Gigan 50th Anniversary - Crowdfunded Suit/Short Film

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Gigan 50th Anniversary - Crowdfunded Suit/Short Film

Post by Shenanigans »

Surprised no one has made a thread for this yet, but as many predicted, it would appear that Toho wants to celebrate Gigan's 50th with a short film. Unlike the Hedorah short, however, this one will feature a brand new suit - a recreation of the 1972 suit from Shinichi Wakasa. It'll also be a crowdfunded venture.

https://ubgoe.com/projects/172?token=cc ... 7126316f6a

https://astoundingbeyondbelief.tumblr.c ... 7455678464

Google translated:
Gigan, a monster that celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2022, will be featured throughout the year under the project name "Gigan 50".

Starting with the announcement of the Gigan 50 logo at Godzilla Fes 2021, various goods such as figures and apparel, screenings of past movies and TV programs where Gigan appeared, "Gigan Special Exhibition" at Nijigen Nomori, etc. We are developing from various angles. Thanks to you, following the 2021 "Hedorah 50", it has been well received by a large number of people.
We are preparing various Gigan projects to further accelerate the excitement of this Gigan 50 and reach the climax at the Godzilla Festival on November 3, 2022.

However, even if you want to create a new special effects video for Gigan or hold various events, the early Gigan suits no longer exist. There is a 2004 "Godzilla FINAL WARS" version of the Gigan suit, but although it is based on the early Gigan, the appearance design is different from the early Gigan in color and shape.

Through this project, we will revive the early Gigan suits with the fans who support us. Please support the project to liven up Gigan with the FINAL WARS version of Gigan.

The purpose of this project is to liven up Gigan together with everyone through the revival of the early non-existent Gigan suits.
The revived Gigan suit will be used for new short special effects where Gigan appears, and will be actively used together with the FINAL WARS version of the Gigan suit for various events such as greetings, high fives, and exhibitions.
As far as anyone can tell this is not some sort of April Fool's Day prank. It'll be neat to see both suits together at promotional events. And since they're asking for money for this to happen, it'd be nice if the final short film is left on Youtube for more than a few days.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Re: Gigan 50th Anniversary - Crowdfunded Suit/Short Film

Post by imposterzilla »

Both Gigans huh?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Nice, very nice. Happy to see Toho continuing to celebrate each kaiju's anniversary. Can't wait to see both Showa & FW Gigan side-by-side. :Gigan: :Gigan:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Just seems weird they want to crowd fund it.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

imposterzilla wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:14 pm Just seems weird they want to crowd fund it.
It looks really cheap, but it's also a good way to gauge what kind of money people are willing to pay to support new Showa-adjacent material.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Well, less than a day into a two month campaign and it's already about a quarter of the way there, so I imagine we'll be seeing this suit after all.

I say the short film should be Gigan 2004 battling Gigan 1972. He's a cyborg, you can have two of them at once.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

So are there rewards ? Also.makes me wonder if old Gigan gets upgraded after round one or it's a battle royale with both forms?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

That’s cool. I assume the crowdfunding is only open to Japan residents?

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

The showa design rulez!
Last edited by Gailah 1966 on Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Trying to see if I can pitch in, but hard to navigate the site via Google translate.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

If anybody stateside can chip in, please share, I have no idea if its a Japan-only thing or not.

35% now, BTW.
imposterzilla wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:36 pm So are there rewards ? Also.makes me wonder if old Gigan gets upgraded after round one or it's a battle royale with both forms?
There are rewards like Kickstarter. Small rewards are keychains and t-shirts, larger ones are blu-rays and an X-Plus figure.

Also, to clarify again, they didn't say both suits were going to be in the short film, just that both would appear together for promotional events. Though I want to believe they'll end up throwing the two together in the short anyway.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Since when does the biggest film producer/distributor in Japan need to crowdfund in order to create a monster suit?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:39 pm Since when does the biggest film producer/distributor in Japan need to crowdfund in order to create a monster suit?
Right? At least you can get rewards for pitching in...
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

I'd like to think it may be at least in-part to help gauge interest in more Showa series-related content - or more tokusatsu Godzilla content in general - but let's be real, its probably just because they're just cheap as hell.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Makes me wonder if next year there will be anniversary celebration for Megalon.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:48 pm Makes me wonder if next year there will be anniversary celebration for Megalon.
All I know is that MG’s 50th will be nuts, which is coincidentally Godzilla’s 70th.
For Emperor and Empire!

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

Seeing the two designs side by side like that really solidifies that the original is my favourite. I love 2004 Gigan but you can't beat the original, can't wait to see them remake the suit! Also, as others have said, if anyone figures out a way for foreigners to participate in the crowdfunding please post the steps here! :Gigan:
Last edited by PuzzledAmphibian on Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

With only 3 weeks to go, the campaign remains hovering around the 50% mark as it has been for a couple weeks or so, I think. Probably going to be a big push towards the end, as is always the case with these things, buuuut I think its safe to say it ain't going the distance. Started off so promising, too, but it isn't over yet; whatever they do raise will go towards funding the suit, apparently, so hopefully it'll end up being a solid amount regardless of meeting the goal.

In retrospect, the starting goal was way too high, but the lack of really any promotion for this thing certainly didn't help.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

This is such a crock of shit. Toho, who has proven time and again that they couldn't give a rats ass about their fans AND is one of the biggest film and distribution studios in Japan, is crowdfunding a monster suit that they are then going to use to their own benefit in promotions and in a short film that they are no doubt going to make bank with merchandise.

The whole thing is kind of gross. And it speaks volumes about this fandom that people are so willing to throw money at this.

It's probably not going to make its goal anyway.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu May 12, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:34 pm and in a short film that they are no doubt going to make bank with merchandise.
And scrub the video off their online channels a week after it premieres, just like the Godzilla vs. Hedorah short! Makes no sense, and yet at the same time is not unexpected.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock