GODZILLA VS MIGHTY MORPHING POWER RANGERS

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: GODZILLA VS MIGHTY MORPHING POWER RANGERS

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Shenanigans wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:59 pm So, over the last month I've grown particularly fond of the first issue of this series and was worried the next issue might not be able to hold up as well, but rest assured, issue #2 is every bit as wonderful as #1. I can't believe how much I'm enjoying this series, this has got to be one of my favorite projects IDW has undertaken.

Absolute mastery of pacing in this series, both on Bunn's part in the writing and Williams' part with how he divides the panels and pages. We're only two issues in, but there's already been so, so many developments that it feels like we're much deeper into the series than we are. Granted, this issue was a bit lighter on monster action, but we do get two separate battles in this issue alone, and both were satisfactory to me. The super tight pace and the somewhat campy, overly explanatory dialogue from our campy characters gel well. They throw a lot at you, including numerous references to Power Rangers franchise things I know little about, but once again its easy enough to follow. And the art remains beautifully detailed - though was that blue blood coming out of Godzilla?

This comic is so much better than it has any right to be. Really excited for the next one!
I really enjoyed it as well even if the result of the first battle disappointed me
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Shenanigans wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:59 pm So, over the last month I've grown particularly fond of the first issue of this series and was worried the next issue might not be able to hold up as well, but rest assured, issue #2 is every bit as wonderful as #1. I can't believe how much I'm enjoying this series, this has got to be one of my favorite projects IDW has undertaken.

Absolute mastery of pacing in this series, both on Bunn's part in the writing and Williams' part with how he divides the panels and pages. We're only two issues in, but there's already been so, so many developments that it feels like we're much deeper into the series than we are. Granted, this issue was a bit lighter on monster action, but we do get two separate battles in this issue alone, and both were satisfactory to me. The super tight pace and the somewhat campy, overly explanatory dialogue from our campy characters gel well. They throw a lot at you, including numerous references to Power Rangers franchise things I know little about, but once again its easy enough to follow. And the art remains beautifully detailed - though was that blue blood coming out of Godzilla?

This comic is so much better than it has any right to be. Really excited for the next one!

I haven't read issue 2 yet, but power rangers has a very good track record when it comes to comics. Both the Ninja Turtles and Justice League crossovers were solid reads and the MMPR cast focused comics have all had solid runs. The non MMPR character comics (the psycho path and Sins of the future) have had mixed reviews, but the rest has had solid story telling and Character development. Plus IDW knows that the target audience has grown up some so the dialogue isn't juvenile. Lord Zedd is more like his serious evil characterization, Rita is intelligent, and Scorpina and Goldar are pretty much evil klingons.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

New cover for issue #3 has been revealed. Once again it shows off multiple Toho and Power Rangers monsters, so I'll spoiler it just in case.
Spoiler:

Just me or is Kumonga looking super creepy there?
darthzilla99 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:10 pm I haven't read issue 2 yet, but power rangers has a very good track record when it comes to comics. Both the Ninja Turtles and Justice League crossovers were solid reads and the MMPR cast focused comics have all had solid runs. The non MMPR character comics (the psycho path and Sins of the future) have had mixed reviews, but the rest has had solid story telling and Character development. Plus IDW knows that the target audience has grown up some so the dialogue isn't juvenile. Lord Zedd is more like his serious evil characterization, Rita is intelligent, and Scorpina and Goldar are pretty much evil klingons.
Its interesting you bring up the level of maturity, because I'll admit I've always thought of Power Rangers as a more kid-friendly franchise and expected this crossover to have that "for kids"/kiddie-sort of vibe. So I was a little surprised that the very first pages feature Rita standing over the corpses of innocent monks she slaughtered. But, they struck a damn-near perfect tone with this series, somewhat light-hearted but with a certain edge of darkness/seriousness that makes it gripping. I love the Power Rangers repeatedly being shocked by the raw power of the kaiju they face; they're in dire straits in this realm.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:37 am New cover for issue #3 has been revealed. Once again it shows off multiple Toho and Power Rangers monsters, so I'll spoiler it just in case.
Spoiler:

