Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Sequel

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I'm all for a MonsterVerse adaption of Primal Rage using the Titans too!

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Posting this to let everyone know.

Gfans on Twitter are in an uproar and might start attacking JunkieXl because he insulted Mothra vs Godzilla today with a very poor take.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:06 pm Posting this to let everyone know.

Gfans on Twitter are in an uproar and might start attacking JunkieXl because he insulted Mothr vs Godzilla today with a very poor take.
Where? I couldn't find this at all
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

MogeGoji1994 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:53 pm

Gfans on Twitter are in an uproar and might start attacking JunkieXl because he insulted Mothr vs Godzilla today with a very poor take.
Where? I couldn't find this at all
Matt Frank and Dangerville for a start. I only mentioned it because he is scoring the upcoming film and we know how fandoms get.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

The man said Godzilla vs Mothra, which is a bad movie.

Only GFans could get this intentionally obtuse just so they can be angry with someone.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

TKDM
Samurai

Post by TKDM »

Are we still talking about this interview? It’s two years old 🤷🏼‍♂️

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

NSZ wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:42 am

Only GFans could get this intentionally obtuse just so they can be angry with someone.
To be fair, we can't expect a casual audience member to articulate the difference between those two movies and their very similar titles. I assumed he was talking about Mothra vs Godzilla simply because it's the more famous of the two.

But at the end of the day, he's just a composer, and he doesn't have much influence over how the movie turns out. His opinion isn't going to affect the film's quality. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge deal.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

A useless and hypocritical artificially generated outrage. Tom is a composer, not a writer- whatever off brand take he might have made is completely irrelevant to his actual role within GvK and this movie. Not to mention the aforementioned quote is from a 2021 interview- I can guarantee you that if this wasn’t dug up by the schmuck who posted this nobody would have batted an eye lmao. Attacking and trying to gaslight the man over this is ridiculous and frankly embarrassing, but such is the nature of Twitter fanbases.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Yeah not a big deal people have different opinions about the quality of any movie as long you're not something racist, illegal, or discriminatory than I can respect that.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:21 am Yeah not a big deal people have different opinions about the quality of any movie as long you're not something racist, illegal, or discriminatory than I can respect that.
This. While the remark he made does come as a bit ignorant and demeaning he still mentions he loves the film and in the end there is nothing inherently problematic about it. Just feels like people intentionally digging out stuff to be pissed off about.

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

MCU stans are worse. Wayyyyyyyy worse.

A few weeks ago I called Endgame overrated on Reddit and I got torn a new one. I wasn’t even being an asshole either.
Last edited by Handsome Shrek on Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

https://twitter.com/KDM_Monsters/status ... KRiv4sAAAA

Nothing major or noteworthy, just a seeming confirmation that the landfall scene shot in Rio involves the big G. Should have been obvious in hindsight but eh, nice to have a semi-affirmation I guess. Wonder what’s the context gonna be.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Gfans on Twitter are in an uproar and might start attacking JunkieXl because he insulted Mothra vs Godzilla today with a very poor take.
What did he say exactly?
Dv-218 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:23 am https://twitter.com/KDM_Monsters/status ... KRiv4sAAAA

Nothing major or noteworthy, just a seeming confirmation that the landfall scene shot in Rio involves the big G. Should have been obvious in hindsight but eh, nice to have a semi-affirmation I guess. Wonder what’s the context gonna be.
Being in Rio, I kinda hope it involves Behemoth.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:56 am

MCU stans are worse. Wayyyyyyyy worse.

A few weeks ago I called Endgame overrated on Reddit and I got torn a new one. I wasn’t even being an asshole either.
ALL. FANDOMS. ARE. GARBAGE.

because is people who make their hobbies and liked media part of their personality and usually are either young or socially inept sad as that is, so when anyone dislikes, makes a critic or anything alongside those lines they take it personally.

thats why for as long as fandoms have existed they go ballistic when the hive mind decides to focus on anything, add the anonymity of the internet AND the modern social media/fast consumable content, channels on youtube and pages made just to flame and spite ramping every reaction up and you can see why everything can end up in a toxic meltdown.

Jake Loyd being bullied because of the star wars prequels, the absolute confusing mess of Brie Larson hates men marvel hates men viewers because they give her a job yes theres people who believed that, over in the transforemrs fandom right now is ''michael bay ruined rise of the beast since hes the producer''... despite being yknow the fan loved BBB movie producer too, James gunn is gonna ruin the DCEU (its been a dumpster fire since like 2016)

it just goes on and on and on all fandom sucks and people usually try to play it as just a few bad apples but it really isnt, the best way to enjot whatever you like is on your own and with small dips into larger fan spaces if you want to keep the random toxicity at the lowest.

if anything the godzilla fandom being relatively small is what keeps it from being an all out meltdown situation unlike bigger IPs so thats at least a good thing

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:10 pm

What did he say exactly?
Dv-218 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:23 am https://twitter.com/KDM_Monsters/status ... KRiv4sAAAA

Being in Rio, I kinda hope it involves Behemoth.
https://twitter.com/spankzilla85/status ... Dlj9Q&s=19

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It's clearly obvious from the way he said it that he's talking about the 1964 film. Only big fans would really know the minor nominal difference between the 64 and 92 films.

