Godzilla Singular Point Pro and Con

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Godzilla Singular Point Pro and Con

Post by Legion1979 »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:11 pm The fact that it's been about a year and a half, and I can barely remember this show, says just about everything I think. There were some neat ideas for sure but nothing that "WOW"-ed me. At least it was a lot more watchable than the anime trilogy. That being said, it suffers from the same core problems: an over-complicated storyline and, as several people have aptly put in this thread, way the hell too much "technobabble."

Why have both recent Godzilla anime releases felt the need to be Evangelion-esq, "you need a PhD in pseudoscience to understand this shit," exposition-dump-driven, tedious slogs that drown in their own pretentiousness? Why, why, why, why can we not just get a goddamn good animated kaiju fight? I'm not asking for that to be every episode, either, because that would be fucking tedious, too. Just one good fight spanning the last episode would've done it for me. All I want out of a Godzilla anime is an engaging but simple-to-follow storyline, some decent human characters and a few cool action scenes. I'll never understand why both the anime trilogy and this show tried (and failed) to be highbrow sci-fi dramas which barely even feature Godzilla.
And yet people want to do thought exercises about what a Reiwa DAM/GFW could be. Toho clearly doesn't know wtf they're doing with Godzilla even in something as sure thing as an anime.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

CamtheGodzillafan wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:14 pm We have no idea what happened to Ultima or JJ or Salunga (We don't know if Gabara's cooler cousin is alive or not, because that guy can take some hits)
I thought we did, though. Godzilla got banished to whatever universe he came from, Salunga's definitely still alive (the fucker's established to be ridiculously unkillable), and Jet Jaguar's either banished with Godzilla or he's dead as dead can be and banished with Godzilla. Ig you're gonna die right, you better die while hurtling yourself through universes with your mortal enemy. :huge: :JetJaguar:

(Although it'd be cool if Season 2 revealed he downloaded his AI into another machine so Otaki could rebuild him someday...)
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:51 pm
CamtheGodzillafan wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:14 pm We have no idea what happened to Ultima or JJ or Salunga (We don't know if Gabara's cooler cousin is alive or not, because that guy can take some hits)
I thought we did, though. Godzilla got banished to whatever universe he came from, Salunga's definitely still alive (the fucker's established to be ridiculously unkillable), and Jet Jaguar's either banished with Godzilla or he's dead as dead can be and banished with Godzilla. Ig you're gonna die right, you better die while hurtling yourself through universes with your mortal enemy. :huge: :JetJaguar:

(Although it'd be cool if Season 2 revealed he downloaded his AI into another machine so Otaki could rebuild him someday...)
True, but we don't know exactly what happened.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

You need to log in to read the article.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:47 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:56 pm Here ya go:
https://www.nytimes. com/2019/05/08/science/quantum-physics-time.html
You need to log in to read the article.
Nothing a 12 foot ladder could bypass (12ft dot io).

The article is talking about how a few years ago a quantum computer was able to time travel, backwards, for a millionth of a second, an elementary particle.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:14 pm Pros:
- Unique premise and concept that further showcases how Toho is willing to diversify the franchise these days.
- Great animation and visual style.
- Cool and unique monster redesigns/reimaginings.
- Enjoyable and diverse assortment of characters.
- Fantastic music including the best recording of the Godzilla March to date.

Cons:
- Overly complex narrative.
- Rapid/extensive dialogue that can be missed if watching subbed.
- Expansive cast means some characters end up feeling underutilized.
- Very little resolution to some of the series' set-ups, which might be remedied with a second season but as of right now this counts.
I think this sums up my thoughts rather well, but to add one thing.

Cons:
- Little character growth (Especially the main 2 characters) or change of the diverse set of characters

JJ really is the only exception to that con as most characters just don't have any compelling arcs. Their designs are mostly fantastic, but due to the complexity of the narrative, I can't say any of them have a moment, excluding JJ, to really steal the show on an emotional level. Goro probably comes the closest human wise, but even he can't hold a candle to other anime moments like Reigen being told by Mob he's a good person, Kirishima's S4 unbreakable moment or Edward Elric outsmarting Truth.

Shows that can get me to root for the character or shed a tear for a character, can easily win me over even with flaws. Singular Point just didn't and I'm hoping season 2 can really give those characters moments to shine.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Characters don't always have to 'grow,' y'know? The humans are pretty much static characters while JJ gets an arc, which for a story like SP I think works perfectly fine.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.