Gigan 50th Anniversary - Crowdfunded Suit/Short Film

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Re: Gigan 50th Anniversary - Crowdfunded Suit/Short Film

Post by Shenanigans »

So, in the end, looks like the campaign ended up coming in at around 76% funded. Given the lack of promotion, I'm honestly surprised it was that much.

Haven't seen any details as to when we can expect to hear any updates on actually seeing the suit, but it'd be nice if they could share updates during its construction, maybe see a little bit of what goes into making such a suit. But its probably much more likely that the next update on anything will be seeing the completed suit later this year. Regardless, looking forward to seeing what they do with it, still crossing my fingers for both Gigans in a short film.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I still can't understand why they would crowdfund this. They clearly have the capital to make a suit. I wish the fans wouldn't have gone along with it, but whatever.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

shadowgigan wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:44 am I still can't understand why they would crowdfund this. They clearly have the capital to make a suit. I wish the fans wouldn't have gone along with it, but whatever.
Yup. I know that I'm repeating myself but it's such bullshit and I wish fans were smart enough to not be eager to throw money at Toho like that. They're were going to get fans to pay for the construction of a suit that they could easily afford to build themselves and then they were going to use it for things clearly meant to make themselves some money.

And merchandise. Because lord knows there isn't enough of THAT.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^So you're saying you're opposed to a a crowdfunded fan-made Godzilla project?

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:00 pm ^So you're saying you're opposed to a a crowdfunded fan-made Godzilla project?
This isn't a fan-made project though, this was run by Toho directly. Crowd-funded ventures are usually good and started with the best of intentions, but its difficult to deny that this was not exactly proper application of the idea behind crowdfunding, to say the least.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:00 pm ^So you're saying you're opposed to a a crowdfunded fan-made Godzilla project?
This is not a fan project. Toho themselves are making this suit. They could very easily pay for it themselves, it's a drop in the bucket for them, but instead they're making the fans pay for it, and they will then go on to use the suit to make money. This is a very cheap, slimy business practice, and not something we should encourage. We let them get away with this, and they'll start trying to crowdfund everything.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:05 am
And merchandise. Because lord knows there isn't enough of THAT.
I think the market is becoming saturated as well. Just how much of this stuff can they sell? I’m not sure I even want to know the answer. Then again, I’m a huge hypocrite for saying this, as I’ve spent WAY too much money on mercy. But just look at the amount of releases that came out in the last month, it’s getting crazy lol. I am glad to see it but at the same time I can’t help but think it’s getting excessive. To me, this Gigan fiasco kind of illustrates that. Toho says jump and the fans ask how high.

Added in 1 minute 42 seconds:
I 100% support this but Toho would never let it happen. Personally, I think it’s a bit ridiculous, but they have their legal reasons, which I think are actually valid. Unfortunately. Not an expert on IP though.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I remember when it was easy to keep track of what was out there. But with Toho having whored Godzilla out to every American company that wants to license him (Mondo, Playmates, Mezco, Super7...) there's just too much stuff out there now. Even Bandai Japan is pumping out vinyls at a pace that's difficult to keep up with. It's always been just about the money with Toho but year by year its become clear their insistance on really pushing Godzilla internationally has really just been about the merchandise.

Maybe I'd feel differently if Toho was still doing live action films on a regular basis and I felt we were getting REAL Godzilla media out of Japan again. But these days it just feel like it's merch first, everything else second.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

He Jock it Made of Steel

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:21 am I remember when it was easy to keep track of what was out there. But with Toho having whored Godzilla out to every American company that wants to license him (Mondo, Playmates, Mezco, Super7...) there's just too much stuff out there now. Even Bandai Japan is pumping out vinyls at a pace that's difficult to keep up with. It's always been just about the money with Toho but year by year its become clear their insistance on really pushing Godzilla internationally has really just been about the merchandise.

Maybe I'd feel differently if Toho was still doing live action films on a regular basis and I felt we were getting REAL Godzilla media out of Japan again. But these days it just feel like it's merch first, everything else second.
Exactly this!
And I wonder why is no other japanese movie company taking the chance and doing kaiju movies. I mean there is no competitor on the local market right now. Even if there would be a completely new franchise if it´s done well it could rule the world (kaiju cinematic world)
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:21 am It's always been just about the money with Toho but year by year its become clear their insistance on really pushing Godzilla internationally has really just been about the merchandise.

I absolutely agree. Toho seems to be building Godzilla up as a brand aggressively, slapping him onto coffee, gatcha games, and oh my god how many expensive collectibles. And tbh, maybe this is my broke college student side talking, but pretty much everything they're marketing is "premium." Those Hawaiian shirts at Zumiez? Like 60 bucks a pop.
I'm sure they're making enough cheddar cheese off licensed products that they can afford to crank out a nice half hour Godzilla vs Gigan special with suits and miniatures without wringing more dollars out of fans' pockets.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:42 am
Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:21 am It's always been just about the money with Toho but year by year its become clear their insistance on really pushing Godzilla internationally has really just been about the merchandise.