Just me or is Kumonga looking super creepy there?
darthzilla99 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:10 pm I haven't read issue 2 yet, but power rangers has a very good track record when it comes to comics. Both the Ninja Turtles and Justice League crossovers were solid reads and the MMPR cast focused comics have all had solid runs. The non MMPR character comics (the psycho path and Sins of the future) have had mixed reviews, but the rest has had solid story telling and Character development. Plus IDW knows that the target audience has grown up some so the dialogue isn't juvenile. Lord Zedd is more like his serious evil characterization, Rita is intelligent, and Scorpina and Goldar are pretty much evil klingons.
Its interesting you bring up the level of maturity, because I'll admit I've always thought of Power Rangers as a more kid-friendly franchise and expected this crossover to have that "for kids"/kiddie-sort of vibe. So I was a little surprised that the very first pages feature Rita standing over the corpses of innocent monks she slaughtered. But, they struck a damn-near perfect tone with this series, somewhat light-hearted but with a certain edge of darkness/seriousness that makes it gripping. I love the Power Rangers repeatedly being shocked by the raw power of the kaiju they face; they're in dire straits in this realm.
The Tone and maturity level of the idw comics is about the same level as the average MCU film (though Bulk and Skull and Babu and Squat do get min-issue noncannon stories that are more like the kiddie shows). So it's not edgelored dark or anything. Just to give a taste of topics in the idw comics:
1. Tommy has ptsd from being mind controlled.
2. Lord Zedd forced Goldar to execute his own brother to prove his loyalty to Lord Zedd as part of Goldars backstory. Goldars brother thought Zedd was a weak leader and tried to overthrow him.
3. Jason used to be a bully and is trying to atone for his past, which is why he fights bulk and Skull.
4. Finster gets to be the main antagonist for a short time.
5. All of the MMPR characters get fleshed out including Adam, Aisha, and Rocky.
6. A second Green Dragon ranger is introduced during the Thunderzord era and both the Dragonzord and the White Tigerzord form a new megazord.

The comics aren't always perfect.
1. Even though the other rangers do get awesome screentime, Tommy is still overused alot. Just like how Godzilla fans complain that there's too much Ghidorah, Mothra, and Mechagodzilla, power ranger fans complain about too much Tommy (and MMPR in general).
2. Going with 1, Evil Tommy trope is overused. Lord Drakon is an excellent villain, but he is a Tommy who never turned good.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Questions for issue 3:
Spoiler:
I wonder if the insect monsters will be working with the Xilliens/Rita or if they will be a separate group, and actually fight the other monsters for some reason. It’s strange to me that it’s specifically three giant insects, and 6 against one seems massively unfair. That or Godzilla will come back and handle Gigan and the Power ranges monsters will the MMPR will stop the insects from eating people.

Also, yes Kumonga looks creepy. I wonder if it and Kamacuras will have a mild redesign or be more akin to their classical tone.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

The only part of the series that I haven't liked so far is
Spoiler:
the inconclusive fight in issue 2. It feels kinda cheap and I wish they picked a winner, even if it wasn't Godzilla.
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:11 pm The only part of the series that I haven't liked so far is
Spoiler:
the inconclusive fight in issue 2. It feels kinda cheap and I wish they picked a winner, even if it wasn't Godzilla.
I mean...
Spoiler:
By my reading, Godzilla seemed to lose. Their attacks clashed and Godzilla was knocked down and out, while the Megazord proved still able to be able to fight Gigan and Rita's monsters later in the issue.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

godjacob wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:29 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:11 pm The only part of the series that I haven't liked so far is
Spoiler:
I mean...
Spoiler:
By my reading, Godzilla seemed to lose. Their attacks clashed and Godzilla was knocked down and out, while the Megazord proved still able to be able to fight Gigan and Rita's monsters later in the issue.
Spoiler:
I think it was a tie. Both Godzilla and the rangers retreated equally when they started getting attacked by the ufos. The only reason why Megazord cameback sooner is because the rangers had to protect the refuges. Plus the Megazord is fighting at 70% after a short rest. I imagine Godzilla will be fresher when he returns

