2024 - Godzilla's 70th, what do you expect/hope for?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Re: 2024 - Godzilla's 70th, what do you expect/hope for?

Post by StardustGenius »

My hope is for a pair of movies, one from Japan and one from the US, and that they both be fun. I suppose those 4K broadcasts available on home media somehow. Maybe a decent real video game? And translated editions of the Godzilla Perfect Collection books. What I expect is lots of media buzz everywhere. Perhaps nearly obnoxiously everywhere even.

My biggest hope is for legit tokusatsu techniques to be used in some meaningful form during this period.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It's gonna be a lot of merchandise. Lots and lots of merchandise. Making Godzilla an international superstar is Toho's only goal now. So the 70th is going to be a good excuse for them to go insane.

And to address a couple things specifically. If the 4k transfers get released on home video it's only going to be in Japan. It's going to be a long time before those make their way here, if ever. As for translated Perfect Editions. Does that sort of thing ever happen?

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Translated Perfect Editions? In some franchises they do. Haven't seen that in Godzilla yet, but who knows. If nobody does by then, I'll try to directly commission translations myself.

4K transfers being available in Japan is probably the only way it's going to happen. Which sucks, yes. But it will also free up some of those rips being stuck in the hands of snobbish private collectors who don't like to share, and more often than not, actually do not value what they covet. I'm sure the subterfuge part of the fandom would welcome it (half heartedly). Straw hats, anarchists, whatever you wanna call them. I'll root for them.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:37 am But it will also free up some of those rips being stuck in the hands of snobbish private collectors who don't like to share, and more often than not, actually do not value what they covet. I'm sure the subterfuge part of the fandom would welcome it (half heartedly). Straw hats, anarchists, whatever you wanna call them. I'll root for them.
Can people not post things like this? People who have access to the 4k transfers from TV airings are under no obligation to spread them around to every fan on the planet. A friend was nice enough to give me a copy of the 4k version of KKvs G, long before it was released on UHD in Japan. Was I then obliged to show it everyone? No I was not, and I didn't. The people who get these are probably receiving them from personal friends and acquainces,, and would easily break someone's trust if they shared it to the fandom at large because a bunch of people they don't know felt entitled.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

"Entitled"

I'll leave that discussion for another thread. I'm sure we'd have a lot to discuss about hierarchies and horizontal structures in film preservation and archiving.

On the subject of home media, I'm reminded that I'd like to see what a Criterion Heisei Collection would look like. I have no idea where the rights for those movies are right now.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:13 pm
StardustGenius wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:37 am But it will also free up some of those rips being stuck in the hands of snobbish private collectors who don't like to share, and more often than not, actually do not value what they covet. I'm sure the subterfuge part of the fandom would welcome it (half heartedly). Straw hats, anarchists, whatever you wanna call them. I'll root for them.
Can people not post things like this? People who have access to the 4k transfers from TV airings are under no obligation to spread them around to every fan on the planet. A friend was nice enough to give me a copy of the 4k version of KKvs G, long before it was released on UHD in Japan. Was I then obliged to show it everyone? No I was not, and I didn't. The people who get these are probably receiving them from personal friends and acquainces,, and would easily break someone's trust if they shared it to the fandom at large because a bunch of people they don't know felt entitled.
Just ignore the poster, What is snobbish to them is not to you because you have friends as you said and you two are not going to convince each other otherwise. When ever someone has something someone else wants to see its going to always end up a from point of view topic.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Also, if someone DIDNT value what they coveted, wouldn't they be more inclined to spread it around like a cheap hooker?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:13 pm
Hey. Remember when people went around flaunting they had seen the design of Shin Godzilla before the actual reveal? And remember how that went down? Saying "I have this and you don't. And I won't share or show you" is hardly ever the right way to handle these things. Especially if certain things are on something like, say... a torrent. ;)
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:19 pm Also, if someone DIDNT value what they coveted, wouldn't they be more inclined to spread it around like a cheap hooker?
Please don't denigrate sex workers.

Many years ago there was a private collector for years who had access to the International Dub of The War Of The Gargantuas, sat on it, didn't want to share, and worse of all didn't understand what the big point was.

"It's just a dub after all."

Value is more than just the immediate worth of something.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:22 pm Saying "I have this and you don't. And I won't share or show you" is hardly ever the right way to handle these things.
Luckily I've never seen anyone actually SAY those words.

