GODZILLA VS MIGHTY MORPHING POWER RANGERS

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: GODZILLA VS MIGHTY MORPHING POWER RANGERS

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I really enjoyed the finale but it but it felt rushed and short
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:55 pm I really enjoyed the finale but it but it felt rushed and short
It’s strange how well paced issues 1-3 are. Then 4 and 5 feel like they had a lot planned and quickly realized they needed to get to the ending.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

So, it's finished at last. Can't wait for the trade paperback!

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Once again a tad late here (this time on account of being in the hospital), but I got the issue today. Greatly enjoyed it, though I definitely echo everyone else's comments about a fairly rushed conclusion. Nonetheless, we got to everything we needed to get to, I would say, so I loved it!

I've seen a lot of rushed finales in my time, and often they leave a lot of questions lingering in the air, but this one at least covered pretty much everything it needed to. Of course, this meant some cool elements get lost in the shuffle, such as what I already complained about on the previous page with Rita's monsters being dispatched so abruptly. Similarly, it took so long for the Dragonzord to return but we didn't get much out of him. Ghidorah was still great though, the closest we've had to a proper Showa "final boss" Ghidorah these comics have given us. The series overall had a few decent twists, though as I and others have said a few times, I don't think anyone was really expecting anything terribly deep or any engaging plots out of a gimmicky crossover like this. They set out to deliver a good time, and God bless 'em they delivered exactly that. Completely agree with Kaijukurt, if they ever brought Bunn back for a sequel series or anything else Godzilla, I'm on board.

Art remains thoroughly on-point, even with the occasional odd shot. The scene of the Dragonzord rising up was magnificent, as is the consistently wonderful expressions on our characters (adore that shot of Scorpina and Goldar clinging to each other in terror; might be my favorite panel of the issue). You get a lot of artists who can draw great monsters and destruction, but some have difficulties with conveying a lot of emotions in their characters, but this has never been a struggle for Williams II. Incredible art overall, some of the best, most detailed work we've gotten out of any of these Godzilla comics. Williams II outdid himself, I would greatly enjoy seeing him return for future Big G comics; even just covers would be wonderful.

A few more spoilery thoughts:
Spoiler:
As someone who isn't super-duper well-versed in Power Rangers lore, I forgot about the Mega Dragonzord being a possibility so I was briefly surprised. Must also admit that he looks a little bit silly to me since they just plop the Dragonzord's head right on top of the Megazord. :lol: Still cool to see though.

Almost would've preferred seeing the Xiliens escape as they intended, because I agree with everyone else that they were just kind of there for a while and never did too much. Was kind of hoping, once the tide turned against them, Rita would try to order them to evacuate only for them to kick her off their ship and abandon her. "Get the last laugh". It is what it is though.

Liked Godzilla turning on the Mega Dragonzord one last time. I've always been fond of Godzilla making allies and showing "respect" for others (like Anguirus in Legends #1), but I love nearly mindless, Hulk-like, rage-filled Godzilla just as much. Always down for a Godzilla that knows nothing but chaos!

While most things were reasonably predictable, that final page absolutely threw me for a loop; what an "epilogue"! I can't believe a Godzilla and Power Rangers comic gave us what's probably the first proper depiction of a "Godzilla multiverse". Mental. Absolutely a concept that should be explored now that various comic book movies from Marvel and DC are popularizing the idea. I've already seen people suggest they do it with a movie, but I was never crazy about that (and doubt Toho would go that way honestly); I think a smaller affair like a comic miniseries might work best, be it a sequel to this comic or something unrelated.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:18 am
Spoiler:
Everyone teaming up against Ghidorah, was fun, albeit predictable. I don’t mind the Power Rangers monsters losing so easily; it’s been fun having King Ghidorah be a big bad again and wipe the floor with a bunch of monsters. It does make some of the series feel really rushed however. I don’t know much about Goldar, but I’d assume he’d have a bigger threat or role. Like Scoprina, and other creatures, they’re sort of pushed to the side. I do have to say, I prefer Ghidorah getting a very decent amount of showing over two issues instead of just being a monster that appears at the very end.
Spoiler:
Was thinking about this myself, too; disappointed supersized Goldar never really put up any fight. Still, he certainly proved himself as "the muscle" in previous issues, so not a huge issue for me.

