Varan, Gorath, Dogora, and Space Amoeba on Toho Blu Ray

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Varan, Gorath, Dogora, and Space Amoeba on Toho Blu Ray

Post by GodzillaFan1996 »

I have seen that these four films are being bundled together as a Blu ray Pack by Toho.
More info here https://www.facebook.com/KaijuProductio ... 9300793621

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Varan, Gorath, Dogora, and Space Amoeba on Toho Blu Ray

Post by mikelcho »

That's, uh, that's an...interesting combination, to say the least.

I hope Arrow Video U.S. can get it to this country so I can upgrade three of the films and finally get Gorath officially on home video.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Friends don't lie.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:23 pm That's, uh, that's an...interesting combination, to say the least.

I hope Arrow Video U.S. can get it to this country so I can upgrade three of the films and finally get Gorath officially on home video.
You and me both, man.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Gunhead as well,
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

They better give this set a North American release.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:06 pm They better give this set a North American release.
Why would they? They kind if thing doesnt happen. Toho has released blurays of several films that have never been released on the same format here. Why would that change now?

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:18 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:06 pm They better give this set a North American release.
Why would they? They kind if thing doesnt happen. Toho has released blurays of several films that have never been released on the same format here. Why would that change now?
Plus the US version of Gorath is owned by Columbia Tristar, which is owned by Sony. Unless Arrow sublicenses to Sony, you would not see Gorath in an Arrow video equivalent.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I do like that toho is giving love to Underappreciated Kaiju

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:44 pm Gunhead as well,
Yep, and here's the Amazon listing:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/%E9%AB%98 ... 7zqqkqxps8

Personally, I might be a bit more excited about this release, simply because it has a rare alternate TV cut.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Weird but nice seeing Gorath get some love. Hope it gets a US release at some time.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

darthzilla99 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:50 pm Plus the US version of Gorath is owned by Columbia Tristar, which is owned by Sony. Unless Arrow sublicenses to Sony, you would not see Gorath in an Arrow video equivalent.
Gorath is owned by MGM, not Sony. Interestingly enough, the American version was being shown on Comet TV in its early days, only 7 or so years ago.
Last edited by goji1986 on Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:57 pm I do like that toho is giving love to Underappreciated Kaiju
...but not to underappreciated fans.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:18 pm
One can only hope...

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:49 am
Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:57 pm I do like that toho is giving love to Underappreciated Kaiju
...but not to underappreciated fans.
But its not Toho's job to release these here. A company would have to be interested, and the Gorath rights would have to be sorted out.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I'm just glad I'll be able to get access to a new Gorath. My previous download is horrible, looks like a VHS transfer.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The problem is there's no english subtitles. I have a region free bluray player but I can't imagine ever buying this if I can't understand the movie.
Last edited by Spuro on Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Spuro wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:58 pm The problem is there's no english subtitles. I have a region free bluray player but I can't imagine ever buying this if I can't understand the movie.
You don’t need a region free player for japanese Blu-ray’s if you’re in the US. Japan and the US are the same region.

Also, while not ideal, the lack of subs is not an insurmountable problem like it once seemed. These days there’s plenty of free software that can rip subtitle tracks from one video source and add them to another. The only issue is making sure the timing of the subs lines up with the new video stream. That can be time consuming but it isn’t difficult.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

goji1986 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:42 am
darthzilla99 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:50 pm Plus the US version of Gorath is owned by Columbia Tristar, which is owned by Sony. Unless Arrow sublicenses to Sony, you would not see Gorath in an Arrow video equivalent.
Gorath is owned by MGM, not Sony. Interestingly enough, the American version was being shown on Comet TV in its early days, only 7 or so years ago.
Does this mean Amazon owns it now?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

After what an amazing job Arrow did on the Gamera set. I have little doubt they would do all they could to track down all the differing english dubs and cuts of these films, and different prints, but Toho Probably wouldn't allow it, so I'm fine with the existing Media Blasters DVDs even though they are getting pretty old, they play fine. Also I have a great copy of both the dub, and Japanese w/subs of Gorath. Seeing a completely clean and restored version of the U.S. cut of Varan the Unbelievable would be quite an attention grabber, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist anymore.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!