Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: New Godzilla Series On Apple TV+

Post by LegendZilla »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:26 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:13 pm
GojiSquid wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:40 pm WB is definitely a mess right now, and when we factor in the debacle and alleged lawsuit over the abrupt decision by WB to bring GvK and Dune to HBO Max without asking Legendary, I wouldn't be surprised if Toho and Legendary are feeling around for a different distributor. It'd be kinda neat if they went to Universal, as that would solve some problems with the King Kong rights.
Legendary tried working with Universal, but it ended in failure.
One step closer to seeing the Disney logo before Godzilla.
I'd settle for Paramount.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:41 pm
They would run Godzilla and the MV into the damn ground. I do not trust them to handle that IP at all.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

CyberZilla wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:29 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:41 pm
They would run Godzilla and the MV into the damn ground. I do not trust them to handle that IP at all.
Why would they be worse than any other Hollywood studio?

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:49 pm
I’ll admit I exaggerated with that, but I’ve heard bad things of what they did to the Halo series and how they handled Master Chief. I would prefer to avoid a situation like that. I also do not trust the likes of Viacom (now rebranded/merged with Paramount) considering how they handled many Nickelodeon properties in the past. Doubt it would be too much worse than other studios, sure, but imo it would still be a misstep.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

CyberZilla wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:01 pm
I’ll admit I exaggerated with that, but I’ve heard bad things of what they did to the Halo series and how they handled Master Chief. I would prefer to avoid a situation like that. I also do not trust the likes of Viacom (now rebranded/merged with Paramount) considering how they handled many Nickelodeon properties in the past. Doubt it would be too much worse than other studios, sure, but imo it would still be a misstep.
So then who do you trust?

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:03 pm
I’m one of the people who thinks Universal could.

Resized Image

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

CyberZilla wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:14 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:03 pm

I’m one of the people who thinks Universal could.
Universal wants nothing to do with Godzilla, and the last time Legendary worked with Uni, we got Pacific Rim: Uprising.

Absolutely not.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Warner Bro's is probably the safest bet for Godzilla and Kong now.

Warner's is attempting to fix there DC part and want more ''event films'' as stated by the new current CEO. Which is what Legendary and Toho both want for Godzilla.

Universal has a poor working relationship with Legendary and have little to no interest in Godzilla, Sony would butcher it, Disney wouldn't bother with Godzilla or Kong. Paramount does have ''A Quiet Place, Sonic the Hedgehog, and the current Scream trilogy''

Off topic anyone else hearing test Screenings for ''Evil Dead Rise'' were fantastic and instead of an HBO Max release there now considering a theatrical release which is why there is no trailer despite supposedly having a October release? Hope that's true!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Master Chief suffered from he wasn't 100% like the video game so it was wrong syndrome.

Paramount atleast went a fixed Sonic.

Added in 50 seconds:
Xx_The_Masquerade_xX wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:37 pm Warner Bro's is probably the safest bet for Godzilla and Kong now.

Warner's is attempting to fix there DC part and want more ''event films'' as stated by the new current CEO. Which is what Legendary and Toho both want for Godzilla.

Universal has a poor working relationship with Legendary and have little to no interest in Godzilla, Sony would butcher it, Disney wouldn't bother with Godzilla or Kong. Paramount does have ''A Quiet Place, Sonic the Hedgehog, and the current Scream trilogy''

Off topic anyone else hearing test Screenings for ''Evil Dead Rise'' were fantastic and instead of an HBO Max release there now considering a theatrical release which is why there is no trailer despite supposedly having a October release? Hope that's true!
The Discovery CEO is canceling films and shows to get tax write offs. I believe event films when I see them.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:37 pm Warner Bro's is probably the safest bet for Godzilla and Kong now.

Genuine question, why do you think Disney wouldn’t bother with Godzilla or Kong?
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

In hindsight, it really is a blessing that this and the Skull Island show were never going to be on HBO Max.

Added in 1 minute 13 seconds:
Gojira2K wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:08 pm

Genuine question, why do you think Disney wouldn’t bother with Godzilla or Kong?
Disney doesn’t seem to like being involved in movies that they don’t have a full stake in.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Keep Disney the fuck away from Godzilla. Say what you want about the Monsterverse, but at least it treats it’s title characters with the respect they deserve

Godzilla is an absolute tank in the Monsterverse, as he should be. He’s a rightfully badass force of nature. Meanwhile Disney continues nerfing all sorts of beloved characters left and right, particularly in regards to Marvel

They turned fucking Hulk into some overly-muscular nerd. And turned Thor into a clown. Godzilla is right at home with Legendary and WB
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Gojira2K wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:08 pm Genuine question, why do you think Disney wouldn’t bother with Godzilla or Kong?
Fact is Disney already has a lots of characters there already expanding on, getting ready to introduce and setting up for the future for the next 10 years and neither Godzilla or Kong are part of it.

An while both Godzilla and Kong are well known iconic characters currently neither of there solo films have surpassed 600$ million yet, we can really only estimate how much GvK would have made if Covid and HBO MAX wasn't a thing. So unless they were going to have a major role in multiple Marvel films leading up to or an Avengers movie it's unlikely Disney would want to make any sort of deal with Toho/Legendary.

Remember they also dropped the Chronicles of Narnia series after the 2nd film Prince Caspian underperformed and that made more than KOTM at the box office.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:46 am Keep Disney the fuck away from Godzilla. Say what you want about the Monsterverse, but at least it treats it’s title characters with the respect they deserve

Godzilla is an absolute tank in the Monsterverse, as he should be. He’s a rightfully badass force of nature. Meanwhile Disney continues nerfing all sorts of beloved characters left and right, particularly in regards to Marvel

They turned fucking Hulk into some overly-muscular nerd. And turned Thor into a clown. Godzilla is right at home with Legendary and WB
Do you really think Disney even gives a shit about Godzilla?

Disney's MO is to outright buy IPs they want to make money off of. Toho ain't selling and Disney doesn't care. Godzilla doesn't make "Disney blockbuster" cash.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^The fact that they’ve had a rather unsuccessful year so far is karma if you ask me.

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:46 am They turned skreeonking Hulk into some overly-muscular nerd. And turned Thor into a clown. Godzilla is right at home with Legendary and WB
MCU fanboys popping a blood vessel when their imaginary green man does yoga and therapy instead of throwing cars.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:46 am ^The fact that they’ve had a rather unsuccessful year so far is karma if you ask me.
Still miles better than the shitshow happening at WB right now.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

If Legendary were to find a new partner for the MonsterVerse, it probably wouldn’t be Disney. Again, Disney doesn’t seem to care for IP’s that they don’t have full ownership of. Besides, they already have more than enough on their plate. I don’t see where kaiju movies would fit into their plans.

It also seems pretty safe to assume that Universal wouldn’t be an option either, as they already had a falling out with Legendary. In terms of the Big Five Hollywood studios, that leaves Sony and Paramount. Frankly though, I think it’s more likely that Legendary would just move on to Netflix or Apple.
Last edited by Garzon on Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:56 am
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:46 am ^The fact that they’ve had a rather unsuccessful year so far is karma if you ask me.
I wouldn't call Disney unsuccessful just because their films haven't hit 1B. The MCU is more or less restarting right now.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:53 am
Legion1979 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:56 am
I wouldn't call Disney unsuccessful just because their films haven't hit 1B. The MCU is more or less restarting right now.
Based on Comic Con, they seem to more or less know where they are going now, so it might pick up quality a little more going forward.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*