100% agree about Ghidorah though, he was wonderful in this series. Easily the best comic depiction since Half-Century War, and even better here than there.
While the series has had its fair share of flaws, I'd be lying if I said it didn't end up being a favorite of mine. I really appreciate having a more lighthearted series that prioritized a good time over all else; the stakes were high, but the purposefully corny dialogue and gimmicky nature of crossovers in general kept it feeling light and breezy, which I love. A great series overall, a unique experiment for the franchise, I'm open to anything else IDW throws our way!
Last edited by Shenanigans on Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Must admit I'm a bit surprised at the lack of convo after the last issue came out, especially with that surprising ending, but then again, these forums aren't as lively as they used to be.

Anyways, the trade is finally out for those who've waited for it. The final pages also include some character sketches; its nothing that can't be found online but I nonetheless always appreciate when they throw in a few "extras".

Reflecting on the series as a whole, I really can't say more than what I've already said about each individual issue; this was a really fun series, though I would advise going into it expecting anymore than sheer popcorn entertainment. Much like the Monsterverse, it prioritizes monster action and pure chaos above all else, which is hardly a bad thing here.

I'll acknowledge that, back in the earlier days of IDW's Godzilla run, I was rather relieved to hear Toho barred any and all crossovers largely because I wasn't interested in any of IDW's other properties (although I was never necessarily opposed to a Transformers crossover...). When this crossover was announced last year, I was pretty indifferent; Power Rangers had a very minor presence in my childhood so I wasn't completely in the dark about the franchise, but I was never much of a PR fan in any sense. But man, the series ended up being a blast - an absolute thrill start to finish.

In short - a high mark of IDW's long and varied Godzilla journey, so much so that I'm actually a lot more open to other crossovers, though preferably something that's reasonably compatible with Godzilla. Power Rangers, being a fellow tokusatsu sci-fi/fantasy franchise with loads of monsters, was in hindsight a very fitting franchise to cross over with, perhaps more so than anything else they can come up with. Still, I think I'll be open to anything else they want to try out.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Marvel's got Ultraman, which seems like a no-brainer for a crossover, but I don't know whether Toho and Tsuburaya can play nice, never mind Marvel and IDW.

But of course, my dream remains Godzilla vs. Transformers, which, given Hasbro's involvement in Power Rangers, seems like it's at least a possibility.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Everyone's forgetting the even BETTER crossover with Hasbro. Godzilla vs The Inhumanoids vs The Transformers.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:36 am In short - a high mark of IDW's long and varied Godzilla journey, so much so that I'm actually a lot more open to other crossovers, though preferably something that's reasonably compatible with Godzilla. Power Rangers, being a fellow tokusatsu sci-fi/fantasy franchise with loads of monsters, was in hindsight a very fitting franchise to cross over with, perhaps more so than anything else they can come up with. Still, I think I'll be open to anything else they want to try out.
Fully agree with all your thoughts here. I was sort of always against crossovers until this.

But...I've been saying it for years, and I'll say it again!

Star Trek X Godzilla!

Spacegodzilla and Crystalline Entity! Borgified King Ghidorah as MKG! Cosmos/Elias innnn spaceeee! Klingons and Space M Hunter! Romulans and Xilliens! Trek Ships versus space monsters in space! Lots of things you could do if given a chance to run wild with it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:02 am
Shenanigans wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:36 am In short - a high mark of IDW's long and varied Godzilla journey, so much so that I'm actually a lot more open to other crossovers, though preferably something that's reasonably compatible with Godzilla. Power Rangers, being a fellow tokusatsu sci-fi/fantasy franchise with loads of monsters, was in hindsight a very fitting franchise to cross over with, perhaps more so than anything else they can come up with. Still, I think I'll be open to anything else they want to try out.
Fully agree with all your thoughts here. I was sort of always against crossovers until this.