Are you and StardustGenius seriously saying that no one should ever say they've seen something unless they're willing to share it with the class? Is...everyone just mad because August Ragone keeps posting that he's seen the 4K airings and they can't. Because I don't know what else this could be about.

Also, a Criterion Heisei set would look exactly like the Showa one. Tohos ancient HI-Vision masters and whatever extras they feel like being generous with.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

It's going to be hilariously depressing if the Heisei movies get a better release than the Showa movies.

A welcome change, but a bitter one.

How's this for a prediction; Toho will redub the entire series, making all the old dubs disappeared forever. :(
Last edited by StardustGenius on Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:04 pm It's going to be hilariously depressing if the Heisei movies get a better release than the Showa movies.
Why would they? HOW would they?
How's this for a prediction; Toho will redub the entire series, making all the old dubs disappeared forever. :(
Chrispy_G, is that you?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:10 pm
StardustGenius wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:04 pm It's going to be hilariously depressing if the Heisei movies get a better release than the Showa movies.
Why would they? HOW would they?
Chrispy_G, is that you?
Christ no, I'm an anarchist. He and I would be natural enemies in the coming collapse.

As for WHY they would do that? Who knows, maybe they just treat Heisei better overall on a subconscience level.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:41 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:22 pm Saying "I have this and you don't. And I won't share or show you" is hardly ever the right way to handle these things.
Luckily I've never seen anyone actually SAY those words.
Those exact words? No. But you know damn sure that's EXACTLY what happened in 2016 around here and the events that followed when a certain someone who is, of course, totally not me decided to just go hog wild and post them on FB groups and Discord servers. And then the whole Godzilla vs. Judas fallout because people wanted to start throwing shit around about seeing a non-existent leaked script.
Are you and StardustGenius seriously saying that no one should ever say they've seen something unless they're willing to share it with the class?
If it is a certain "lost" gem like the aforementioned dub, or even behind the scenes images that are rarely seen? Abso-god damn-lutely. Or, at the very least, be secretly hoarding them to put in a book or something that actually gets released. I personally don't give a rat's ass about 4K transfers in general. Unless we're talking about something that can't be "shown" to others, like my old VHS tapes of the alternate dubs for Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster and Son of Godzilla, which I would love to pass around given the demand.

But if you just go about "well, I have them. I just don't want to show you or post them so people can see them." Well, if its anywhere online, someone's going to make it their goal to purposefully shit on your parade. And that's also totally not what happened in 2016 either.

What exactly is the point of trying to flex on someone that you have something that you're perfectly able to share and then just not do, just to say that only you and your inner circle can see?
Is...everyone just mad because August Ragone keeps posting that he's seen the 4K airings and they can't. Because I don't know what else this could be about.
I'm not really talking about the 4K transfers in general. I don't really pay all that much attention to what the fandom celebrities are going on about these days unless there's some sort of controversy, in which case I'll just start throwing gasoline on the fire if given the chance. :D
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

We got a Godzilla related tweet from John Carpenter and now an official Godzilla tweet in morse code that says "Godzilla is coming".
Last edited by OGMechaMothra on Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:08 pm We got a Godzilla related tweet from John Carpenter and now an official Godzilla tweet in morse code that says "Godzilla is coming".
John Carpenter IS a Godzilla fan lol.

Quote of the Year:

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:14 pm
OGMechaMothra wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:08 pm We got a Godzilla related tweet from John Carpenter and now an official Godzilla tweet in morse code that says "Godzilla is coming".
It is more of him teasing a Godzilla project though. He tagged shout factory, fangoria, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

After 60 years, we finally get a sequel to Godzilla vs the Thing.
Last edited by Spuro on Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:23 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:14 pm
It is more of him teasing a Godzilla project though. He tagged shout factory, fangoria, etc.
Heh. No lie, I'd be more hyped to hear what he does with the Godzilla theme over what he does with the character.

Quote of the Year:

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

John Carpenter makes Godzilla vs Barubaroi.

Tho in reality it's probably going to be that Gorgo vs Godzilla he talked about ages ago he made as a student film.

I want to add a further note that; for the longest time the International Dub of WOTG was extremely rare media, and a very nice fan was able to track down a VHS copy of one from the Netherlands and made her own custom, even though they didn't have to. This was years before Toho made the International Dub their official version that's on HBO Max now. Now the American Dub is a rare thing.

So proliferation of rare media imo, is always a great thing.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.