GODZILLA VS MIGHTY MORPHING POWER RANGERS

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
UltramanGoji

Re: GODZILLA VS MIGHTY MORPHING POWER RANGERS

Post by UltramanGoji »

shadowgigan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:02 am
UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:30 am Crazy first issue. Almost surreal, even. I liked that it included a bunch of different things from both universes, not just the title characters and one or two enemies. Damn fun read, excited for the next few. Hopefully we get a TPB out of this.

How long was it? I may try and pick it up today.
Few pages or so. Not lengthy but action-packed.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

shadowgigan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:02 am
UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:30 am Crazy first issue. Almost surreal, even. I liked that it included a bunch of different things from both universes, not just the title characters and one or two enemies. Damn fun read, excited for the next few. Hopefully we get a TPB out of this.

How long was it? I may try and pick it up today.
About 20 pages
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:01 am Trade paperback. Collection of all the issues. I'm worried the dual company situation may not get us one.
It's already up for pre order on amazon.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:37 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:01 am Trade paperback. Collection of all the issues. I'm worried the dual company situation may not get us one.
Yeah, there’s almost always TPBs for comics nowadays, especially crossovers. They can put them in bookstores and get people who don’t frequent comic shops to buy it then. Batman/Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters/Ninja Turtles, etc.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Spoiler?

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Got to the comic book shop pretty late and grabbed the last two variants they had left. Hopefully that's a good indication that it's selling well.

Mild spoilers: Solid start, I appreciate that they got right to the Godzilla vs. Dragonzord battle in the very first issue, though the covers indicated as much. Even as someone who isn't a big Power Rangers fan, I feel like the series is still pretty accessible and easy to put the pieces together as to who's who. I mean, it helps that the characters are pretty much just stock good-hearted heroes and despicable villains to begin with. ;) But I already like Rita and her little troupe of monstrous minions, and I hope the Rangers themselves can get more focus in the next issue. Love the art, too, its absolutely fantastic. Lots of detail and care put into it all, very beautiful.

I liked it more than I was expecting. It all fits together much more naturally than I would've thought, and you already got a good sense of where they're going to go with some of the main ideas. Agree with UltramanGoji, its cool to see them implementing so much from either franchise; when the series was first announced, I only expected Godzilla to show up, so its wonderful to see them really playing with the best of both worlds already.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:44 pm I liked it more than I was expecting. It all fits together much more naturally than I would've thought, and you already got a good sense of where they're going to go with some of the main ideas. Agree with UltramanGoji, its cool to see them implementing so much from either franchise; when the series was first announced, I only expected Godzilla to show up, so its wonderful to see them really playing with the best of both worlds already.
Absolutely agree with all of what you wrote. I hope it keeps up this pace and consistency. To be blunt, I’ve never been a power rangers fan, and while this won’t make me love them, I can appreciate them a lot more based on this. I really like Rita, and some of the monsters accompanying her offer a nice variety. I also really like how they interact with the other “human” characters in the comic.
Spoiler:
I know they’ve appeared in other Godzilla comics recently, but I’m so happy the Xilliens are making a comeback. I think my favorite part of the issue was Rita talking to the Xilliens and being disappointed that the Xilliens couldn’t create monsters, only control them. Those kinds of discussions are fun. I wonder if Rita and the Xilliens will work together, or if they’ll betray each other. I also wonder if the story will be contained to this narrative/cast of characters, or if we’ll get more Toho/Godzilla mainstays.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:37 pm
Nice, I missed the announcement.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Random question, but does anybody have any info on this variant cover? Its listed in the cover gallery at the end of the comic, but I haven't seen any info on it anywhere. Probably some sort of store exclusive.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

While I really like that cover's artwork, I must admit I'm not a fan of how effortlessly Godzilla seems to be shredding the Dragonzord with his claws. I mean, good lord, the Zords aren't made out of aluminum foil. :lol:
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

