Godzilla -1.0 (2023) General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: New Godzilla movie Directed by Takashi Yamazaki in the Works

Post by JAGzilla »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:45 pm
StardustGenius wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:38 pm But also, its also likely this is a solo film.
Is there really any evidence to back this up?
None that I know of. But the apparent '40s setting calls Gojira to mind, the Always 2 cameo was a solo appearance, and (perhaps most importantly) Shin was a solo appearance. It's the only frame of reference we have for what a modern Toho live action Godzilla movie looks like, so people are naturally going to expect something similar. On top of that, Toho is well known for its stiflingly safe, conservative tendencies: Shin sold, so there's every chance Toho will force Yamazaki to make his movie as much like Shin as possible.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godzillaninja2019
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzillaninja2019 »

If the logo for new movie is said to shown a hint of godzilla design, however since Takashi Yamazaki have work on godzilla by his cameo in the film always sunny on 3rd street 2 and godzilla the ride design as an inspiration for godzilla new look for 2023.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:05 pm Toho is well known for its stiflingly safe, conservative tendencies: Shin sold, so there's every chance Toho will force Yamazaki to make his movie as much like Shin as possible.
If only they could loosen up with what kaiju they choose to include instead of relying so heavily on the likes of Mothra, KG and MG.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:56 pm If only they could loosen up with what kaiju they choose to include instead of relying so heavily on the likes of Mothra, KG and MG.
You won't find many people who disagree with this. Personally, I have a feeling those days are over. I think Toho has finally realized that there's money to be made in marketing a large roster of characters. We'll find out in a few months...

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:14 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:56 pm If only they could loosen up with what kaiju they choose to include instead of relying so heavily on the likes of Mothra, KG and MG.
You won't find many people who disagree with this. Personally, I have a feeling those days are over. I think Toho has finally realized that there's money to be made in marketing a large roster of characters. We'll find out in a few months...
Before the MCU, Spiderman and the X-men were the only Marvel characters mainstream audiences pretty much cared about. Who says the same can't happen with Toho's vast catalogue of kaiju?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:16 pm Untill the MCU came about, Spiderman and the X-men were the only Marvel characters mainstream audiences pretty much cared about. Who says the same can't happen with kaiju?
Exactly. Obscure nobodies like Groot or Thanos or Captain Marvel are now household names raking in billions of dollars. Now, kaiju, being simplistic animal characters that can't usually talk, are a bit less marketable than superheroes. Anguirus or Biollante are never going to be on the same level of popularity as superheroes. But if they can sell merch as well as Jurassic World dinosaurs do, that's all the incentive Toho needs. In theory, anyway.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^You need to be rigidly beholden to the status quo to object to bringing back lesser-known kaiju.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

I would prefer a few movies with new kaiju to add to the catalog before we bring back anyone but I am 100% in on it being less popular kaiju first.
Last edited by OGMechaMothra on Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I talked to two people about the leak, one was a friend who is just a life long Godzilla fan, the other works in film and gets occasional scoops. Both of them said while they don't belive the leak, it doesn't sound that far fetched to them.

Not only was all the new ways Toho was experimenting with Godzilla brought up as well as the mirror between the monster storyline and the human storyline but two Godzillas allows Toho to release more merch for the film.

The mutation angle also makes it so it's not two identical Godzilla fighting.

Just food for thought.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:42 pm If anyone else doesn't see big G man within the logo reveal, this fan edit pretty much hits what some of us are seeing.

If the design is close to this, then I like it a lot already. God, it's fun to be excited about a new Godzilla movie again. Hope this time my excitement is matched with a wonderful movie I love. Shin and King of the Monsters have been a while, and with the anime and other film not being my cup of tea, kinda felt like a drag time for me in this fandom. Here's hoping that solo or versus I have a good time watching it.

Added in 40 minutes 18 seconds:
Jetty_Jags wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:34 am I’m on team nerf Godzilla
I'm on team "whatever makes a good movie" Godzilla. Nerf, same, power up, whatever fits the tone and story best. Like I love 2014 Godzilla a lot, like a lot a lot (God the Monsterverse started off so much better than where it went), and Godzilla really took a hell of a beating. Like two on one the MUTOs were a heck of a fight. But I also love Shin where he was nigh unto an unstoppable god beast. So a Godzilla that is weak enough to struggle against an opponent, or strong enough to be a mountain of death can both work. Just depends on the execution, and whichever route this film takes I hope it's executed flawlessly.

Added in 17 minutes :
Okay now onto the main bent of the conversation - New versus classic kaiju. Now while I personally would love to see Toho bring back more obscure monsters with modern special effects and budgets, with Anguirus being at the very very tippy top of that list, I kinda want something new we haven't seen before more to be honest. Like I want a surprise this go around. The anime trilogy and both rides and Monsterverse all brought back King Ghidorah so please no more of him. Seriously we had four versions of Ghiddy past several years, let him rest a bit. Likewise the SP anime, one ride, and MV all did Rodan, so he should also be shelved for a moment. So if it has to be a repeat kaiju, please at least pick Megalon or Megaguirus or Destroyah or anyone else who only has one or two movie appearances to date. But preferably some new blood.