And even if he was talking about the 1992 GVM, this kind of attitude, as Matt Frank summarized in his Tweets, is moronic and irritating. Much more so when it comes from someone working on the actual franchise. The sheer contrast in the way Holkenborg talks about the series versus Bear McCreary (below) is astonishing.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I agree that personal attacks on a composer are wrong, peroid, nor is there anything to do (a composer doesn't have to love or be super knowledgable about the franchise), but I get why Matt Frank chose to single out the quote. He's pretty clearly using it to show that there was a time where people acted like that about the franchise and were very dismissive of it, and the genre, as an actual art form. We've made progress, so it's important to keep to it.

But regardless of what the composer thinks, I'd just like to say he's wrong. Mothra vs. Godzilla 1964 has a really tight script, and easily one of the strongest emotional cores with nuclear testing in the Pacific connecting to the plight of the infant islanders. It's a good example of an enviornmental justice film (a newly emerging genre in literary and academic criticism), and the acting is fantastic. And the film is well-made too. I remind everyone at this time to listen to the late Eabaker's thoughts and insights on the film on the G-Force podcast.

I sort of hate this world we live in where criticizing someone for their own criticism of something is seen as bad or insulting. It happens in academia on a regular basis. Again, personal attacks are wrong, but it shouldn't be surprising or controversial. It's weird to misconstrue MF's commentary as anything else.
MF says:
Last thing I'll say then I'm locking the thread: maybe it's just not that big of a deal, and I'm sure his music for the next film will be *fine.* Doesn't change that it's an infuriating sentiment and there *should* be space for people to push back against it.
Sums it up nicely.

At least it's not a director saying this! Oh well, I liked Junkie XL's score a lot. :)
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:51 pm I agree that personal attacks on a composer are wrong, peroid, nor is there anything to do (a composer doesn't have to love or be super knowledgable about the franchise), but I get why Matt Frank chose to single out the quote.
Agreed, but personally I think damning praise like this is arguably worse than just stating you aren't a fan. Something scummy about saying you're a fan of something you're working on but then also calling it terrible in the same breath.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:05 pm Agreed, but personally I think damning praise like this is arguably worse than just stating you aren't a fan. Something scummy about saying you're a fan of something you're working on but then also calling it terrible in the same breath.
It gives validation to mindless passerbys and ignorant people that there's nothing of value there, "See, even Godzilla fans think it's dumb!"
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:51 pm I agree that personal attacks on a composer are wrong, peroid, nor is there anything to do (a composer doesn't have to love or be super knowledgable about the franchise), but I get why Matt Frank chose to single out the quote. He's pretty clearly using it to show that there was a time where people acted like that about the franchise and were very dismissive of it, and the genre, as an actual art form. We've made progress, so it's important to keep to it.

But regardless of what the composer thinks, I'd just like to say he's wrong. Mothra vs. Godzilla 1964 has a really tight script, and easily one of the strongest emotional cores with nuclear testing in the Pacific connecting to the plight of the infant islanders. It's a good example of an enviornmental justice film (a newly emerging genre in literary and academic criticism), and the acting is fantastic. And the film is well-made too. I remind everyone at this time to listen to the late Eabaker's thoughts and insights on the film on the G-Force podcast.

I sort of hate this world we live in where criticizing someone for their own criticism of something is seen as bad or insulting. It happens in academia on a regular basis. Again, personal attacks are wrong, but it shouldn't be surprising or controversial. It's weird to misconstrue MF's commentary as anything else.
MF says:
Last thing I'll say then I'm locking the thread: maybe it's just not that big of a deal, and I'm sure his music for the next film will be *fine.* Doesn't change that it's an infuriating sentiment and there *should* be space for people to push back against it.
Sums it up nicely.

At least it's not a director saying this! Oh well, I liked Junkie XL's score a lot. :)
Agreed. Matt summarized how snide and backhanded his statement is in relation to the franchise’s wider perception and the cultural undertones lying behind it exceptionally well. I was moreso referring to a few more…hostile examples, IE tagging him and decrying that he should be removed over this quote. While I get the frustration and the mockery this seems to elicit (very similar in vibe to Emmerich’s remarks frankly) stuff like that is really not the way to do it as you said.

Idk, I just feel like in the end one off-brand remark that comes across as the average for the western misconception of Godzilla by someone who has nothing to do with the writing and created a more or less “okay” score is really not that warranting of a reaction this aggressive. Aside from Matt and a few others that articulated the main issue with “pat on the back” dishonest opinions like this it generally feels like an excuse to be mad about something.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.