Godzilla -1.0 (2023) General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Re: New Godzilla movie Directed by Takashi Yamazaki in the Works

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:38 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:32 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:14 am

Thing is, we already did the Godzillasaur thing. And that was always unique to the 90s series. All other Godzillas aren't necessarily mutated from a Godzillasaur, if they're mutated at all.
Showa was just burned and given Atomic Breath to my understanding.
Heisei started as a dinosaur.
Legendary has always existed.
GMK was 54 possessed by souls.
The other mellieum Goji just existed as far as I know.

Godzillasaur is just one of those misconception about the series. I've seen a lot of fans assume Godzilla starts as a normal dinosaur before the H bomb.
I blame the Trendmaster toys. The Godzillasaurus origin was written prominently on all their toy packaging.
They were using mostly Heisei kaiju and origins. In fact, I used to think as a kid (pre-internet days) that there was a 'Heisei' (obviously I did not know the terms showa and Heisei as a kid) Godzilla vs. Gigan movie with a heisei Angurius as well (based on the fact of the Trendmasters toys and the ending Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla quote about another space monster arriving because of the polluted universe and Space Godzilla being a warning to mankind). Of course, after I discovered the internet, my childhood was ruined with learning that was simply bad dialogue and script writing.
Last edited by darthzilla99 on Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

darthzilla99 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:20 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:38 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:32 pm

Showa was just burned and given Atomic Breath to my understanding.
Heisei started as a dinosaur.
Legendary has always existed.
GMK was 54 possessed by souls.
The other mellieum Goji just existed as far as I know.

Godzillasaur is just one of those misconception about the series. I've seen a lot of fans assume Godzilla starts as a normal dinosaur before the H bomb.
I blame the Trendmaster toys. The Godzillasaurus origin was written prominently on all their toy packaging.
They were using mostly Heisei kaiju and origins. In fact, I used to think as a kid (pre-internet days) that there was a 'Heisei' (obviously I did not know the terms showa and Heisei as a kid) Godzilla vs. Gigan movie with a heisei Angurius as well (based on the fact of the Trendmasters toys and the ending Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla quote about another space monster arriving because of the polluted universe and Space Godzilla being a warning to mankind). Of course, after I discovered the internet, my childhood was ruined with learning that was simply bad dialogue and script writing.
Yeah Treadmasters and Heisei controlled a lot about how 90's kids most likely saw Godzilla. I know that's where the Godzilla use to be a normal dinosaur stuck in my head came from.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Exactly, no one thought Godzilla was a mutated dinosaur until Godzilla vs King Ghidorah made it canon to the Heisei series. Since then a lot of people tend to apply that origin to all the other Godzilla series. Personally, I like Godzilla always being Godzilla.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:06 am Exactly, no one thought Godzilla was a mutated dinosaur until Godzilla vs King Ghidorah made it canon to the Heisei series. Since then a lot of people tend to apply that origin to all the other Godzilla series. Personally, I like Godzilla always being Godzilla.
Could you be more specific? You mean like how it was implied in G54 that he always existed and just got scarred by radiation?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:06 am Exactly, no one thought Godzilla was a mutated dinosaur until Godzilla vs King Ghidorah made it canon to the Heisei series.
Uhh, not sure that makes any sense. Sounds like you're implying nobody thought of that for ~40 years after G54's release.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

.....what about my comment was hard to understand, guys?

"Godzilla is a mutated dinosaur" was not offically a thing until 1991. Before then Godzilla was always just a monster awakened by atomic testing with no implication that he was anything else beforehand.

Again, where's the confusion here?

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

i dont care if tis not the godzillasaurus

the leak is pure bs anyone who has ever followed any in development movie news know the tango

BUT I LOVE THE IDEA

showa goji was some (already very godzilla funny big eyes anthro '''''''''reptile'''''''' that was mutated and scared by the A bomb) animal that already existed, I would love for that to come back front and center.

also shotout to legen goji for just, existing like that from a pre dinosaur being oddly closer to the original concepts than just big t rex in the pacific hit with radiation

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:53 pm .....what about my comment was hard to understand, guys?
Your bad phrasing.

You never said:
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:53 pm "Godzilla is a mutated dinosaur" was not offically a thing until 1991.
You said:
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:53 pm Exactly, no one thought Godzilla was a mutated dinosaur until Godzilla vs King Ghidorah made it canon to the Heisei series.
"No one thought" =/= "was not officially a thing".

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Ok whatever guys. Let's move on.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

First Bagan returned, which surely means that this film will be a stealth adaptation of Bride of Godzilla. "Why, oh MGB7503, why do you say such a proclamation?"
Well, Godzilla can't be a bachelor forever, and he needs more character development. Why is he Godzilla? Am I Godzilla? Who did he lose that made him want to become the big dunk? Does having a robomilf around entail a deduction off his phone plan, or better wifi in general? Is this how Mechagodzilla was born?