But I also still would really like Anguirus.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:42 pm If anyone else doesn't see big G man within the logo reveal, this fan edit pretty much hits what some of us are seeing.

I think you guys are seeing things, but if that’s the case I will not be a fan of the design

The ride design is the only Reiwa design I like, hopefully this one is good too.
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Godzillaninja2019
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzillaninja2019 »

Also if it take place post war Japan I kinda want to see godzilla becoming godzilla (like in godzilla vs ghidorah) but show his transformation from his pre mutation before and after maybe in the effect of the thing or the fly transformation

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Godzillaninja2019 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:31 pm Also if it take place post war Japan I kinda want to see godzilla becoming godzilla (like in godzilla vs ghidorah) but show his transformation from his pre mutation before and after maybe in the effect of the thing or the fly transformation
Haven't we kind of got enough of pre-Godzilla transforming into Godzilla now with Shin and SP? Kind of worried Godzilla transformations might become a meme if done again so soon.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

While I will always think a film's runtime has no direct relationship or indication og it's quality, I wonder if this will be longer than the bulk of the rest of the series. I do not mean that the film will be some 2 and a half hour epic or anything, but I'm wondering if it'll be slightly around the same runtime as Godzilla.

I bring this up because that will lead us to be able to speculate how many monsters, if there are more. A lot of people have been stating it'll be Godzilla +Old Monster or Godzilla +New Monster, but wouldn't it be cool if it was "Godzilla+New Monster+Old Monster"?. That might seem crowded in a film that is one and a half hours long, but if it's longer it might be satisfying.

I don't mind if a monster comes back, so long as it isn't KG, MG, or Mothra, but I hope they get used in an interesting way.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:45 pm While I will always think a film's runtime has no direct relationship or indication og it's quality, I wonder if this will be longer than the bulk of the rest of the series. I do not mean that the film will be some 2 and a half hour epic or anything, but I'm wondering if it'll be slightly around the same runtime as Godzilla.

I bring this up because that will lead us to be able to speculate how many monsters, if there are more. A lot of people have been stating it'll be Godzilla +Old Monster or Godzilla +New Monster, but wouldn't it be cool if it was "Godzilla+New Monster+Old Monster"?. That might seem crowded in a film that is one and a half hours long, but if it's longer it might be satisfying.

I don't mind if a monster comes back, so long as it isn't KG, MG, or Mothra, but I hope they get used in an interesting way.
Honestly feels like it could be a coin flip. On one side two hour long movies are so common now I think that they're quite probably the norm over the hour and a half films. But on the flip side I can definitely see Toho and Godzilla being one of the few franchises to still stick with the 90 minute format. So it could go either way I think.

For whatever it's worth, I really feel like this is going to be a versus flick, so if one other monster at least doesn't appear I'll be surprised.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:20 pm
Godzillaninja2019 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:31 pm Also if it take place post war Japan I kinda want to see godzilla becoming godzilla (like in godzilla vs ghidorah) but show his transformation from his pre mutation before and after maybe in the effect of the thing or the fly transformation
Haven't we kind of got enough of pre-Godzilla transforming into Godzilla now with Shin and SP? Kind of worried Godzilla transformations might become a meme if done again so soon.
Shin never made it into a traditional Godzilla and Ultima was half the Toho roster.

When people say they want to see Godzilla transform I think they want Godzillasaur into Godzilla.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

Super Kaiju God Super Kaiju Godzilla.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:20 am
Shin never made it into a traditional Godzilla and Ultima was half the Toho roster.

When people say they want to see Godzilla transform I think they want Godzillasaur into Godzilla.
Thing is, we already did the Godzillasaur thing. And that was always unique to the 90s series. All other Godzillas aren't necessarily mutated from a Godzillasaur, if they're mutated at all.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:14 am

Thing is, we already did the Godzillasaur thing. And that was always unique to the 90s series. All other Godzillas aren't necessarily mutated from a Godzillasaur, if they're mutated at all.
Showa was just burned and given Atomic Breath to my understanding.
Heisei started as a dinosaur.
Legendary has always existed.
GMK was 54 possessed by souls.
The other mellieum Goji just existed as far as I know.

Godzillasaur is just one of those misconception about the series. I've seen a lot of fans assume Godzilla starts as a normal dinosaur before the H bomb.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:32 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:14 am

Showa was just burned and given Atomic Breath to my understanding.
Heisei started as a dinosaur.
Legendary has always existed.
GMK was 54 possessed by souls.
The other mellieum Goji just existed as far as I know.

Godzillasaur is just one of those misconception about the series. I've seen a lot of fans assume Godzilla starts as a normal dinosaur before the H bomb.
I blame the Trendmaster toys. The Godzillasaurus origin was written prominently on all their toy packaging.