Gigan 50th Anniversary - Crowdfunded Suit/Short Film

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
G-Matt
Futurian

Re: Gigan 50th Anniversary - Crowdfunded Suit/Short Film

Post by G-Matt »

We have another trailer! :)

G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

I loved the detail of Godzilla bleeding, this looks awesome!
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

The nighttime setting is really making the fight shine!
Formerly known as kurtzilla

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

This looks so fun!!

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Just going to come out and say it - that trailer is sexy AF. Just imagine a whole series of shorts like this...

Godzilla looks better here than in last year's short, though that could very well be because we're seeing it at night instead of day, lol. Everything about this one is already a step up from last year's short. Gorgeous.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

G-Matt wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:53 am We have another trailer! :)

I wonder how this will affect the fantasy matches :eh:

In all seriousness, looks fun!
For Emperor and Empire!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Shenanigans wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:19 pm
Thatguy4683 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:00 pm Is this gonna be like Godzilla vs Hedorah Situation like they upload a video and then make it private shortly after
I would certainly hope not given that its crowdfunded. Funnily enough, the first thing I did when the Godzilla vs. Hedorah short dropped was download it. I wasn't expecting them to remove it, but I like to save short videos like that. Glad I did...
Was also the first thing that I did too. Unfortunately the laptop I had it saved on broke last week so no telling when or if I'll get to watch it again. Was a pretty good little action piece for such a short bit of film, if this turns out anything like that it'll be pretty good.

Added in 7 minutes 37 seconds:
G-Matt wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:53 am We have another trailer! :)

Well I'm hyped. Some of the action looks a bit slow (Gigan's slashes at big G), but that's just a nitpick. Looking forward to seeing this.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

The Gigan suit is making the rounds at Godzilla Fest. AND HES FIGHTING CHIBI GODZILLA

Pretty sick, though undeniably a little... stumpy? I'm sure it'll look better in the dark short film. Only a few hours before that drops (I assume)!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I met Kazuhiro Nakagawa at G-Fest 2017, his work on Ultraman shows and the Hedorah short blow me away. Can't wait to see Gigan in action, the production looks to be even better. There's this shot from the trailer from the perspective of an office building that I've seen in his directed work before, it's quite immersive.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

This will premiere in one hour and thirty mins. Also I just started Godzilla vs Gigan. I’m going to watch it right before the new short film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Just finished in the live stream. It was much better than last year. Gigan looked great, Godzilla not so much but it was their best fight imo.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

This was pretty good! It was longer than last years short, with a bit more action and back and forth. Gigan finally gets his laser! The miniature destruction was fun, and Gigan is certainly a force to be reckoned with! Also, this was technically linked to Godzilla vs Hedorah 2021, so now we have a little shared universe of sorts!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

My brother brought up a good point. He likes how this mini fights are in a way probably the last of Godzilla's suitmation. We're likely going to be all Cgi from here on out so it's nice getting this last tidbits of the old era.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Does anyone have a link to the short? I went straight from work to the gym last night so I totally missed the party
Edit: I found it! Will post thoughts in a minute

Ok, that was an official hoo-banger. Wow. The Hedorah short was good but this was so much fun. All the hallmarks of good Ultra action from recent years but so authentically Godzilla! Next year is gonna be Megalon, huh? Maybe Gigan will come back for that one.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Oh, wow! That was really cool for what it was! Gigan was brutal and intimidating, but kept some of his goofy incompetence intact at appropriate times. I loved that shot that tracked through the office building with furniture bouncing around. And Godzilla's victory roar was an all-time great.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Definitely better than the awesome Hedorah short

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Of the two shorts today, I found this one the better of the two. While not as bombastic as the CGI short, I found the hints of personality and choreography more engaging than the over the top fight sequences of the other. Definitely a large step up over the Hedorah vs. and I'm excited for Megalon or Jet Jaguar's return next year.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Has Toho posted this to YouTube? I found someone else’s upload but I’d prefer to watch the official upload first but I can’t find it.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Greyshot151 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:40 am Of the two shorts today, I found this one the better of the two. While not as bombastic as the CGI short, I found the hints of personality and choreography more engaging than the over the top fight sequences of the other. Definitely a large step up over the Hedorah vs. and I'm excited for Megalon or Jet Jaguar's return next year.
I was about to say the same thing. There's certainly a charm to what the other one is doing, but it almost comes off as a tad bit pretentious with its classical music and "serious" presentation. This one reminds me of why I love this genre, its simply just fun, and when done well can be legitimately exciting while bringing out that sense of inner child. Gigan Rex isn't bad, but this one just clicks more for me (and blows vs. Hedorah out of the water too).
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Delightful! Having just watched both short films I'm wondering which one I prefer. The CGI short had more ambitious visual ideas, and I loved things like how the buildings looked when they were split into pieces, but overall I have to say the charm of the traditional tokusatsu plus the characterization of Gigan (he's a jerk!) puts that one on top.