Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Sequel

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:55 pm That's...not real, right?
The artwork for the Kotm post was released in 2017 and confirmed to be real concept artwork after film came put in 2019.

Covid pushed Godzilla vs Kong back 2 years and if this was a leak DAM might be the 2024 film. This poster leak and what we heard about the orginal Godzilla vs Kong ending are starting to line up.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

It's possible DAM might be off the table for the time being, with the way time table's been thrown off, assuming this is real.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I’m pretty sure that wasn’t legit. Would be very surprised if it was.

That being said, I’ve stated repeatedly that the only way the GA will be interested in another film to the level of GvK is a DAM styled monster war or a Death of Godzilla movie. That later one might not even draw a lot of people in actually.
Last edited by king_ghidorah on Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

That thing was real.

That's an upcoming slate image that was used in articles introducing the Monsterverse in time for the opening of KSI in China in 2017. Given that the contents of the article were almost the same, it must have been distributed as a press release.

Back then, everyone thought the Chinese branch made it with fan-made posters. No one was really hyped about this "upcoming slate".

However, it was included in the art book in 2019 and Michael Douherty posted it on Twitter, revealing that KOTM's poster was an official artwork. So it's natural to wonder if DAM was also an official concept.

It's the biggest mystery MV ever had.

And if it was really a plan that was going on all the time, we can suspect that this "Godzilla vs. Kong 2" movie might be the DAM-style movie.
Last edited by vastatosaurus on Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

vastatosaurus wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:37 pm That thing was real.

That's an upcoming slate image that was used in articles introducing the Monsterverse in time for the opening of KSI in China in 2017. Given that the contents of the article were almost the same, it must have been distributed as a press release.

Back then, everyone thought the Chinese branch made it with fan-made posters. No one was really hyped about this "upcoming slate".

However, it was included in the art book in 2019 and Michael Douherty posted it on Twitter, revealing that KOTM's poster was an official artwork. So it's natural to wonder if DAM was also an official concept.

And if it was really a plan that was going on all the time, we can suspect that this "Godzilla vs. Kong 2" movie might be the DAM-style movie.
I didn’t expect that at all, very interesting.

The synopsis of the upcoming film seems more like a lead-up to a monster mash rather than the main event, so maybe plans shifted post-GvK success? Of course, they could be holding back details until we get closer to the release date.
Last edited by kaijukurt on Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

kaijukurt wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:27 pm
vastatosaurus wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:37 pm That thing was real.

I didn’t expect that at all, very interesting.

The synopsis of the upcoming film seems more like a lead-up to a monster mash rather than the main event, so maybe plans shifted post-GvK success? Of course, they could be holding back details until we get closer to the release date.
Going off the previous report about the Godzilla vs Kong ending changing and what the orginal ending was I feel they're going to try this film and then DAM as the finale.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:50 pm Going off the previous report about the Godzilla vs Kong ending changing and what the orginal ending was I feel they're going to try this film and then DAM as the finale.
I can definitely see this happening.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm not sure if it really matters if the poster leak was real or not. I'm pretty sure when Godzilla (2014) came out, Gareth Edwards stated that he'd like someday to make a Destroy All Monsters type film. Godzilla vs. Kong was known/an eventuality from the beginning, the instant the Monsterverse was created. People have been speculating for years that DAM, or something very similar to it would happen at some point.

In any case, a substantial roster of monsters exist on screen, and are presumably alive:

Godzilla
King Kong
Mothra (not shown, but it's said there's an egg)
Rodan
Behemoth
Scylla
Muto Queen
Methuselah
Add the Skull Crawlers+War Bats+a new monster and you've got more than enough monsters to feel satisfying without even having to use some of the comic creations.

A nice twist on the film might be that Kong is the only monster that isn't under the control of aliens or something.

