Godzilla -1.0 (2023) General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: New Godzilla movie Directed by Takashi Yamazaki in the Works

Post by Legion1979 »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:59 am I'm not unable to believe Toho ignores dubs or international cuts because they're being revisionist or cheap, however I also think they just may not eealize there is a market demand for those versions.
Okay, that's just naive. Toho knows there's a market for dubbed versions of these movies. They are pushing Godzilla internationally like never before. They're licensing these extremely marketable, decades old, usually family friendly movies for American viewers. Dubs are essential. Yet here we are in 2022 and it's legally difficult outside of old home video releases to see the American dubbed versions for many of the Showa films. Coincidently, however, they have no problem using dubs they commissioned themselves, which tells me they're okay with dubs....as long they created them themselves.

Toho is okay with dubs that will line up exactly with their own prints of these movies. But the only existing dubs for movies like Godzilla Raids Again, Mothra vs Godzilla and Ghidrah were not only NOT commissioned by Toho but they can't line up with the Japanese versions. Until Toho creates new dubs for these films (which they won't) we are never going to see these versions again, because Toho doesn't want them out there.

Toho is well aware of the market. They just don't care.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Toho probably feels it can coast off more modern Godzilla films. Use dubs of the Heisei films and MV films and by the time fans want to see the ahowa films they won't mind sub versions.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Maybe someone at Toho international isn't too keen on phony asian accents. .-. Toho prefers the American cut of Godzilla 2000 to their own international one and has essentially replaced it.

Germany and France get all the cool releases. I wonder what a phony asian accent sounds like in German and French.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

StardustGenius wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:36 pm Maybe someone at Toho international isn't too keen on phony asian accents. .-. Toho prefers the American cut of Godzilla 2000 to their own international one and has essentially replaced it.

Germany and France get all the cool releases. I wonder what a phony asian accent sounds like in German and French.
That's actually a good point. Maybe some of the Asian accents are considered not PC safe with a few exceptions. Maybe it's a combination of different factors like rights issues, logistics, damaged prints, ect....
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I'm being a bit facetious when I say the phony asian accents angle, but now that its brought up I didn't think of that. But in regards to damaged prints, no way. I am very sure they have access to them. Like Legion says, they just don't care.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I don't expect any big update on this film until April at least.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:43 pm I don't expect any big update on this film until April at least.
I figured we would get a teaser with Shin Kamen Rider in March. A trailer in May.. Then a marketing blow out in July till release.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:43 pm I don't expect any big update on this film until April at least.
The design might not even get a reveal until much later, either. I do expect a poster of some kind before the second half of the year, though.

Though, as OGMechaMothra points out, a teaser is possible with the release of Shin Kamen Rider.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I doubt it. I don't expect a teaser to June or July. Remember how Shin was marketed.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Any leaks you guy found that might be true?

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:13 am Any leaks you guy found that might be true?
Only leak I have ever seen was that leak the day of the announcement which is most likely (99.9%) fake.. other than that.. it has been very quite.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:13 am Any leaks you guy found that might be true?
It's against site rules to ask for leaks. If you want to look for leaks, you'll have to do it somewhere else.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:35 pm
It's against site rules to ask for leaks. If you want to look for leaks, you'll have to do it somewhere else.
Oh crap I didn’t know that sorry about that

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

While I really enjoyed Shin Ultraman, I hope Toho works on the cgi more as SU definitely had some issues there and that SU is not the “standard” in that department going forward.
Last edited by Cookson on Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cookson wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:41 am While I really enjoyed Shin Ultraman, I hope Toho works on the cgi more as SU definitely had some issues there and that SU is not the “standard” in that department going forward.
I suspect it’ll be better. We don’t know too much, but I recall feeling and seeing Shin Ultraman had a lower budget than Shin Godzilla. While effort was clearly put into cinematography, and the visuals aren’t the worst thing in the world, they did feel like a downgrade even compared to 2016’s Shin Godzilla.

At least they sort of proved they can deliver fast and fluid fights; the Gabora fight proved that for me.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Small update

Kdm on Twitter confirmed the 2 Godzilla stroy is fake and said this will be a dark tragic stand alone Godzilla

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:24 pm Small update

Kdm on Twitter confirmed the 2 Godzilla stroy is fake and said this will be a dark tragic stand alone Godzilla
Standalone as in he's the only monster, or stand alone as in its the only time Godzilla has shown up in this continuity?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:58 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:24 pm Small update

Standalone as in he's the only monster, or stand alone as in its the only time Godzilla has shown up in this continuity?
Not sure but I take it as this movie is self contained and this is the first time he's appeared.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'm really intrigued. Could be an interesting companion piece with Shin Godzilla if it focuses more the social and humanitarian side of a kaiju attack.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I love what I'm hearing if anything I'm sorta surprised I figured Takashi Yamazaki would make a slightly more lighthearted film but based what LSD Jellyfish said months earlier in context of what post war Japan was like it makes since and I'm thrilled.