Godzilla the business and came close to killing him and Kong in a 2 on 1 were it not for whisky a WTF kinda save.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

For most powerful hero and villain, I choose Armor Mothra and SG. Armor Mothra can shrug off attacks with that armor hide and has a weapon that can kill in one move. Also consider that AM pushed a monster larger than itself without any trouble. SpaceGodzilla has a multitude of strong attacks, and has practically unlimited energy with a crystal fortress. SG had no problems dealing with Godzilla and Moguera until its shoulder crystals were blown off.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

As far as Godzilla’s foes go, I’d say Keizer Ghidorah. He utterly dominated arguably the most powerful version of Godzilla we’d seen up to that point until he got a power up.
FW Godzilla, post GvMG93 Heisei Godzilla, Destoroyah, SpaceGodzilla, MV Godzilla, MV Ghidorah, and MV MechaGodzilla all have a place in the discussion, in no particular order.

As you may have noticed, I am excluding temporary plot armor power ups, hence no powered up FW Godzilla, either burning Godzilla, or Armor Mothra.

The reason I didn’t include Hedorah is because there are just too many ways to exploit his weakness to electricity, IMO.
Last edited by JesstrK on Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Armor Mothra kills all and gets top spot. Everything else fights for the spots below it.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

Moth wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:13 pm Armor Mothra kills all and gets top spot. Everything else fights for the spots below it.
I don’t know, if we are bringing in plot armor power ups, powered-up Final Wars Godzilla and MV burning Godzilla are in the same league as Armor Mothra. Like Armor Mothra, they were able to stomp the most powerful versions of Ghidorah with no difficulty.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

JesstrK wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:20 pm
Moth wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:13 pm Armor Mothra kills all and gets top spot. Everything else fights for the spots below it.
I don’t know, if we are bringing in plot armor power ups, powered-up Final Wars Godzilla and MV burning Godzilla are in the same league as Armor Mothra. Like Armor Mothra, they were able to stomp the most powerful versions of Ghidorah with no difficulty.
Yeah hard to say much about FW Boosted Godzilla, Fire MV Godzilla and Armor Mothra beyond "they shit stomp an overpowered Ghidorah."

Scribelord
Ronin

Post by Scribelord »

Hedorah and the Nanotech Monster cant be killed unless by means outside most monsters control, especially the Nanotech Monster so its basically invincible

Void Ghidorah as well

And honestly controversial opinion this but I think Shin Ghidorah is more powerful than Keizer, Keizer is too sluggish and his beams are powerful but they are his main weapon other than trying to get physical

Shin Ghidorah on the other hand is fast being able to fly, it was also shown to be flexible enough to serpentine around Shin Godzilla, just like Keizer it can alter Gravity but to a far better degree not only lifting up a entire city (albeit no kaiju were lifted up) but also curving Shin Godzillas Beam by distorting gravity and the power behind its blows was shown to shatter 2 Eva's combined AT Field with relative ease and its shown to be very tough surviving Shin Godzilla's dorsal plate blast at point blank range and getting stabbed by the Spear of Longinus which in the Evangelion Universe can basically one shot any Angels it hits shattering their AT Fields and still was alive after that

So needless to say Shin Ghidorah is pretty powerful
Last edited by Scribelord on Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

The only monster i've seen defeat Ebirah is Godzilla. So by that logic Ebirah is the second most powerful monster in the series.

Scribelord
Ronin

Post by Scribelord »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:05 pm The only monster i've seen defeat Ebirah is Godzilla. So by that logic Ebirah is the second most powerful monster in the series.
I mean he was overpowering 4 monsters at once so that says alot, as for Hedorah yeah it needs electricity to kill, not many monsters have access to that, and the Nanotech Monster was only stopped by a computer virus which no Godzilla kaiju is going to be using that

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Scribelord wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:17 pm
Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:05 pm The only monster i've seen defeat Ebirah is Godzilla. So by that logic Ebirah is the second most powerful monster in the series.
I mean he was overpowering 4 monsters at once so that says alot, as for Hedorah yeah it needs electricity to kill, not many monsters have access to that, and the Nanotech Monster was only stopped by a computer virus which no Godzilla kaiju is going to be using that
Nanotech Monster? You mean MG?
For Emperor and Empire!