Granted, we also know that the movie is heavily switching up. We know that KOTM originally ended very differently, and we now have ideas of "Origins"+"Son of Kong". Perhaps DAM will come later, or maybe all of these elements will be mushed together. Whatever the case, it's not rocket science to speculate or guess these things.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:22 pm We know that KOTM originally ended very differently, and we now have ideas of "Origins"+"Son of Kong". Perhaps DAM will come later, or maybe all of these elements will be mushed together. Whatever the case, it's not rocket science to speculate or guess these things.
Is this referring to the axed Mothra egg post-credits scene or something else in the drafts?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

kaijukurt wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:45 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:22 pm We know that KOTM originally ended very differently, and we now have ideas of "Origins"+"Son of Kong". Perhaps DAM will come later, or maybe all of these elements will be mushed together. Whatever the case, it's not rocket science to speculate or guess these things.
Is this referring to the axed Mothra egg post-credits scene or something else in the drafts?
Both, but also Godzilla vs. Kong originally doing more with the Orca. IIRC originally the Orca was used to lure the monsters back into hibernation.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gojirafan2013
Ronin

Post by Gojirafan2013 »

A year ago, a YouTuber named Kaiju Network did a three part collab series with another YouTuber to discuss everything that was cut from GVK. In Part 2, they played footage of a behind the scenes video that shows an alternate set for the Kong temple.

And take a guess what is shown in the clip….one of the Kong statues from the concept art of the mural from the GVK artbook!

Go to 12:34 in the behind the scenes video (GODZILLA VS. KONG (2021) | Behind the Scenes of Monster Movie) and you’ll see for a few seconds.

Judging by the footage, it seems like the alternate throne room made it past the concept art stage and was going to be in the film, but was probably cut and reshot due to Legendary wanting to see how the movie would do in the landscape of a pandemic before continuing the MonsterVerse.

There is even an unused track called “The Mural,” which presumably would’ve played during the scene where Kong and the human characters discover the mural shown in the concept art I mentioned above.

Search up “‘The Mural’ Godzilla vs Kong Unreleased OST” on Landry Miller’s channel.

Maybe the filmmakers originally planned on including the mural to tease the next film, where Godzilla and Kong will be pitted against a “colossal, undiscovered threat hidden beneath our world,” a threat that may in fact be the flying creature fighting Godzilla and Kong’s ancestors.

But since GVK kept getting pushed back and was going to be released during the pandemic, Legendary decided to cut it out of the film in order to make sure the film did well at the box office. I also suspect that the studio wanted the movie to be shorter and easier for general audiences to take in.

And teasing another monster on an ancient mural would probably take away from Mechagodzilla’s role as the antagonist in the third act.

But since Adam Wingard and Terry Rossio are returning for the next MonsterVerse film, I think there’s a very good chance that we’ll learn more about the Titan War and possibly even see the flying creature.

What do you all think?

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

Gojirafan2013 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:50 am A year ago, a YouTuber named Kaiju Network did a three part collab series with another YouTuber to discuss everything that was cut from GVK. In Part 2, they played footage of a behind the scenes video that shows an alternate set for the Kong temple.

And take a guess what is shown in the clip….one of the Kong statues from the concept art of the mural from the GVK artbook!

Go to 12:34 in the behind the scenes video (GODZILLA VS. KONG (2021) | Behind the Scenes of Monster Movie) and you’ll see for a few seconds.

Judging by the footage, it seems like the alternate throne room made it past the concept art stage and was going to be in the film, but was probably cut and reshot due to Legendary wanting to see how the movie would do in the landscape of a pandemic before continuing the MonsterVerse.

There is even an unused track called “The Mural,” which presumably would’ve played during the scene where Kong and the human characters discover the mural shown in the concept art I mentioned above.

Search up “‘The Mural’ Godzilla vs Kong Unreleased OST” on Landry Miller’s channel.

Maybe the filmmakers originally planned on including the mural to tease the next film, where Godzilla and Kong will be pitted against a “colossal, undiscovered threat hidden beneath our world,” a threat that may in fact be the flying creature fighting Godzilla and Kong’s ancestors.

But since GVK kept getting pushed back and was going to be released during the pandemic, Legendary decided to cut it out of the film in order to make sure the film did well at the box office. I also suspect that the studio wanted the movie to be shorter and easier for general audiences to take in.

And teasing another monster on an ancient mural would probably take away from Mechagodzilla’s role as the antagonist in the third act.

But since Adam Wingard and Terry Rossio are returning for the next MonsterVerse film, I think there’s a very good chance that we’ll learn more about the Titan War and possibly even see the flying creature.

What do you all think?
Makes sense.

Gojirafan2013
Ronin

Post by Gojirafan2013 »

Sammy19 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:35 am
Gojirafan2013 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:50 am A year ago, a YouTuber named Kaiju Network did a three part collab series with another YouTuber to discuss everything that was cut from GVK. In Part 2, they played footage of a behind the scenes video that shows an alternate set for the Kong temple.

