Godzilla -1.0 (2023) General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Re: New Godzilla movie Directed by Takashi Yamazaki in the Works

Post by Janjira-York »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:12 am Matt Frank actually did a pretty cool picture of what a whale based Godzilla could look like and I honestly thought it was pretty dope.
yeah but matt is king on like depicting most godzilla things, the dude is awesome

bottom line is this got me exited

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

It always makes me happy to hear news a new Godzilla project in production. I remember first seeing that Godzilla sequence in Always: Sunset on Third Street 2 on YouTube all those years ago. And now the director of that movie is directing the next Godzilla movie. I'm really looking forward to it and hope that Takashi Yamazaki does an great job.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:25 pm
Desghidorah wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:34 pm Bit of an odd take, but if the film is genuinely set in the 1940s-1950s, I hope we get to see Odo island in some form again. I rather liked the potential implication that Godzilla was a supernatural or revered force prior to the bombings, with the original film leaving it ambiguous what exactly was going on with Odo Island's lore. Just a fluke coincidence resemblance that a random irradiated reptile resembled their dragon lore? Did Godzilla inspire said lore to begin with? What if Godzilla is something of a destructive kami and the nuclear bombing incited its wrath and power? After all, in ancient times fire and lightning was often two of the most destructive forces imaginable, so destructive monsters often breathed them. Why wouldn't an incarnation of destruction take on the properties of the new most destructive force on earth, a nuclear bomb?
There’s a manga I’m translating from the Godzilla Comic where samurai fight Godzilla on Odo Island. It’s an unscarred Godzilla that lacks a beam, similar to Godzillasaurus. I doubt this’ll have anything to do with the film, but I think you’d find it cool. I’ve sortve been reading over a lot of the manga fairly recently, Toho has a lot of weird ways of reusing some of these ideas.

Anyways, I’m going to start a journey of going through the directors other Toho works. I won’t watch everything, but whatever suits the mood. I watched Always Sunset on Third Street yesterday and it was pretty good. I have faith that we might get a film slightly similar to the 60s Godzilla, and maybe not as dark as everyone, including myself, has been assuming.
Oh certainly, drop me a memo when you've got some of the translation done as I'd be thrilled to see that!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I could see them taking a lighter route after Shin. Not sure if that's what I want, but I'm also not horribly opposed to the idea.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:28 pm I could see them taking a lighter route after Shin. Not sure if that's what I want, but I'm also not horribly opposed to the idea.
Yeah, after watching some of his movies like Always Sunset, I intend to watch some of Yamazaki Takashi's controversial films, like Eternal Zero. I can't imagine something super depressing after seeing some of his other stuff.

Then again, judging a director on their past works isn't always accurate or revelatory. They way people thought Shin Ultraman would be super depressing or weird, just based on streotypes of Anno and his work, is really funny in retrospect, when that turned out to be mostly hopeful.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:45 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:28 pm I could see them taking a lighter route after Shin. Not sure if that's what I want, but I'm also not horribly opposed to the idea.
Yeah, after watching some of his movies like Always Sunset, I intend to watch some of Yamazaki Takashi's controversial films, like Eternal Zero. I can't imagine something super depressing after seeing some of his other stuff.

Then again, judging a director on their past works isn't always accurate or revelatory. They way people thought Shin Ultraman would be super depressing or weird, just based on streotypes of Anno and his work, is really funny in retrospect, when that turned out to be mostly hopeful.
Yeah, Shin Ultraman was such a stark contrast to what I was expecting and I absolutely love it for it. I know this is highly unlikely, but I'd love to see a bit of "both." Perhaps the '40s scenes show Godzilla as he initially was, an aggressive and highly vengeful, but intelligent, creature hellbent on punishing humankind. However, by the time he returns (if the '40s stuff is just flashback), he's mellowed and has awoken to save the planet IE: later Showa films, with the human drama centered on if trusting Godzilla after the initial '40s rampage is a good idea and exploring the ideals of forgiveness and overcoming hatred/one's past.

Like a realistic take on how the world would have actually responded to Godzilla becoming a superhero by the 70s, after devastating cities for almost a decade prior.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:45 pm

Agreed, and I don't think we should try to pidgeon-hole artists into a certain mood. A good director, I think, can choose whatever tone he or she wants. It's the execution that matters.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Any predictions on monster appearances? Obviously we got the big man, but do ya think any of his co-stars might make a reappearance? I wouldn’t be shocked if we got a monster like Anguirus, but you never know these days. They’re probably going to have some kinda new monster but we can’t really speculate about that as it could be anything.

Hope they do better than SP and actually have the real kaiju instead of making them Godzilla’s forms. I was not impressed by the fake-out Titano, Varan and Gorosaurus.
For Emperor and Empire!

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I highly doubt they're gonna do that again, as far as another monster appearing it's a coin toss honestly most of Toho Toho non short film works have deemphasized monsters battle and it's very likely that it will continue here especially since this is yet another reboot however you can make the case that because it's be so long they might give us another kaiju to battle Godzilla I feel it's overdue for one personally and my guess is it will likely be a Toho monster like Angurius or Rodan for all we know there could be several if Shin Ultraman is anything to go by.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:40 am you can make the case that because it's be so long they might give us another kaiju to battle Godzilla I feel it's overdue for one personally and my guess is it will likely be a Toho monster like Angurius or Rodan for all we know there could be several if Shin Ultraman is anything to go by.
Godzilla is so much more powerful now than when he originally fought Anguirus and Rodan that it wouldn’t be a fair fight unless Toho either de-powered Godzilla or significantly powered up Anguirus or Rodan, neither of which I think fans would welcome. Btw, we saw Godzilla crush Anguirus and Rodan (and King Seesar) in GFW so I don’t think Toho would try that match-up again so soon.

My guess is that it will be a new kaiju that is closer in capabilities to modern Godzilla. It would be even better if Godzilla lost the first round so that the outcome of the final round was less certain.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Yeah I’m sure there will be another monster or even more. Too much merchandise sales to pass on etc.

Even with Shin Godzilla as a solo film there were multiple forms they were able to bank off of.
Last edited by Cookson on Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Give us the Ancient Chinese Shapeshifter Toho, do it you cowards!

But also, its also likely this is a solo film.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:38 pm Give us the Ancient Chinese Shapeshifter Toho, do it you cowards!
Are you talking about a certain Kaiju who Toho’s turned down time and time again?

phillipw1954
Samurai

Post by phillipw1954 »

Honestly, I hope that the logo is a SUPER abstract take on the movie's Godzilla design. Like obviously it's abstract but I'm hoping the dorsal fins aren't huge like that. They kinda stick out like a sore thumb imo.
I'm okay with the design being hunched over like GMK's design or the other Takashi Yamazaki designs but I like my Godzilla's tall like Shin, 54, or Heisei.
Still looking forward to the movie 100%, but I have my reserves in regard to the design.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

SpiderZilla wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:46 am
DynomikeGojira wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:40 am you can make the case that because it's be so long they might give us another kaiju to battle Godzilla I feel it's overdue for one personally and my guess is it will likely be a Toho monster like Angurius or Rodan for all we know there could be several if Shin Ultraman is anything to go by.
Godzilla is so much more powerful now than when he originally fought Anguirus and Rodan that it wouldn’t be a fair fight unless Toho either de-powered Godzilla or significantly powered up Anguirus or Rodan, neither of which I think fans would welcome. Btw, we saw Godzilla crush Anguirus and Rodan (and King Seesar) in GFW so I don’t think Toho would try that match-up again so soon.

My guess is that it will be a new kaiju that is closer in capabilities to modern Godzilla. It would be even better if Godzilla lost the first round so that the outcome of the final round was less certain.

I severely dislike how fans want or expect godzilla to be this unbeatable mountain of doom nowdays that will plow thru everything its boring it works for some versions of the character it makes a lot of the monsters on the mythos being just some fucking no beam scrubs with only teeth and nails that can't even possibly even push godzilla.

I say nerf him if you need it for the story

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Janjira-York wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:03 pm
SpiderZilla wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:46 am

I severely dislike how fans want or expect godzilla to be this unbeatable mountain of doom nowdays that will plow thru everything its boring it works for some versions of the character it makes a lot of the monsters on the mythos being just some fucking no beam scrubs with only teeth and nails that can't even possibly even push godzilla.

I say nerf him if you need it for the story
Godzilla has been unbeatable since the 70's.The only monsters to stand up to him once the 70's rolled around where his clones, Ghidorah and Destroyah at first. Other than that he had to be jumped or out smarted.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I’m on team nerf Godzilla
He Jock it Made of Steel

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

And besides Rodan was originally portrayed as an equal to Godzilla so many of us would like to see that again and a more traditional Godzilla it's all about execution.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Voyager wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:46 am Any predictions on monster appearances? Obviously we got the big man, but do ya think any of his co-stars might make a reappearance? I wouldn’t be shocked if we got a monster like Anguirus, but you never know these days. They’re probably going to have some kinda new monster but we can’t really speculate about that as it could be anything.

Hope they do better than SP and actually have the real kaiju instead of making them Godzilla’s forms. I was not impressed by the fake-out Titano, Varan and Gorosaurus.
If we all buy enough toys these next few months, then maybe Toho will gamble and make a new monster. :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:38 pm But also, its also likely this is a solo film.
Is there really any evidence to back this up?