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Spoiler:
If Godzilla ran off right after that clash, then yeah, Megazord won. But still:

Keep in mind, the Megazord entered that battle fresh. Godzilla fought Megalon and the Dragonzord only a few moments earlier.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:30 pm
Spoiler:
If Godzilla ran off right after that clash, then yeah, Megazord won. But still:

Keep in mind, the Megazord entered that battle fresh. Godzilla fought Megalon and the Dragonzord only a few moments earlier.
Spoiler:
Both parties were unable to fight after the clash. Rita and the Xilians tried to take advantage of the situation afterwards. Godzilla left and the Megazord decombined.

Godzilla actually recovered first and swatted down a UFO, megazord couldn’t do anything after the clash. Both parties were heavily messed up and the villains took advantage, leading to an inconclusive draw
Added in 2 minutes 41 seconds:
godjacob wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:29 pm
Spoiler:
I mean...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Their zords had time to regenerate, they explicitly say that. And even then they say they’re still heavily damaged by the time they’re fighting Gigan. If they’re heavily damaged after the recovery period, they were fucked after the clash
Interestingly, you two are the first people I’ve found that came to this conclusion. Every review and discussion I’ve found agreed with my conclusion.
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Sun May 01, 2022 6:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

As far as the battle goes,
Spoiler:
While they still could have chosen a more definitive victor, both parties needed to withdraw for the purposes of the story and had to be handicapped as a result of the battle, so even if there was a "winner", I don't think it would've felt like much of a victory.

I get that sometimes ending in a draw can feel like a cop-out (and I'm glad that Godzilla vs. Kong didn't go that route), but I think it feels appropriate here.
I am quite curious to see what happens when they meet again though. Godzilla might not be quite so willing to suddenly play nice...
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:45 pm Questions for issue 3:
Spoiler:
I wonder if the insect monsters will be working with the Xilliens/Rita or if they will be a separate group, and actually fight the other monsters for some reason. It’s strange to me that it’s specifically three giant insects, and 6 against one seems massively unfair. That or Godzilla will come back and handle Gigan and the Power ranges monsters will the MMPR will stop the insects from eating people.

Also, yes Kumonga looks creepy. I wonder if it and Kamacuras will have a mild redesign or be more akin to their classical tone.
Spoiler:
Definitely a question I had as well, the fact that they're all bugs seems purposeful. I'm kinda thinking that they're going to be under Xilien control, and may have been chosen in-part to be comparatively weaker enemies that the Rangers can defeat on their own, possibly even in their own split-up Zords. Gigan may require some "assistance" though.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

I put a poll up to gauge the opinions on the result. So far it’s 3-2 between us who have already spoken
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Sun May 01, 2022 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Er where is this poll? Is it right in front of me here? Or just going off posts?

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

daveblackeye15 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:36 pm Er where is this poll? Is it right in front of me here? Or just going off posts?
I made it in a new thread on this forum section

Added in 30 seconds:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33036

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Oh got polls. Neat~

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:37 pm
daveblackeye15 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:36 pm Er where is this poll? Is it right in front of me here? Or just going off posts?
I made it in a new thread on this forum section

Added in 30 seconds:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33036
Oops, thanks.

rationalorphan
Ronin

Post by rationalorphan »

I can’t wait to see more. I think having an inconclusive battle just makes sense story wise when we’re not even really half way through the run. On another note, I think having the Showa monsters on display here are perfect for the kind of story this is, but I think spacegodzilla would be a perfect monster to throw into this kind of story. Maybe it’s just me but I feel like he fits there