What do you all think?
Makes sense.
I agree. I think the mural does have some significance, even if we aren’t 100% sure what it could be.

Now, since the mural was cut from the movie, we don’t know if it will be discovered by Kong and the humans in some other part of the temple. But that doesn’t mean we won’t learn about the flying creature and what went down during the Titan War in some other way. Maybe the mural will be in another temple, or maybe we’ll see an ancient battlefield filled with the remains of Godzilla and Kong’s ancestors. The Hollow Earth is massive after all.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

I think the mural scene is also the source of the cut dialogue: "There was a war...and they're the last ones standing" from the trailers.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

I have to admit, I wasn’t even aware that there were leaks about a DAM film back in 2017. This is certainly an interesting thing to learn about. I’m guessing the setup for the fifth film was cut from GvK after KotM came out, since the future of the MonsterVerse was pretty uncertain at that point (remember, GvK finished filming before KotM was released).

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Just for a bit of fun, who would like to see Kong get drunk and maybe even have a funny fight scene where he goes drunken monkey? The reason I mention is he could discover giant jars in the temple and even sees the berries used in these jars. Also we could see harvesting these berries. Maybe have a funny sign language exchange with Jia. I could see him signing to her that she's too young to drink the juice. It would be another KKvG easter egg.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Imagine the Flying Godzilla creature in the opening page of (I believe it was the GvK or KOTM art book) is actually some kind of genetic abomination between Ghidorah and Godzilla. This time instead of a mechanical method to combining the two, it’s a living breathing creature.

Only issue would be Ghidorah being quite played out by this point.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I'd rather them not even mention Ghidorah in this sequel, time to move on to something new and further explorer hollow earth.

Gojirafan2013
Ronin

Ghidorah’s origins, aliens, and why I think Keizer Ghidorah could be the “final boss” of the MonsterVerse.

Post by Gojirafan2013 »

One of the most common theories I’ve written about on these subs is that we’ll learn about Ghidorah’s origin in the future.

According to my theory, we will eventually learn that Ghidorah belonged to an entire species of dragon-like Titans, and was either banished to, sent to, or travelled to Earth. This backstory is even supported by an ancient myth from Dr. Ilene Chen’s notes from the KOTM novelization, where it describes Ghidorah as a “younger son” who “would not inherit territory” and “came to Earth to find his own.” Whether this story is simply a myth created by ancient humans to explain why Ghidorah came to Earth or not is unknown. Nonetheless its inclusion in the book is very intriguing, and could’ve been added to tease something for the future.

The thing that the story could be teasing is the existence of Ghidorah’s species. What if there are other space dragons inhabiting another planet? What if Titans aren’t just native to Earth, but are really galaxy traversing organisms? If Ghidorah was a member of another species of Titans, he could’ve come to Earth for one of three reasons…

1. Ghidorah was ostracized by his species for being too aggressive. Maybe Ghidorah belonged to a peaceful species of space dragons that were not destructive. After he tried to take over his homeworld, he was exiled into the wilderness of space, and he decided to venture out into the universe searching for his own territory. Eventually, Ghidorah came across Earth and decided to claim it for himself.

2. Ghidorah was banished to Earth for being too weak. Maybe Ghidorah was the smallest and weakest member of his family, and his older brother got to rule over the other Titans on their homeworld. Once his older brother became king, he chased Ghidorah off their home planet, and Ghidorah went to Earth to make it his territory.

3. Ghidorah was sent to Earth by a race of intelligent aliens to terraform the planet and take control of its Titan inhabitants. Maybe these aliens coexisted with Titans on their homeworld Planet X, but eventually started playing God and using Ghidorah’s species to conquer other planets. They might’ve also experimented on some of the Titans on their homeworld, creating cybernetic monsters like Gigan and (possibly) Megalon. Once the aliens set their eyes on Earth, they sent Ghidorah to the planet to terraform it. But they quickly found out that some of the Titans (Godzilla and presumably Mothra) would not surrender, and fought and defeated Ghidorah. Their hopes of Earth being dominated were diminished for the second and third time after Ghidorah was killed by Godzilla in Boston, and Mechagodzilla was defeated by Godzilla and Kong in Hong Kong.

