Varan, Gorath, Dogora, and Space Amoeba on Toho Blu Ray

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
KaijusHunter
Samurai

Re: Varan, Gorath, Dogora, and Space Amoeba on Toho Blu Ray

Post by KaijusHunter »

Prove me wrong, but I believe Arrow only dealed with Toho once, for the Blu-Ray release of the Bloodthirsty Trilogy. Strange, as their catalogue includes several movies from Toei, Nikkatsu, etc. But Toho is the studio that is the most noticeably absent from everything they've put out so far in terms of Japanese cinema. That might gives an idea on how difficult it is to work with them.
Last edited by KaijusHunter on Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“For the next 30 minutes, you'll experience a parting of mind from body and become swallowed into this mysterious time.”

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

KaijusHunter wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:09 pm Prove me wrong, but I believe Arrow only dealed with Toho once, for the Blu-Ray release of the Bloodthirsty Trilogy. Strange, as their catalogue includes several movies from Toei, Nikkatsu, etc. But Toho is the studio that is the most noticeably absent from everything they've put out so far in terms of Japanese cinema. That might gives an idea on how difficult it is to work with them.
James Flower from Arrow straight up said they were difficult to work with during an interview around the time the Gamera set was coming out.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:57 pm I do like that toho is giving love to Underappreciated Kaiju
I never thought I'd see a couple of these titles see a Blu-ray release. Sometimes I think Toho dislikes Varan.

John Schuermann
Samurai

Post by John Schuermann »

For those consumed with curiosity: just got the new Toho Blu-ray release of Varan, Gorath, Dogora, and Space Amoeba (aka Yog). Gorath, Dogora and Space Amoeba look really good, Varan looks like s**t.

So three out of four ain't bad considering the reasonable price of the 2 Blu-ray set.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

John Schuermann wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:03 pm For those consumed with curiosity: just got the new Toho Blu-ray release of Varan, Gorath, Dogora, and Space Amoeba (aka Yog). Gorath, Dogora and Space Amoeba look really good, Varan looks like s**t.

So three out of four ain't bad considering the reasonable price of the 2 Blu-ray set.

(Do people still listen to Meat Loaf?)

The Killer Meteor
Yojimbo

Post by The Killer Meteor »

John Schuermann wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:03 pm For those consumed with curiosity: just got the new Toho Blu-ray release of Varan, Gorath, Dogora, and Space Amoeba (aka Yog). Gorath, Dogora and Space Amoeba look really good, Varan looks like s**t.

Do you the print for Varan looks bad, or the transfer?

John Schuermann
Samurai

The Killer Meteor wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:57 pm

The print is awful, full of scratches and dirt. The others are clean, so this is surprising.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

John Schuermann wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:58 pm
The Killer Meteor wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:57 pm

The print is awful, full of scratches and dirt. The others are clean, so this is surprising.
Sounds like it just a little worse off than Godzilla Raids Again.

John Schuermann
Samurai

If you add the blurriness that comes with cropping a 4:3 film frame to Scope, yes. So actually, it's worse.

The others look like quite good. Not 4K restoration good, but good quality transfers for films of this vintage. Much better than the HiVision disasters.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

I could dig a blu ray of Varan.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

John Schuermann wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:59 pm If you add the blurriness that comes with cropping a 4:3 film frame to Scope, yes. So actually, it's worse.
Wait, they cropped Varan to Scope? Now I'm racking my brain to remember if the Media Blasters DVD is scope too. I don't remember it being so. What a bonehead move.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:23 am
John Schuermann wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:59 pm If you add the blurriness that comes with cropping a 4:3 film frame to Scope, yes. So actually, it's worse.
Wait, they cropped Varan to Scope? Now I'm racking my brain to remember if the Media Blasters DVD is scope too. I don't remember it being so. What a bonehead move.
Not the whole movie. They began shooting in Standard, but part-way through decided to aim for a Japanese theatrical release, so they shot the remainder in Scope, cropped the stuff they'd already shot, and labeled the process "Toho Pan-Scope." That's why some of the effects shots have Varan's head outside the frame.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It seems that it was similar to RKO's "Superscope" process, the similarities to which were detailed in this invaluable CHFB post.

The trailers on this BD release are framed for 2.35:1 (the traditional Scope ratio). While it appears to be heavily windowboxed, it's actually because the black bars at the sides of the frame are part of the film itself. The reason why is described and illustrated in the linked forum post, but to quote the Widescreen Museum's Superscope entry: "A black band was printed onto the right side of the image since the full available width, used by CinemaScope, was not utilized." Crop the trailer so that all the black bars (digital and filmic) are removed and the ratio is ~2.16 -- only slightly wider than the 2.1 Superscope ratio.

Here's a screenshot from the trailer where scratches on the emulsion are actually visible (if only slightly) on the these bands, at right down by the Eirin badge and as a speck at left (about even with the kanji text across the screen). You should probably right click and open the image in a new tab at full resolution to see it better, because it's pretty small damage.

Resized Image

You can also see it in this export trailer (also from the new BD): notice first of all that the TohoScope logo is wider than any of the Varan footage; and notice that the glue marks at visible across the entire frame, even the bands at either side.

(Small gallery of trailer screens.) Apparently this Blu-ray frames the movie at closer to 2.35, but if it's like the DVD transfer, it's done by extra cropping and stretching to achieve that result.

Media Blasters' Latitude Zero DVD had SFX outtakes from multiple films, including Varan in Academy Ratio:

Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

SY3
Young Farmer

Post by SY3 »

Does anyone know where those outtakes on the Media Blasters' Latitude Zero DVD originated from? I assume they must have been on a Toho DVD first before Media Blasters got them. It's surprising to me that the Varan outtake footage isn't on either the Varan DVD or the Varan blu-ray that Toho released.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

SY3 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:17 pm Does anyone know where those outtakes on the Media Blasters' Latitude Zero DVD originated from? I assume they must have been on a Toho DVD first before Media Blasters got them. It's surprising to me that the Varan outtake footage isn't on either the Varan DVD or the Varan blu-ray that Toho released.
I'm sure the outtake montage was pulled from Toho's LZ DVD release, which came before.
Last edited by G-Matt on Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Will this be released in America?
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:36 am Will this be released in America?
Nope.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Once again Varan gets fucked.

John Schuermann
Samurai

Malchik wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:18 pm

Once again Varan gets fucked.
On camera, too. Shocking.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

John Schuermann wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:11 pm
Malchik wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:18 pm Once again Varan gets fucked.
On camera, too. Shocking.
Look, if Toho won't hire him anymore, he's got to get paid somehow. Times are tough for everyone. Don't judge.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio