Gamera : The Last Hope

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Gamera : The Last Hope

Post by LegendZilla »

Good day everyone. Today I would like to start a thread dedicated to Matt Frank's Gamera mini-comic, titled Gamera : The Last Hope. Have any of you read it? If so, what is your opinion on it? I think that Matt Frank, really did the big turtle's origin justice. Are there any aspects of the story you find particularly noteworthy? What areas do you think could make use of improvement?

Feedback will be appreciated as always. LegendZilla out.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: Gamera : The Last Hope

Post by Chrispy_G »

I also think it is a pretty cool origin story. I like the high fantasy/mythological spin on it. I could see it being animated in a minimalist type of way and forming the prologue of a Gamera film.

I love that it is an effort to enshrine and lay out a somewhat clear origin/backstory for the Heisei Trilogy and character overall. I like that instead of an 'original' creature that Frank leaned into Garasharp. Gamera doesn't have a huge pantheon of 'almost and maybe' foes that never happened. Garasharp is by far the most prominent one...so Frank doing his own small part to sort of further legitimize and bring Garasharp into the broader Gamera lore and canon is...to me, REALLY cool. I love it when new entries of properties lean into old threads from the past and sort of bring it all together. As an aside, I find that is a value that oozes through the entire Arrow Set. Old Gamera, New Gamera, Comic Gamera, all in the same box coated with Matt Frank's artwork from cover to cover.

I also think it pairs well with the Dark Horse Comics it is bundled with in the Gamera set. To me, the Dark Horse comic doesn't really jive with the tone and style of the overall Heisei Trilogy. I like that The Last Hope prologue and the Dark Horse series can sort of function as their own little world, a different take on the same type of mythos of the Heisei Trilogy, but not overtly matching in tone/style/canonicity. I like that comic bundle as its own little pocket universe.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:47 am I like that The Last Hope prologue and the Dark Horse series can sort of function as their own little world, a different take on the same type of mythos of the Heisei Trilogy, but not overtly matching in tone/style/canonicity. I like that comic bundle as its own little pocket universe.
First of all, thanks for finally giving attention to this thread. Also, I think it’s safe to say that literally any new Gamera continuity can use this storyline as a foundation.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I personally take this as full-canon.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I’ve read some pages of it but not a whole lot and from what I can tell I liked it
Spoiler:
But I did really like that they added the scrap Gamera Monster into the comic

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:09 pm I’ve read some pages of it but not a whole lot and from what I can tell I liked it
Spoiler:
I like how Matt Frank decided to go with the whole “predecessor villain” trope with Garasharp.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:52 pm
Thatguy4683 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:09 pm I’ve read some pages of it but not a whole lot and from what I can tell I liked it
Spoiler:
I like how Matt Frank decided to go with the whole “predecessor villain” trope with Garasharp.
Not me. I kinda dislike the trope, tbh.
For Emperor and Empire!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Epic as skreeonk. Won't happen but it'd be cool to see made as a 30-minute animated special.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:56 am
Not me. I kinda dislike the trope, tbh.
What trope isn’t a petty gimmick?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:34 am