4. Ghidorah was sent to Earth by the aliens to retrieve the blue energy from the Hollow Earth. Even though I haven’t read the GVK novelization, there’s a moment during the Antarctica scene where Nathan Lind notices that the area where Ghidorah was frozen is located near the Hollow Earth entry point, and wonders why that’s the case. If this is how the scene plays out, it suggests that Ghidorah was trying to make his way into the Hollow Earth. Why would he want to do that? Maybe to gain access to the Titan energy?

If the third and fourth reasons have some merit to them, then there’s a pretty good chance we’ll see more space monsters like Keizer Ghidorah and Gigan in the future.

If Legendary ever decides to adapt Keizer Ghidorah into the MonsterVerse, I imagine he’ll be a bigger and powerful member of Ghidorah’s species that’ll be used by aliens to take over Earth. He’ll look more otherworldly than the Ghidorah we saw in KOTM, with more than three heads, multiple eyes, and scales made of a different element than gold. Could you imagine how badass it would be to see an 800 foot Ghidorah with five heads, six eyes, horns on each head, straggly manes, scales made out of copper and ruby (giving the monster a devilish look), four tails, and some cybernetic enhancements from the aliens?!?

Think of Destroyah being combined with Instagram user godzilla_fan_art’s red Ghidorah design, and you’ll get an idea where I’m coming from.

So when you take the reasons I listed above into account, along with these other factors…

1. Gareth Edwards said that he always wanted his Godzilla sequel to be a Destroy All Monsters-type of film.

2. The MonsterVerse has continually teased aliens in KSI, KOTM, and GVK.

3. Each MonsterVerse movie except G14 and KSI has taken inspiration from Showa Era Toho movies like Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, King Kong vs. Godzilla, and King Kong Escapes.

4. The back of the GVK artbook states that Legendary has had talks about further exploring the concept of Titans coming from space.

…I can see the MonsterVerse ending with a big, Destroy All Monsters-type of movie where aliens use Keizer Ghidorah and Gigan to invade Earth. I can see this movie ending in a very similar fashion to the original Destroy All Monsters, where after Godzilla, Kong, Mothra (either in her larva form or fully grown), and Rodan defeat Gigan, the aliens send Keizer Ghidorah to Earth, and it takes the four monsters and all the other Titans from KOTM to defeat him.

An all-out monster brawl ensues, with every Titan using their own unique abilities to defeat the five headed demon. Mothra uses her silk, Rodan dive bombs, Scylla uses her durability and shoots liquid nitrogen, Behemoth uses his strength and tusks, Methuselah uses his strength and durability, Tiamat creates cyclones and shoots toxic vapor, the Queen MUTO uses her claws and EMP powers, skullcrawlers attack from below, Kong uses his speed, strength, and axe, and Godzilla uses his brute strength, atomic breath, and some new ability he acquires prior to the third act or in a previous film. His new power would either be his burning form or the red spiral beam. Just like in the original film, it takes brute force to bring down Keizer Ghidorah, but Earth’s Titans eventually emerge victorious after Godzilla performs a big sacrificial act to defeat Keizer. Godzilla either purposely goes into his burning form or destroys Keizer Ghidorah with his red beam and dies from using up a lot of his energy.

*Whoo.* That was another big mouthful. Lol.

TLDR: Based on the fact that the MonsterVerse has continually teased aliens, and the fact that Ghidorah’s origins have barely been explored, I think there’s a good chance Legendary will adapt Keizer Ghidorah to be the MonsterVerse’s final boss.
Last edited by Gojirafan2013 on Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Re: Ghidorah’s origins, aliens, and why I think Keizer Ghidorah could be the “final boss” of the MonsterVerse.

Post by kaijukurt »

Gojirafan2013 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:20 am According to my theory, we will eventually learn that Ghidorah belonged to an entire species of dragon-like Titans, and was either banished to, sent to, or travelled to Earth. This backstory is even supported by an ancient myth from Dr. Ilene Chen’s notes from the KOTM novelization, where it describes Ghidorah as a “younger son” who “would not inherit territory” and “came to Earth to find his own.” Whether this story is simply a myth created by ancient humans to explain why Ghidorah came to Earth or not is unknown. Nonetheless its inclusion in the book is very intriguing, and could’ve been added to tease something for the future.
^Nice read, plus this one really stood out!