2024 - Godzilla's 70th, what do you expect/hope for?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

2024 - Godzilla's 70th, what do you expect/hope for?

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

It may seem a while away, but 2024 is really just around the corner. It'll bring the franchise to its 70th anniversary, a pretty big milestone considering the relative constant flow it has had over the better half of a century now. It really feels like just yesterday when we were excited to see what Toho would do for the series' 50th back in 2004. Really, every ten years has marked a solid "celebration" for the series, one way or another.

- 1964 gave us both Mothra vs. Godzilla and Ghidorah, introducing the monster to a whole new "shared universe", one of the first of its kind as other Toho creations crossed over.
- 1974 gave us MechaGodzilla, one of the most famous and unique giant robots in history.
- 1984 started the Heisei era and rebooted Godzilla to his more dark origins.
- 1994 gave us Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla, an all-out kaiju brawl in the 90s the likes of which the era hadn't really seen with Godzilla, SpaceGodzilla and Moguera.
- 2004 gave us Godzilla: Final Wars and ended the millennium era.
- 2014 gave us the start of the MonsterVerse and elevated the franchise to other huge, block buster series.

If we don't get another Godzilla MonsterVerse outing for the 70th, I really expect Toho to do something. I doubt we'll see another solo outing or reboot like Shin Godzilla, but I could see them trying another DAM-style but with the modern effects and CGI they now have. Or, at the very least, bringing all of their top creations together for one film. Its a crime we have never seen MechaGodzilla and Ghidorah standing face to face against Godzilla and his allies.

In short, while some may not like the idea, my actual hopes for the 70th would be a big budget "Showa" film. Bring in MechaGodzilla and Ghidorah, maybe Megalon and Gigan as well, as alien monsters. Revive the idea of a Monster Island and pit Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and Anguirus against the invaders. Toss in some cameos by other classics on the island too. It may sound cliche, but ever since 2012's Avengers, I've always wanted to see Godzilla in the center of a panning camera shot where he's flanked by Rodan, Mothra, Anguirus and some other beasts.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: 2024 - Godzilla's 70th, what do you expect/hope for?

Post by Terasawa »

I really don't expect another live action film from Toho until after the Monsterverse concludes, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is the first decennial anniversary without a live action Godzilla film.

And while the 1994 Godzilla film was GvSG (of course), the 40th anniversary film was Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:11 pm I really don't expect another live action film from Toho until after the Monsterverse concludes, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is the first decennial anniversary without a live action Godzilla film.
Could be another anime movie. Hell, I'd be game for an anime movie done right. Might even be the best way to revist the Showa era if Toho ever goes back to that timeline. Imagine 70's Godzilla doing anime tropes.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:11 pm I really don't expect another live action film from Toho until after the Monsterverse concludes, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is the first decennial anniversary without a live action Godzilla film.
Considering the MV didn't stop them from making Shin Godzilla I really hope that's not the case - I've been wanting another Reiwa movie for a long time now, so my only wish from Toho for 2024 (or any year honestly) is another live action film.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Vakanai wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:36 pm
Considering the MV didn't stop them from making Shin Godzilla I really hope that's not the case - I've been wanting another Reiwa movie for a long time now, so my only wish from Toho for 2024 (or any year honestly) is another live action film.
I think it was almost freak circumstances that brought us Shin Godzilla; I wonder if they would have even produced anything at all had Anno rejected the offer altogether. Personally, I don't think so & I think Anno's interest is what sealed the deal. That's the impression I get from what little I know about that film's development.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:27 pm
Could be another anime movie. Hell, I'd be game for an anime movie done right. Might even be the best way to revist the Showa era if Toho ever goes back to that timeline. Imagine 70's Godzilla doing anime tropes.
Oh my god please this! Sequel to the Showa Era done like an anime! Maybe even set between ‘75 and ‘99, oh I’m getting giddy :dizzy:

I need this, now! :mrgreen:
For Emperor and Empire!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:27 pm Could be another anime movie. Hell, I'd be game for an anime movie done right. Might even be the best way to revist the Showa era if Toho ever goes back to that timeline. Imagine 70's Godzilla doing anime tropes.
I need this injected into my veins
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:15 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:27 pm Could be another anime movie. Hell, I'd be game for an anime movie done right. Might even be the best way to revist the Showa era if Toho ever goes back to that timeline. Imagine 70's Godzilla doing anime tropes.
I need this injected into my veins
You and I… maybe we are the same.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Another LIVE ACTION film from Toho would be nice. Not anime movies. Not an anime series. Not a puppet Youtube series. Not shorts. Not a theme park ride. A live action movie.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm expecting another live action Toho movie TBH. I'm expecting the next MonsterVerse movie to be Kong related and MV Godzilla will still be off to the sidelines for a little while.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I can't even imagine there will be another MV movie until after 2024 at this rate. There's certainly time for Toho to develop and launch a live action Godzilla if they want, I just don't think they have much interest in doing that at present.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:43 pm
I think it was almost freak circumstances that brought us Shin Godzilla; I wonder if they would have even produced anything at all had Anno rejected the offer altogether. Personally, I don't think so & I think Anno's interest is what sealed the deal. That's the impression I get from what little I know about that film's development.
Isn't that kind of the opposite of how films get made? Like first they decide to make a film, and then they find the creatives. They didn't decide to make a film because Anno expressed interest, Anno expressed interest because they were making a film.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Vakanai wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:50 pm

Isn't that kind of the opposite of how films get made? Like first they decide to make a film, and then they find the creatives. They didn't decide to make a film because Anno expressed interest, Anno expressed interest because they were making a film.
No, a Toho rep actually approached Anno with the idea of doing a Godzilla. He turned it down but came around after Higuchi convinced him to accept.