Scribelord
Ronin

Post by Scribelord »

Nope, there was a Nanotech Monster in Godzilla The Series

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Remember the nanites that ate oil and then went out of control?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Based purely on onscreen portrayals, it goes handily to MonsterVerse Godzilla. The main argument against him is that he's occasionally struggled against weaker Titans (Kong, MUTOs) but that was because they fought against him strategically and MV Godzilla is not the most strategic Godzilla, to be sure. But as we saw clearly, all it took was one good hit for Godzilla to put any of those lesser Titans down. After a Mothra sacrifice power boost, he also easily overpower and destroyed MV Ghidorah, who was a strong contender for this title. Not to mention, he survived the Oxygen Destroyer that skeletonized '54 Goji and blasted a hole straight to the Earth's core with his atomic ray without any substantial expenditure of energy. I'm not the biggest MV fan but I'll give the movies this: they put the "God" in "Godzilla."

If we're going by potential power, it's a tie between Showa Hedorah and Shin Godzilla, for the same reason: both were continually evolving into more powerful forms and could've easily become unstoppable if allowed to continue. In her final form seen onscreen, Hedorah easily bodied Showa Godzilla (who's no slouch) and even after being exposed to her one weakness, took a lot of effort to put down. Godzilla had to zap the shit out of her, chase her down, drag her back, zap the shit out of her again, then tear her body to pieces, and zap the shit out of those. And even then, the ending implies another Hedorah may spawn any day.

Shin Godzilla is literally referred to as a "god incarnate." Even in the peak form it reached in the film, it could level a sizable portion of Tokyo with a single atomic ray. Not to mention its phase array radar, tail beam and other attacks that no other Godzilla has possessed. Then there's the revelation that it was about to spawn an army of Goji-humanoids to fight back right when it was frozen at the end. Clearly, it can adapt to respond to any threat or obstacle. And Shin wasn't even close to its zenith. Had it been allowed to continue evolving, I think it could've made Godzilla Earth look like a pushover.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

This ain't the unpopular opinion thread, but MV Godzilla would body and big boy Shin Godzilla before it got to be the threat it could have ended up being.

I think MV Godzilla is up there, but also I think Final Goji is definitely in the discussion. Hedorah for obvious reasons as well.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Hedorah I feel like takes the cake for general potential due to it’s very nature. The mere fact it exists can render the entire planet uninhabitable and unless humanity magically stops producing industrial pollution qualities or Hedorah itself is incinerated to the last atom then it will always come back and adapt. Shin and MV Ghidorah are problematic for very similar reasons except the latter also has an intentionally malicious streak to his actions which makes his regenerative near indestructability all the more horrifying.

Added in 3 minutes 55 seconds:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:06 am Based purely on onscreen portrayals, it goes handily to MonsterVerse Godzilla. The main argument against him is that he's occasionally struggled against weaker Titans (Kong, MUTOs) but that was because they fought against him strategically and MV Godzilla is not the most strategic Godzilla, to be sure. But as we saw clearly, all it took was one good hit for Godzilla to put any of those lesser Titans down. After a Mothra sacrifice power boost, he also easily overpower and destroyed MV Ghidorah, who was a strong contender for this title. Not to mention, he survived the Oxygen Destroyer that skeletonized '54 Goji and blasted a hole straight to the Earth's core with his atomic ray without any substantial expenditure of energy. I'm not the biggest MV fan but I'll give the movies this: they put the "God" in "Godzilla."

If we're going by potential power, it's a tie between Showa Hedorah and Shin Godzilla, for the same reason: both were continually evolving into more powerful forms and could've easily become unstoppable if allowed to continue. In her final form seen onscreen, Hedorah easily bodied Showa Godzilla (who's no slouch) and even after being exposed to her one weakness, took a lot of effort to put down. Godzilla had to zap the shit out of her, chase her down, drag her back, zap the shit out of her again, then tear her body to pieces, and zap the shit out of those. And even then, the ending implies another Hedorah may spawn any day.

Shin Godzilla is literally referred to as a "god incarnate." Even in the peak form it reached in the film, it could level a sizable portion of Tokyo with a single atomic ray. Not to mention its phase array radar, tail beam and other attacks that no other Godzilla has possessed. Then there's the revelation that it was about to spawn an army of Goji-humanoids to fight back right when it was frozen at the end. Clearly, it can adapt to respond to any threat or obstacle. And Shin wasn't even close to its zenith. Had it been allowed to continue evolving, I think it could've made Godzilla Earth look like a pushover.
Not to mention he took Castle Bravo on point blank before any of his power ups and came out seemingly unaffected aside from some scorched skin perhaps. Dude is jacked lmao. He endured some of the worst things humanity and other Titans have to offer like an absolute beast and emerged on top regardless.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Armor Mothra is the strongest. Everyone else fights for second place.

...wait I already posted in this thread
Last edited by Moth on Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61: