Godzilla -1.0 (2023) General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Godzilla -1.0 (2023) General Discussion Thread

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Recently news has come to light due to the casting call for extras that Toho is working on a new kaiju movie, helmed by Takashi Yamazaki, director of such works as Always Sunset on Third Street, Returner, and the live action Battleship Yamato.

Only info on the movie itself is that it’s set between 1945 and 1947, filming begins next month, and that the working title is just “Blockbuster Kaiju Movie”.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: New Kaiju Movie Directed by Takashi Yamazaki in the Works

Post by LegendZilla »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:52 pm Recently news has come to light due to the casting call for extras that Toho is working on a new kaiju movie, helmed by Takashi Yamazaki, director of such works as Always Sunset on Third Street, Returner, and the live action Battleship Yamato.

Only info on the movie itself is that it’s set between 1945 and 1947, filming begins next month, and that the working title is just “Blockbuster Kaiju Movie”.
This could be the 70th anniversary Godzilla film.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:55 pm
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:52 pm Recently news has come to light due to the casting call for extras that Toho is working on a new kaiju movie, helmed by Takashi Yamazaki, director of such works as Always Sunset on Third Street, Returner, and the live action Battleship Yamato.

This could be the 50th anniversary Godzilla film.
Don't know how to break it to you, but the 50th was in 2004.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:52 pm Takashi Yamazaki, director of such works as Always Sunset on Third Street, Returner, and the live action Battleship Yamato.
Don't forget Godzilla the Ride! It really shows his talent about Kaiju genre. It was also set in the Showa era.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

A lot of Japanese fans are already speculating it's Godzilla.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't - but I'll eat my hat if Toho doesn't have something planned for the 2024 anniversary, so the math lines up for this.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:11 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:55 pm

This could be the 50th anniversary Godzilla film.
Don't know how to break it to you, but the 50th was in 2004.
I meant 70th.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

The extra recruitment list:

- The crew of the ship in the harbor
- Women passing by or watching form the harbor
- Former Navy men
- Black market passersby, shoppers, drinkers, clerk, etc.
- Harbor workers
- People who have run away
- Former soldiers gathering at a certain meeting
- People running away from downtown
- Police officers and investigators in the destroyed city
- Demobilized soldiers on the deck of a demobilized ship

It seems to be a scene where something comes out of the sea and attacks a port city.

Added in 2 minutes 18 seconds:
Angilasman wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:17 pm A lot of Japanese fans are already speculating it's Godzilla.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't - but I'll eat my hat if Toho doesn't have something planned for the 2024 anniversary, so the math lines up for this.
And that this recruitment was first posted on the Godzilla app.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

What if this is a prequel to Godzilla? Maybe not a G film at all or something to crosspromote into the G 70th film. What if this is just part of the film?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

ATRAGON PREQUEL ATRAGON PREQUEL
I kid, but still... excitement! Godzilla, not Godzilla, Toho in the kaiju game gets me all tingly.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:58 pm ATRAGON PREQUEL ATRAGON PREQUEL
I kid, but still... excitement! Godzilla, not Godzilla, Toho in the kaiju game gets me all tingly.
The top line got my hopes up and the bottom lines dashed them on the rocks! :P

I hope it is the 70th anniversary film. I would gladly welcome a new live action full feature film from Toho. Once a decade is just not often enough.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm 90% sure this is a Godzilla film, but even if it isn't this is still exciting. A new live-action Toho Kaiju film, regardless of if it's Godzilla, is buzz worthy on it's own.

I'm excited because I liked the Godzilla scene in Always Sunny film, and I also enjoyed the Godzilla the Ride action. I'm assuming this is like with Anno how he had a "trial" through the Giant God Warrior idea.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

vastatosaurus wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:31 pm The extra recruitment list:

- The crew of the ship in the harbor
- Women passing by or watching form the harbor
- Former Navy men
- Black market passersby, shoppers, drinkers, clerk, etc.
- Harbor workers
- People who have run away
- Former soldiers gathering at a certain meeting
- People running away from downtown
- Police officers and investigators in the destroyed city
- Demobilized soldiers on the deck of a demobilized ship

It seems to be a scene where something comes out of the sea and attacks a port city.

Added in 2 minutes 18 seconds:
Angilasman wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:17 pm A lot of Japanese fans are already speculating it's Godzilla.

And that this recruitment was first posted on the Godzilla app.
It may be time to answer the call. Maybe this can make up for my scene in Godzilla Zero Hour never being released.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

On the off chance that anyone gets into casting or extras, please remember the site has a no leak policy. Additionally, I read the the extra application form out of curiosity, and it's pretty clear you can't record or discuss anything you see should you be chosen. I wouldn't recommend publicly posting about it if you're serious about getting involved until it happens.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Friendly reminder that not EVERY Toho kaiju film has to be Godzilla.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:08 pm Friendly reminder that not EVERY Toho kaiju film has to be Godzilla.
Shin Rebirth of Mothra trilogy confirmed.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Shin Varan:P

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:22 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:08 pm Friendly reminder that not EVERY Toho kaiju film has to be Godzilla.
You mean Shin Zilla!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:16 pm
Vakanai wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:22 pm
You mean Shin Zilla!
No, that's only if it gets announced by Sony. :P

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

If I had to wager, it's completely unconnected to the "shin" crossover/series. Anno directed/had his hand in all of those, and this is clearly directed by another person. If Shin Ultraman really does get released this year, then Shin Kamen Rider may/could get released in 2023, and that leaves this film a nice time to get released.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

An original kaiju movie would actually be quite welcome. It's been ages since Toho has done a non Godzilla kaiju film.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983