Not all films are developed in-house, especially today.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:48 pm I can't even imagine there will be another MV movie until after 2024 at this rate. There's certainly time for Toho to develop and launch a live action Godzilla if they want, I just don't think they have much interest in doing that at present.
Considering how much Godzilla content they have been doing, I don't see the reasoning here. A lot of people have this "they should just hang back and collect that sweet sweet Monsterverse cash from Legendary" mentality, but I can't see any business being happy with that - it makes more sense for them to make various shorts, anime, rides, and yes films to strike while the iron is hot and make even more money. The whole take advantage of renewed interest while you can thing. And so far, that seems to be what they're doing. They did a film once, and I don't think it was some stars aligning just right situation - after 2014 bringing the big G back they felt there was money to be made with a film. I see no reason why that can't happen again.

Added in 2 minutes 12 seconds:
Terasawa wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:55 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:50 pm

No, a Toho rep actually approached Anno with the idea of doing a Godzilla. He turned it down but came around after Higuchi convinced him to accept.

Not all films are developed in-house, especially today.
...isn't that exactly what I said? They approached him. The fact that he said no and then changed his mind is irrelevant, that they approached him to begin with shows they wanted to make a movie. If he hadn't changed his mind they probably would've approached someone else. They wanted to have a new Goji film.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:48 pm I can't even imagine there will be another MV movie until after 2024 at this rate. There's certainly time for Toho to develop and launch a live action Godzilla if they want, I just don't think they have much interest in doing that at present.
I imagine Toho doesn't even know HOW to do a live action Godzilla movie if Godzilla can't be a stiff, slow moving mountain. Is their CGI even up to doing anything else?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:51 pm
I imagine Toho doesn't even know HOW to do a live action Godzilla movie if Godzilla can't be a stiff, slow moving mountain. Is their CGI even up to doing anything else?
Yes. The stiffness wasn't because their CG wasn't up to doing more, it's because that was the effect they were going for. It was a creative decision, not a technical limitation.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

From what I remember of Higuchi's G-FEST 2017 panel, he claimed that Shin Godzilla would not have been released in 2016 had KOTM not been pushed back to 2018/2019 (might be misremembering the dates). From what I gather, if Gareth Edwards had stayed attached to the sequel and production wasn't delayed, they'd have been working on Shin Godzilla well after 2016. So I assume there was some kind of clause Toho enacted with the production of Legendary's films that allowed them to put out the film in the interim.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

At this point I'd say its's a flip of a coin whether or not we'll get an MV film or Toho film.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:51 pm
Didn't they outsource most of the CGI anyway?
UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:58 pm From what I remember of Higuchi's G-FEST 2017 panel, he claimed that Shin Godzilla would not have been released in 2016 had KOTM not been pushed back to 2018/2019 (might be misremembering the dates). From what I gather, if Gareth Edwards had stayed attached to the sequel and production wasn't delayed, they'd have been working on Shin Godzilla well after 2016. So I assume there was some kind of clause Toho enacted with the production of Legendary's films that allowed them to put out the film in the interim.
This is kind of what I thought, too, although the 2014 announcement of production apparently contradicted that. My thought was that they approached Anno knowing they might be able to make a film to follow the 2014 film when another Legendary film wouldn't be in production. Shin was also 100% Anno's film -- he wrote the screenplay, wouldn't they have had to find another filmmaker who'd have to craft his own scenario?

So could they have gone ahead without him? Yeah, probably. But it just seems to me like Anno was always their first choice and it would have potentially taken longer then to get a Godzilla off the ground in the window they had. That's why I think it was a sort of lightning in a bottle scenario that produced Shin.

As for why I'm not betting on another Toho Godzilla -- IIRC, Toho's output is lower than it was even during the Millennium Series, i.e., they're making fewer movies in-house than they did the last time they were regularly making Godzilla movies. I'm not totally ruling out another live action film in the next three years, but I think it's very unlikely given the way they're running the studio these days *and* the fact that they've spent the better part of the last decade farming out anime projects to prop up the franchise during Legendary's off years. (And sorry, Vakanai, I'm not really interested in an extended debate on this. I just don't think it's a likely prospect.)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I feel like prior to the 70th anniversary we'll get more anime series and/or anime movies. I like Godzilla SP, and I'd be open to another more traditional anime, but I really want Toho to start making live action films again. I feel like the anime-type stuff should be in addition to films, not a replacement for them. Something around Shin-quality would be nice. I also think after Shin and SP, Toho needs to have better monster action.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.