But...I've been saying it for years, and I'll say it again!

Star Trek X Godzilla!

Spacegodzilla and Crystalline Entity! Borgified King Ghidorah as MKG! Cosmos/Elias innnn spaceeee! Klingons and Space M Hunter! Romulans and Xilliens! Trek Ships versus space monsters in space! Lots of things you could do if given a chance to run wild with it.
It still drives me insane we were *this* close to a Star Trek TNG/Aliens crossover - covers were drawn! - before it got poopcanned.

The Star Trek / Transformers crossover was really fun.

It also still really bugs me that Toho vetoed a "Mars Attacks Godzilla" - that would have been amazing.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Not opposed to a Star Trek crossover despite being a Star Wars guy, but seeing the above art makes me realize I hadn't even considered an Alien crossover before. Being a big Alien fan, that is one crossover I'd actively campaign for if it had a chance. Unfortunately I think the Alien comic rights are with Marvel now? Shame because the Xenomorphs used to crossover with everything back in the day.

But man, think about a Xenomorph-Godzilla hybrid. Matt Frank already did art for one! Make it happen IDW!

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:36 am Must admit I'm a bit surprised at the lack of convo after the last issue came out, especially with that surprising ending, but then again, these forums aren't as lively as they used to be.

Anyways, the trade is finally out for those who've waited for it. The final pages also include some character sketches; its nothing that can't be found online but I nonetheless always appreciate when they throw in a few "extras".

Reflecting on the series as a whole, I really can't say more than what I've already said about each individual issue; this was a really fun series, though I would advise going into it expecting anymore than sheer popcorn entertainment. Much like the Monsterverse, it prioritizes monster action and pure chaos above all else, which is hardly a bad thing here.

I'll acknowledge that, back in the earlier days of IDW's Godzilla run, I was rather relieved to hear Toho barred any and all crossovers largely because I wasn't interested in any of IDW's other properties (although I was never necessarily opposed to a Transformers crossover...). When this crossover was announced last year, I was pretty indifferent; Power Rangers had a very minor presence in my childhood so I wasn't completely in the dark about the franchise, but I was never much of a PR fan in any sense. But man, the series ended up being a blast - an absolute thrill start to finish.

In short - a high mark of IDW's long and varied Godzilla journey, so much so that I'm actually a lot more open to other crossovers, though preferably something that's reasonably compatible with Godzilla. Power Rangers, being a fellow tokusatsu sci-fi/fantasy franchise with loads of monsters, was in hindsight a very fitting franchise to cross over with, perhaps more so than anything else they can come up with. Still, I think I'll be open to anything else they want to try out.
Well said and I agree 100%. This was one of biggest, most pleasant surprises from IDW, whose comics I have a love-hate relationship with (*HATED* the Powell-Marsh Kingdom of Monsters garbage, *LOVED* Half-Century War, *HATED* Oblivion, *LOVED* Rage Across Time, Enjoyed but did not love Rulers of Earth, Gangsters & Goliaths, Godzilla in Hell, and Cataclysm, *LOVE* the current Godzilla Rivals vs series, *HATED* Monsters & Protectors, found G: Legends and HGM just "meh"). Definitely a mixed bag of the good, bad, and the ugly.

As someone who could give two flying you-know-whats about Power Rangers and couldn't tell you jack snot about anything MMPR related, I rolled my eyes when I heard this crossover announced. I too am not a fan of crossovers (the Dark Hourse Hero Zero / Charles Barkley and Marvel 70s Avengers crossovers were beyond cringe X_X ), but I like Freddie Williams' artwork and decided to give it a go...and had an absolute blast with this series :KingGhidorah64: It had some serious 70s Showa vibes and never got boring. And you don't need to know anything about MMPR to get engaged in the story. Overall, great stuff from Bunn and Williams.:thumbsup:

Would love to Freddie Williams work on another G title in the near future :Anguirus:
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)