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Got an Amazon notification that issue 4 won’t be out until July. I think it might have gotten delayed

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I just read issue 3 and it was good! Essentially just more fighting, but the action was good. There's some fun references to Godzilla vs. Gigan, and I like that moment Eye-Guy and Rhinoblaster had together. I'm unfamiliar with the Power Rangers monsters, so it was cool seeing Eye-guy fight Godzilla.
Spoiler:
I absolutely loved that double page with many more monsters, including Anguirus, Space Godzilla, Hedorah, and Rodan. a lot more than I expected. I wonder if they'll enter the fray.

I must admit, I'm a bit bothered by the fact that Megagurius and co only show up in the final two pages. I was expecting them to appear a lot sooner, but hey I was fine with the big brawl.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Issue #3 was another solid issue, although I feel like it may have been a tad weaker than the previous ones. However, given how strong the previous issues were, that does not mean this one was anything less than great anyways.

The pacing is still very well done; even for the most action-heavy issue yet, they still allow a few ever so brief lulls in between the madness to allow you to catch your breath a tiny little bit, because honestly the whole “nothing but action, action, action!” approach that some comics/stories utilize can grow tiresome pretty quickly. This series has so far walked the line unbelievably well. Very pleased that the monsters, especially Gigan, were not dispatched so easily either; the cover and the ending of the previous issue had me concerned that Gigan would get lost in the shuffle or bow out early on to make way for a host of other kaiju, so I’m relieved that wasn’t the case and he got a lot of focus (as did the other Power Rangers monsters from last issue, who weren’t pushovers either). Also particularly loved how Rhinoblaster and Eye-Guy were trading their typical pun-based mockeries during their attacks, but Gigan’s silent ruthlessness surprised them ("Guess he's not much for banter?"); :lol: that was funny, and a good way to illustrate the differences between the monsters of both worlds.

Some of the dialogue is starting to sound a bit repetitive, especially between the Green Ranger and Rita. Still, I adore how this series is handling Rita, especially art-wise. Honestly, she might be the most consistent as far as the art goes, as there’s rarely an off-looking panel from her. The same cannot be said for the rest of the issue; I think there may be a little bit of evidence of a time-crunch in effect here, as the art seems to be getting a little sloppier at times. Not as much detail in some of the panels here compared to the first issue. Though, I don’t know if it’s the art so much as the coloring at times; Rita’s vision scene was rad but some of the finer details on all those characters seem lost, and coloring may be to blame more than the inks.
Spoiler:
Poor Angy seems to have lost some spikes on his head that didn't get colored, not to mention his eyes.
I would like to stress, however, that the art is still positively amazing nonetheless.

Fun issue continuing a fun series! Its hard not to love the unique, creative, fast-paced rush that is this miniseries.

More spoilerly thoughts:
Spoiler:
I know a handful of Power Rangers monsters but I did not recognize any from that vision scene outside of the Pharoah guy. Either super-obscure or I don't know as many as I thought. Some freaky looking dudes in there, but pleased to see some familiar Toho faces.

Mystery of the bug theme has been solved – a bug-themed battalion to be led by the similarly bug-themed Scorpina. In hindsight, it should've been obvious. I also think its safe to say they will turn on her given what the Xiliens said about how uncontrollable they are...

Anguirus continues his streak of appearing in every single IDW comic series; he’s the only monster to do so outside of Godzilla (crazy, right? You’d think it’d be Ghidorah, or Mothra, or Mechagodzilla, but no, it’s Angy). He has yet to appear in any issue of Rivals, but given that’s an ongoing series, there’s still hope he’ll pop up in the future.
Oh yeah, and somebody at IDW fucked up the B Cover big-time. It was supposed to be a gatefold, but the back half is missing! So bizarre, I've seen stock photos advertising the whole thing, too. Also that fish-dude on that cover isn’t even in the issue, but maybe he’ll pop up later?