TitanoGoji16 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:45 pm While I really like that cover's artwork, I must admit I'm not a fan of how effortlessly Godzilla seems to be shredding the Dragonzord with his claws. I mean, good lord, the Zords aren't made out of aluminum foil. :lol:
I mean it’s accurate to how the fight plays out
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Having read issue #1 last night, I can definitely say that this series is off to a great start. In regards to the artwork, I really like Freddie Williams III's take on Megalon. I wish we got a longer fight between Godzilla and the Dragonzord though.
Last edited by Leviarex on Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Leviarex wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:45 pm Having read issue #1 last night, I can definitely say that this series is off to a great start. In regards to the artwork, I really like Freddie Williams III's take on Megalon. I wish we got a longer fight between Godzilla and the Dragonzord though.
I'm sure it'll continue a little in the next issue, along with the other power-rangers.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

You know, I've always viewed Power Rangers as this kind of relic of my childhood. I still have a special place in my heart for The Green Ranger and the Dragonzord (I bought the Super7 Green Ranger and Dragonzord). But Power Rangers have been killing it, in the comics! I was shocked when I read the first 12 issues of the Boom! Studios run. I've had fun with their crossovers since. I liked the Power Rangers vs. Justice League, I loved the Power Rangers vs. TMNT run, and now this is cool! I wasn't blown away, but it's first issue, it's a good set up AND they gave us Godzilla vs. Dragonzord in the first comic. I love it!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Given how the “Next Issue” teaser shows the rangers defeated and godzilla being just fine, I’m guessing Godzilla beats the Megazord too.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:22 am Given how the “Next Issue” teaser shows the rangers defeated and godzilla being just fine, I’m guessing Godzilla beats the Megazord too.
Should be worth noting that Godzilla's spines have a red lightning behind them and Rita's staff is glowing the same Red as when she tried to use her magic on Godzilla.
Probably found a way to do it, or she gave some power to Godzilla to help fighting the combined Megazord. or - nothign at all because it was all asthetic. The posing of the shot would say otherwise that she did find a loophole to (temporarily?) exploit.

I'm wondering if the Xiliens notice Rita's power but her rather openess and will exploit it to use Rita's minions, Finster in particular to use his power to craft a King Ghidorah whos secretly loyal to the Xiliens and not Rita.

In all I dig the first issue, and the art style I always liked but its growing on me more. Godzilla kinda looks like early IDW in shape in some shots. Granted Godzilla is a tough design, even if its "generic Heisei". In some shots look like a nice throwback to Dark Horse and Trendmasters. Close ups are lovely especially the eye shot and the wide angle shots being nicely done. Glad to muhboi Heisei come back :3
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Spoiler:
so with the news that the rangers and godzilla will in fact be teaming up, I’m wondering how each side is going to figure out the motivations of one another. I’m also curious about how the rangers will learn his name, not like he can introduce himself.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Issue #5:
Godzilla vs The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #5
Cullen Bunn (w) • Freddie Williams II (a & ca)
Godzilla and the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers have faced a host of terrible foes. Now, though, they face their greatest challenge—the mighty King Ghidorah! Can the “teenagers with attitude” and the King of the Monsters put aside their differences long enough to survive an attack from the three-headed tyrant? Find out in the bombastic conclusion to the most colossal crossover event of the year!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
In Shops: July 27, 2022
Godzilla vs The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #5—Cover B: Fatima Wajid
Godzilla vs The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #5—RI Cover: Freddie Williams II (10 copy incentive)

Alright, this is the cutest comic cover I've ever seen. Too creative and too adorable. <3

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Spoiler:
And the Godzilla vs Megazord fight was a draw, lame

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

So, over the last month I've grown particularly fond of the first issue of this series and was worried the next issue might not be able to hold up as well, but rest assured, issue #2 is every bit as wonderful as #1. I can't believe how much I'm enjoying this series, this has got to be one of my favorite projects IDW has undertaken.

Absolute mastery of pacing in this series, both on Bunn's part in the writing and Williams' part with how he divides the panels and pages. We're only two issues in, but there's already been so, so many developments that it feels like we're much deeper into the series than we are. Granted, this issue was a bit lighter on monster action, but we do get two separate battles in this issue alone, and both were satisfactory to me. The super tight pace and the somewhat campy, overly explanatory dialogue from our campy characters gel well. They throw a lot at you, including numerous references to Power Rangers franchise things I know little about, but once again its easy enough to follow. And the art remains beautifully detailed - though was that blue blood coming out of Godzilla?

This comic is so much better than it has any right to be. Really excited for the next one!