Things like this are what bring innovation to a franchise, and giving the people what they want - no, desire. Keiji Ota, I know you're lurking around here.

My source
Spoiler:
:blackholealien:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:07 am First Bagan returned, which surely means that this film will be a stealth adaptation of Bride of Godzilla. "Why, oh MGB7503, why do you say such a proclamation?"
Well, Godzilla can't be a bachelor forever, and he needs more character development. Why is he Godzilla? Am I Godzilla? Who did he lose that made him want to become the big dunk? Does having a robomilf around entail a deduction off his phone plan, or better wifi in general? Is this how Mechagodzilla was born?

Things like this are what bring innovation to a franchise, and giving the people what they want - no, desire. Keiji Ota, I know you're lurking around here.

My source
Spoiler:
:blackholealien:
Maybe Bagan and Godzilla can have a romantic subplot that ends in tragedy. Would truly be something that’s rarely explored for Godzilla.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I think they should bring Bagan into Battle Line or a comic book first.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

So omniviewer in youtube brought up a good point. He hopes Toho let's Yamazaki make his Godzilla film and not force him to make their Godzilla film as he mentions Toho is obsessed right now with Godzilla has to be just like Shin Godzilla.

The MV and the short films have gotten away with this so far but this is a full blown production.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

At the same time, loosening up and letting Anno do his own thing with Shin was a major success. Maybe that will be their takeaway.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:50 am So omniviewer in youtube brought up a good point. He hopes Toho let's Yamazaki make his Godzilla film and not force him to make their Godzilla film as he mentions Toho is obsessed right now with Godzilla has to be just like Shin Godzilla.

The MV and the short films have gotten away with this so far but this is a full blown production.
I can't remember if the shin homage scenes in singular point where because Toho wanted them, or because shin was so successful the creative team wanted them, which are two very different scenarios.
He Jock it Made of Steel

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:50 am So omniviewer in youtube brought up a good point. He hopes Toho let's Yamazaki make his Godzilla film and not force him to make their Godzilla film as he mentions Toho is obsessed right now with Godzilla has to be just like Shin Godzilla.

Last time I checked, The Omni Viewer seemed like something of a controversial figure around here. Why so? Is it that he gets a little to pedantic and holier-than-thou with his views?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:46 am I can't remember if the shin homage scenes in singular point where because Toho wanted them, or because shin was so successful the creative team wanted them, which are two very different scenarios.
So, I hate to be put in a position to defend a raging force of capitalism, but, they do make my favorite Big Dinosaur Movies, so...
I get the sense that Toho really does have a long-term plan to get the franchise kicking on all cylinders again, and obviously the root of this plan seems to be merchandising. I think they meant what they said a few years back about an MCU style array of films based on their properties, and that Mr. Toho is testing the waters with some of their trademarks that aren't Godzilla, Mothra, Mechagodzilla, etc.
I believe that even if the idea to make Ultima's forms Titanosaurus, Varan and Gorosaurus was from Toho and not the creators, it was part of that strategy. So are the new MMS vinyls, the hot sauce, etc etc etc. They're trying to gauge how actually interested people are in these kaiju.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

I wonder if we'll see the first teaser with Shin Kamen Rider in March

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:13 pm
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:46 am I can't remember if the shin homage scenes in singular point where because Toho wanted them, or because shin was so successful the creative team wanted them, which are two very different scenarios.
So, I hate to be put in a position to defend a raging force of capitalism, but, they do make my favorite Big Dinosaur Movies, so...
I get the sense that Toho really does have a long-term plan to get the franchise kicking on all cylinders again, and obviously the root of this plan seems to be merchandising. I think they meant what they said a few years back about an MCU style array of films based on their properties, and that Mr. Toho is testing the waters with some of their trademarks that aren't Godzilla, Mothra, Mechagodzilla, etc.
I believe that even if the idea to make Ultima's forms Titanosaurus, Varan and Gorosaurus was from Toho and not the creators, it was part of that strategy. So are the new MMS vinyls, the hot sauce, etc etc etc. They're trying to gauge how actually interested people are in these kaiju.
I have zero clue why the forms looked like those monsters, but I wanted to speak to the other "homages" in SP. Ultima had a bunch of moments where he did things remarkably similar to Legendary or Shin. I think Toho is just as interested in creating a "visual continuity" to connect the films better.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Yeah, having more brand synchronization is definitely on the mind of Toho's high brass right now. It makes sense, it brings incentive for consumers to stay into the franchise more and causes them to want to buy the new stuff. SP, Battle Lines, & all those damn hot sauces are examples.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos