Definitive: “How would you feel about X”

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Definitive: “How would you feel about X”

Post by Legion1979 »

SpiderZilla wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:48 pm HWYFI: Godzilla permanently crippled an opponent but did not kill it?
Ebirah?

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:59 pm
SpiderZilla wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:48 pm HWYFI: Godzilla permanently crippled an opponent but did not kill it?
Ebirah?
Google says that lobsters can regrow their claws. On the other hand the book “Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah Monster Complete Works” says that Ebirah died after its battle with Godzilla.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Would be cool but I think I want a specific example. Something like a one armed Kamacuras (or Gamera since he's lost limbs) came to (my) mind. Or maybe Rodan unable to fly because of a hole in his wing.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Gojira1604 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:10 pm
Would be cool but I think I want a specific example. Something like a one armed Kamacuras (or Gamera since he's lost limbs) came to (my) mind. Or maybe Rodan unable to fly because of a hole in his wing.
SpaceGodzilla without the crystals on his shoulders? Megaguirus without her stinger?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I know it was done by JJ, but Gigan had both arms broken.

When I think of a crippled enemy, I think of one that is unable to move or fight back. Rodan or Mothra have their wings so damaged they can't fly would be the best way to do this.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:31 pm
When I think of a crippled enemy, I think of one that is unable to move or fight back. Rodan or Mothra have their wings so damaged they can't fly would be the best way to do this.
I was thinking more in terms of Godzilla asserting his continued dominance over an opponent by reducing their effectiveness in future battles but not going so far as to make it difficult for them to feed themselves or flee from a fight.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

HWYFA a Godzilla film from the POV of a prison, where a kaiju fight is in the path of one?

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:32 pm HWYFA a Godzilla film from the POV of a prison, where a kaiju fight is in the path of one?
Sounds tense! Similar to some of GMK

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:32 pm HWYFA a Godzilla film from the POV of a prison, where a kaiju fight is in the path of one?
I like it. You could really do a character driven story there.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

I dunno. Viewers can be critical if the kaiju story didn’t intersect with the human story in a Godzilla film. Putting the humans in a prison would only make it harder to make that connection – well, aside from being stepped on.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

HYWFA a Godzilla film that features Godzilla and other kaiju trapped aboard a space colony(s)?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

HWYFA: the CGI Model for Lizzie from the Rampage movie being recycled or modified for the monsterverse to depict one of the yet unseen Titans like "Typhon" or "Bunyip"?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:08 pm HYWFA a Godzilla film that features Godzilla and other kaiju trapped aboard a space colony(s)?
It'd be interesting to see how it would play out, and how being in an enclosed space would change the action.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:08 pm HYWFA a Godzilla film that features Godzilla and other kaiju trapped aboard a space colony(s)?
The story would need to include a kaiju breaching the outer hull otherwise it wouldn’t be realistic for them to foresee those consequences.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

HWYFA :

1. Toho set up an entire Godzilla-themed amusement park? I’m thinking like Disneyland/world but dedicated to Godzilla.
2. Toho brought back the Chouseishin series?
3. A Godzilla anime anthology?
4. They re-visited humans with psychic powers?
5. Time-travel was given a second chance? If so, what time periods should be visited? I’m thinking the Sengoku-era and the Taisho era.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:33 pm HWYFA :

1. Toho set up an entire Godzilla-themed amusement park? I’m thinking like Disneyland/world but dedicated to Godzilla.
2. Toho brought back the Chouseishin series?
3. A Godzilla anime anthology?
4. They re-visited humans with psychic powers?
5. Time-travel was given a second chance? If so, what time periods should be visited? I’m thinking the Sengoku-era and the Taisho era.
1. I remember a Sally Fourth storyline in which the characters traveled to a kaiju themed park like you suggest. I think it would make plenty of money.
2. I haven't watched the series, but it would appeal to Power Ranger fans.
4. I'm for it.
5. I'd like to see how people deal with Godzilla without modern weapons.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Godzilla and anime... like, on paper, it sounds like it should be amazing. In practice? None of what we've seen so far has clicked for me much at all. I'm sure it can be done with the right creative team behind it, but I'm starting to feel that live action (or at least realistic, well executed CGI) is the visual medium this genre belongs in.

I'd be all for seeing psychics make a return, though. Maybe another stab at a prophet of doom character, though Ghidorah would ideally not be involved.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Inspired by conversation on unpopular opinion thread....HWYF about a movie where Godzilla hears the call of a female Godzilla and makes his way to her, causing some concern to those in his path as he does. However, they both end up facing the same powerful monster, and defeating it together causes an even stronger bond between them?

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:31 pm Inspired by conversation on unpopular opinion thread....HWYF about a movie where Godzilla hears the call of a female Godzilla and makes his way to her, causing some concern to those in his path as he does. However, they both end up facing the same powerful monster, and defeating it together causes an even stronger bond between them?
Godzilla 2014 but Godzilla is the MUTO.

Added in 1 minute 4 seconds:
I don't love the idea of another female Godzilla like that. But I think GTS did the concept well.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

As a one-off, I wouldn't be opposed to a female Godzilla being attempted. My concern, cynical as it is, is that she would be popular and successful. I wouldn't want her to become a major, recurring character and dilute Godzilla's uniqueness or change his traditional roles. There's enough of that going on in the superhero genre.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio