Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Re: New Godzilla Series On Apple TV+

Post by CyberZilla »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:58 am So Matt Shakman who directed the first 2 episodes of this series plus is an Executive Producer on it is in talks to direct Marvel’s “Fantastic Four” movie.

Why is this relevant? Because I think it speaks to his level of work and shows that we’ve got great talent working on this series.
Shakman also did some work for Marvel via WandaVision. The show is overall good despite certain elements not working, so l’m optimistic about his involvement.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:35 am
Titanus_Rodan wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:58 am So Matt Shakman who directed the first 2 episodes of this series plus is an Executive Producer on it is in talks to direct Marvel’s “Fantastic Four” movie.

Why is this relevant? Because I think it speaks to his level of work and shows that we’ve got great talent working on this series.
that apple money must be real nice
They were able to fund Prehistoric Planet, which has some of the best CGI I've ever seen, so I imagine they're not scarce on cash.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

GojiSquid wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:26 pmThey were able to fund Prehistoric Planet, which has some of the best CGI I've ever seen, so I imagine they're not scarce on cash.
Eh, Prehistoric Planet also had some pretty sketchy CGI here and there, and blatantly saved money by reusing dinosaur models as often as possible. They didn't spend more than necessary on that show.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:44 am
GojiSquid wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:26 pmThey were able to fund Prehistoric Planet, which has some of the best CGI I've ever seen, so I imagine they're not scarce on cash.
Eh, Prehistoric Planet also had some pretty sketchy CGI here and there, and blatantly saved money by reusing dinosaur models as often as possible. They didn't spend more than necessary on that show.
While there were some sketch shots here and there (mostly in relation to situations of dim lighting, like the sea and the ashfield, which is the same problem that plagues KOTM's visuals), the grand total ranged from "hey, this is really good cgi" to "I would seriously belive that this is a puppet/animatronic if the animation of the eyes didn't give it away".

Also, which models did they reuse?

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

GojiSquid wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:22 pm
While there were some sketch shots here and there (mostly in relation to situations of dim lighting, like the sea and the ashfield, which is the same problem that plagues KOTM's visuals), the grand total ranged from "hey, this is really good cgi" to "I would seriously belive that this is a puppet/animatronic if the animation of the eyes didn't give it away".

The only thing one that I can maybe think of is the Mosasaur model, but even that one I’m not sure. Either way Prehistoric Planet visual’s were absolutely stunning like 97.5% of the time.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Gojira2K wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:37 pm
GojiSquid wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:22 pm

The only thing one that I can maybe think of is the Mosasaur model, but even that one I’m not sure. Either way Prehistoric Planet visual’s were absolutely stunning like 97.5% of the time.
The Edmontosaurus and Quezalcoatlus are the only other obvious ones.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Whoops, forgot to reply. Yeah, the Edmontosaurus was probably the most obvious, and I think some of the generic sauropods, too. A lot of this stuff stood out to me when I was watching, but of course I'm foggy on it now that I'm trying to remember specifics weeks later, heh. The recurring appearances by T. rex and some other species, while legitimately well used, could also have been a cost saving measure.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:59 am https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/15 ... 4917388288

Added in 41 seconds:
...What am I even looking at? What's the point of releasing this? :lol:

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

Moogabunga wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:06 pm
BurningCoolMan wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:59 am https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/15 ... 4917388288

Added in 41 seconds:
...What am I even looking at? What's the point of releasing this? :lol:
It's effectively pre-marketing buzz, similar to how film crews on othe projects will release set pics. Keeps a bit of hype afloat while their still in production.

I don't know if any of the details mean anything, but just for fun, the pictures in the top left seem to depict a cityscape/hill, an ocean, ancient ruins/mountain, and a bird's eye view of a bay that I don't recognize. The book hidden beneath the glasses has the word "MONO" on the cover, and I can make out the letters "AUG" on the CD, which might mean that the rest of the word is "AUGUST".

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Makes show about giant monsters starring Kurt Russell….releases first official image and it’s of a bag. Yeah, seems about right.
Last edited by king_ghidorah on Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:42 pm Makes show about giant monsters starring Kurt Russell….releases first official image and it’s of a bag. Yeah, seems about right.
The fact that details are fairly limited, along with what we know about how expensive big CGI monsters would be within the context of a TV series, has me holding any expectations at arm's length before we're told/shown more. We just don't have enough info for me to expect weekly Titan battles (nor is that inherently necessary for it to be good, but if it's a mystery-thriller set in the MV universe that'll disappoint a lot of people).
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Minor detail, but note that the calculator on the left is a Japanese one. You can make out hiragana and katakana there.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

The top left photo is a Titan trail through Arctic sea ice. The middle one is a volcanic crater. The one on the right is a forest that’s been burned.

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

Apparently Christopher Heyerdahl will be playing a character known as Puckett:
https://mobile.twitter.com/KDM_Monsters ... -znbgrAAAA
Last edited by GojiSquid on Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

I wonder who they'll get to compose?

MegaGoji
Ronin

Post by MegaGoji »

I hope it's Alexandre Desplat again.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Workaholics actor Anders Holm has officially joined the cast.

His character is being kept under wraps (like most of the show in general), but I wouldn't be shocked at all if he ends up playing a young Bill Randa.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/apple- ... 235391270/

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

never mind
Last edited by BurningCoolMan on Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

MegaGoji wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:44 pm I hope it's Alexandre Desplat again.
mysterious thriller main theme from 2014 in the background