I absolutely agree. Toho seems to be building Godzilla up as a brand aggressively, slapping him onto coffee, gatcha games, and oh my god how many expensive collectibles. And tbh, maybe this is my broke college student side talking, but pretty much everything they're marketing is "premium." Those Hawaiian shirts at Zumiez? Like 60 bucks a pop.
I'm sure they're making enough cheddar cheese off licensed products that they can afford to crank out a nice half hour Godzilla vs Gigan special with suits and miniatures without wringing more dollars out of fans' pockets.
I feel the exact same way. And then you have the intentional scarcity with some items, making them impossible to get. I definitely think the market is becoming saturated.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Gailah 1966 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:01 am Exactly this!
And I wonder why is no other japanese movie company taking the chance and doing kaiju movies. I mean there is no competitor on the local market right now. Even if there would be a completely new franchise if it´s done well it could rule the world (kaiju cinematic world)
That's a pretty valid question actually. The only company still doing kaiju stuff on a regular basis is Tsuburaya with Ultraman and even in their shows the focus is less and less on the kaijus and their stories actually.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Think about what we're actually getting with Godzilla and it's pretty obvious why we're not swimming in other Japanese monster films.

Shin Godzilla was a very special case because it was something more than just a monster film. After that we got three absolutely terrible animated Godzilla films and not much else unless you count SP, which is it's own thing anyway since it was a TV show and, again, entirely animated. There doesnt really seem to be much incentive for studios to just start doing kaiju movies again.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

Wow I feel embarrassed for my enthusiasm over this crowdfunding effort on the first page of this thread after reading other responses. Not only is Toho the largest Japanese film studio but they are also managed by Hankyu Hanshin Holdings which owns large amounts of real estate and transportation services in Japan, and has their hands in a little bit of everything. Needless to say Toho has near infinite money to play with and asking for donations to build a inexpensive (for them) suit seems a little stingy. I know the first page says that you get some perks depending on how much you donate... But for a company with so much money at play isn't that just the same as putting money aside from profits to fund new projects anyway? I am probably overthinking it at this point.
I guess I am mostly concerned over the idea that this could be used to gauge interest. It would be different if Toho was now some niche studio. So if a project like this doesn't meet a goal does a large company decide the idea is not worth it? Something something risk aversion...

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Could crowdfunding be used to acquire the rights to Godzilla for a fan-project if people were bold enough to spend millions?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I think its hilarious that Toho was going to take fan money, make a suit and then get Xplus to make a figure out of it that fans could also spend money on.

Good old Toho. Almost makes me wish they had an S or Y in their name so I could spell it with a $ or a ¥.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

PuzzledAmphibian wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:57 am Wow I feel embarrassed for my enthusiasm over this crowdfunding effort on the first page of this thread after reading other responses.
To be fair, it was cool and exciting news. I think all of us were hyped for the idea itself. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Added in 52 seconds:
Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:12 pm I think its hilarious that Toho was going to take fan money, make a suit and then get Xplus to make a figure out of it that fans could also spend money on.

Good old Toho. Almost makes me wish they had an S or Y in their name so I could spell it with a $ or a ¥.
It's so incredibly greedy that it's almost inspirational.

Added in 1 minute 10 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:45 am Could crowdfunding be used to acquire the rights to Godzilla for a fan-project if people were bold enough to spend millions?
If I understand your question correctly, no. You'd have to buy the license from Toho.

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:39 am
PuzzledAmphibian wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:57 am Wow I feel embarrassed for my enthusiasm over this crowdfunding effort on the first page of this thread after reading other responses.
To be fair, it was cool and exciting news. I think all of us were hyped for the idea itself. Nothing to be embarrassed about.
Thanks lol. I think I am so starved for Godzilla cinema done with the classic style of suitmation and miniatures that I was ready and willing to fork over money. So yeah I guess that's what they were kind of trying to take advantage of from all of us.
Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:12 pm I think its hilarious that Toho was going to take fan money, make a suit and then get Xplus to make a figure out of it that fans could also spend money on.

lmao
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:45 am Could crowdfunding be used to acquire the rights to Godzilla for a fan-project if people were bold enough to spend millions?
If I understand your question correctly, no. You'd have to buy the license from Toho.
Technically if one raised enough millions they might theoretically acquire the license from Toho. Then they would be subject to all the Toho rules and regulations and in a way it would cease being a "fan-project" the moment it was officially licensed.
Last edited by PuzzledAmphibian on Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

PuzzledAmphibian wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:56 pm
Thanks lol. I think I am so starved for Godzilla cinema done with the classic style of suitmation and miniatures that I was ready and willing to fork over money. So yeah I guess that's what they were kind of trying to take advantage of from all of us.

lmao
Technically if one raised enough millions they might theoretically acquire the license from Toho. Then they would be subject to all the Toho rules and regulations and in a way it would cease being a "fan-project" the moment it was officially licensed.
Considering how weird with Godzilla has gotten in recent years, Toho’s rules and regulations would be the least of one’s worries.